The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

steveespo new bullet for the 21 Car

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
My original Boss motor ran for ever and ever, my three custom builds did not, ... Nothing like stock factory running gear for long life, but for me, it seems that the shortblock and its assembly is the vital point. Hate seeing those videos of dead engines, all that hard work and $$😭 going up in smoke, been there, done that, Not healthy.

Hope you get back on the road soon!!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
My original Boss motor ran for ever and ever, my three custom builds did not, ... Nothing like stock factory running gear for long life, but for me, it seems that the shortblock and its assembly is the vital point. Hate seeing those videos of dead engines, all that hard work and $$😭 going up in smoke, been there, done that, Not healthy.

Hope you get back on the road soon!!
I've said it a million times....stock parts, SPC treated, blueprinted and assembled by Shaun at AED. If I can't break it, that's pretty dang good because I beat mine like a redheaded stepchild.
This is the same short block he builds for 1200 RWHP turbo motors. Just a thought....

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
So sad to see this. So much work into it, and it does that to you. Not fair. Not fair at all.

Monaca Pa
Well as many of you have followed this build I am sad to report the very premature demise of this engine. Really disappointing considering the care and quality parts that were put into it. It was a disappointment on power, which in hindsight may have indicated a problem somewhere, but there were no issues with oil pressure, compression or leakdown. Right up to failure it ran well, making decent power, on par with the 5.0 that preceded it. Running similar or better mph numbers at Watkins Glen and Road America. He is the Epitaph . I will be going back to factory built longblocks.
Was that at Pitt Race ?? Same place I blew up my engine 8/4/21

Last edited:

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I've said it a million times....stock parts, SPC treated, blueprinted and assembled by Shaun at AED. If I can't break it, that's pretty dang good because I beat mine like a redheaded stepchild.
This is the same short block he builds for 1200 RWHP turbo motors. Just a thought...
Yup, that sold me. If you and your 8300 rpm couldn't kill it, then it had to be ok for me!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Yup, that sold me. If you and your 8300 rpm couldn't kill it, then it had to be ok for me!
man there have been some runs where that 8200 rpm light was on for a looong time....no idea how high it went.
To the moon I'm sure.

There might not be a coincidence that you and @steveespo had the same engine injuries ( trying to use soft wording ) in the same place. Curious which cylinders went on Steve's. I think your engine didn't have any oil mods but Steve's did so wonder if it has something the do with oil stalling in the heads somewhere.

Here's the track breakdown for 5 turns before for someone that might understand the coyote better. 17-18 real hard right starts out flat then up hill ( decent grade), short up hill (decent grade) through 19 full throttle, front straight soft downhill soft up hill, hard brake, hard left through 1 and 2 ( decent grade), up hill ( decent grade ) up over knoll . Looks like engine issues start late through to just after 2.

I know there is a hard brake at the end of the straight but with the grades and hard rt and left is there front/mid engine oil starvation? Will being low 1/2 or even a full qt and all those factors do something? There's a bunch of us that run Pitt Race with coyotes and trying to be proactive. IDK I think too much. I'm going to check with my previous instructor and see if he can recall where he has see engine injuries the most. He's been out there in many track capacities over something like 15 years.

Edit- I run a qt over and check after every session to be safe. Gen 1 with 87 k and no oil mods makes me nervous.

Last edited:

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
I used to get pressure drop in the turns 8-9-10 complex at Mosport, in 10 it would frequently drop. That is a combination of 8 is a long sweeping uphill right turn at the end of the longest straight, then 9 is left and 10 is right. Both 9 and 10 are short and tight. That pressure drop hasn't happened since I changed the pan. I used a 10 quart Moroso road race pan. Cheap insurance for a track day car, plus the added oil volume is good.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Cylinders 1&5 are where the damage is on my 5.2. Definitely not oil starvation. Trap door GT500 pan, high volume pump, windage tray and crank scraper, and never lost pressure in the corners or under braking at Pitt or at Road America two weeks before. I believe the failure started with a dropped intake valve in cylinder #1. See photo taken through the see through block of the #1/5 rod journal. No evidence of oil starvation there.window on the block.jpg

Your engine knowledge is way more than mine and definitely not questioning you in any way. I'm just thinking out loud and learning. Ok good pressure. No issues for oil at the bottom of the engine. High flow. Front of engine went. Is it possible to starve the heads in the perfect storm with oil being "pooled" in the rear of the heads? If so, can that affect the valves and seats over time?

Here's an article about pressure and gpm I found.

IDK maybe I'm digging and just being a goof.

Monaca Pa
Cylinders 1&5 are where the damage is on my 5.2. Definitely not oil starvation. Trap door GT500 pan, high volume pump, windage tray and crank scraper, and never lost pressure in the corners or under braking at Pitt or at Road America two weeks before. I believe the failure started with a dropped intake valve in cylinder #1. See photo taken through the see through block of the #1/5 rod journal. No evidence of oil starvation there.View attachment 87976
IMG_1972.jpegIMG_1968.jpegIMG_1967.jpegIMG_1989.jpeg I didn’t drop a valve , but found out I had a fuel line that dropped fuel pressure from 60 psi to 40 psi and below at WOT . Also on start up on new engine the only used part ,oil pressure sender was blowing oil out the end thru the wires.
I should have put car into neutral.

TMO Supporting Vendors