The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

The GT350R

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
NFSBOSS said:
Looks like the liquid blue is not going to be an color offered on the car. Boo.

Boo is right. :mad: :mad: :mad: Now that I know I can't have it, I want it even more. And I'm pretty sure the only way to get it is to get one of the one-off auction cars that sell for a half mil. :'(

Unless production of the GT350R is limited by Ford, I wouldn't worry about ADM or allocations. This thing will almost certainly be priced right at the Z/28 pricing, so over $70K. Just like the Z/28, there will be an initial surge of 2-3000 cars, then it will be a traffic-driver sitting in showrooms for months. If you can cool off for a year, you'll have no problem finding one. Remember, a lot of people are waiting for the 2016 Camaro to appear, as well as the possible Challenger T/A, and that will soften sales of the GT350/GT350R. Even the Hellcats can be seen as competition, given that very few people actually drive on the track.

As GM found, the competition in the $70K+ price range is fierce. Lots and lots of options, and most of them come with optional automatics, heated/cooled leather, super NAV, killer stereos..... You are going to ask the average Joe, non-Mustang fanatic, who has never even seen a road course, to skip these cars for a "Ford Mustang":

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2015-porsche-cayman-gts-photos-and-info-news
http://www.caranddriver.com/alfa-romeo/4c
http://www.caranddriver.com/jaguar/f-type
http://www.caranddriver.com/chevrolet/corvette
http://www.caranddriver.com/bmw/m4
http://www.caranddriver.com/lexus/rc-f

coboss said:
Unless production of the GT350R is limited by Ford, I wouldn't worry about ADM or allocations. This thing will almost certainly be priced right at the Z/28 pricing, so over $70K. Just like the Z/28, there will be an initial surge of 2-3000 cars, then it will be a traffic-driver sitting in showrooms for months. If you can cool off for a year, you'll have no problem finding one. Remember, a lot of people are waiting for the 2016 Camaro to appear, as well as the possible Challenger T/A, and that will soften sales of the GT350/GT350R. Even the Hellcats can be seen as competition, given that very few people actually drive on the track.
Those "IFs" are the determining factors. Unless you were a good customer or had a relative that got an allocation, the Boss 302 was almost impossible to buy without ADM for the first year and the S197 was 7 years old at the time. The Z/28 is also on the "old" chassis which is certainly dampening demand. Hopefully they'll build to demand, but history shows they've limited production on most of the recent special edition Mustangs. Unfortunately patience isn't a virtue I was blessed with much of.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
cloud9 said:
Unfortunately patience isn't a virtue I was blessed with much of.

Quote of the day? :D I only think I'm patient...until I'm not. ;)

And directly from Ford...it sounds like R pricing is definitely under the Z/28 pricing. The only question to me is: Do they mean MSRP, or the currently discounted pricing?

Most likely the base. I'm not interested in the CF wheels or ADM but I could change my mind. Regardless I'm a second year buyer and will sit out the first year frenzy.

I wanted to check and see how I did on my predictions:

NFSBOSS said:
The R should have:

Carbon Ceramic Brakes or CCB's (hopefully this is an option) Still TBD but optional is best
Carbon Fiber wheels in 19x11 and 19x11.5 (hopefully this is an option) YES!
Michelin Pilot Cup tires specially designed for the R (similar to the Trefeo R on the Z/28 and P1) 305 up front and 325 in the rear. Close but I'm calling this yes. When I wrote this Michelin didn't make this tire in a 315 so that's a special size for the car.
Different dampers and my guess is some form of Multimatic's DSSV technology that's adjustable Nope. When I spoke with a Multimatic engineer he was referring to the race car which did get DSSV dampers in late summer.
Other suspension tweaks Yes but that was easy
Rear seat delete with a new design X brace What no X brace? Who cares if it's needed it looked cool on the Boss
Larger front splitter Yes
Rear wing Yes
Different mapping on the ABS etc. It's specific to the GT350 not just the R. But it's a big improvement over the GT
Possible additional weight savings Yes 130+ pounds
The track pack parts as standard Yes

My guess is the weight of the GT350 will be 50-100 lbs less and the GT350R will be 150-200 lbs less than the GT with the CCB's and CF wheels. TBD

The difference between the GT350 and GT350R will be much greater than the BOSS 302 and BOSS 302 LS. Definitely yes!

I also expect Ford Racing to make a S and C version using the FR500 identifiers. Or they could use S and RS with the C or RS being the CTSCC endurance racer and the S being the World Challenge sprint racer. TBD

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
X-brace if "not needed, but looks cool!" adds weight--that is a no-no! :)

For example, the strut tower brace on the boss weighs 7.8lbs! When you're talking about saving 130lbs total, you don't want to add that kind of stuff back in unless it's necessary!

buland said:
perhaps Rear view camera? but in the leaked orderform i don't see this option for the R.

The rearview camera may not be an option, it may be standard. All cars must have one by 2018, so almost all new designs are just integrating them in from the start.

TMO Supporting Vendors