The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

The GT350R

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArizonaBOSS said:
TBH it's a great way to make sure they are going to sell every single one produced, much like GM has allowed with the latest Z06 being offered in automatic and convertible versions.

Not everyone is a track dog :eek:

Definitely agree. That's just how I read the statement though as more of "sure if that's what you want to do, we will gladly take your money, but it's a bit against how we designed it". I would have to have AC and satellite radio in mine as it would be a DD. Doesn't matter really though because this will definitely be out of my league budget wise. I'll be fine with the regular 350 :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stereo requirement could be met with a bluetooth speaker fed by my phone...it's a little harder to work out a temporary A/C solution. the CF wheels scare me for track use...not because I don't think they're strong enough but because I'd be afraid of banging up something that expensive (assuming they're 'that' expensive).

I prefer the look of the standard car but feeling like I need a little more 'r' in my life. ;-)

I love my boss but I don't think I'm going to have a lot of trouble giving it up for the gt350r.

06mach1 said:
The wing looks like an oversize version of the 12-13 LS/CS spoiler.
Yep.

Ford-Mustang-Shelby-GT350R-114-876x535_zps0a3e4b3b.jpg
8fc4127f.jpg
IMG_1149.jpg

I like this car alot. I was critical of the new styling for the GT but the nose achieves a harmony with the lower fascia and spoIles that reduce its pinched look.

OLOABoss said:
At least GM on the Z/28 didn't charge extra for the AC. Unless you live in frigid country like ND or are going for full race car leaving out the AC is going to hurt resale value.

Car sounds like an awesome build though but very hardcore and I have a full track Civic Si so it looks like the GT350 with track pack is my choice for occasional track and fun street car. Of course this is pending Cloud9 and other early adopters doing the necessary debugging on the track. ;)

It is an awesome time to be a car guy isn't it. ;D

Peter
I'm certainly willing Peter, but am guessing delivery would be about this time next year so it wouldn't see the track for 3 montha after that once we thaw out in the tundra. I guess that would give me enough time to install a rollbar and race seats.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Gary, I'm sure if you order it, you'll be waiting longer than a year from today. But from the sound of it, the first deliveries are supposed to be within this calendar year. I'm hoping by summer or fall, if they open order banks by spring or summer.

Grant 302 said:
Gary, I'm sure if you order it, you'll be waiting longer than a year from today. But from the sound of it, the first deliveries are supposed to be within this calendar year. I'm hoping by summer or fall, if they open order banks by spring or summer.
Not sure I'm tracking? If they open order banks by spring/summer and deliveries by summer/fall, why would I wait longer than a year?

The bottom line is going to be allocation and build quantity. If it's real tight they'll be tough to get unless you want to pay the big ADM, which I don't. I guess it's going to remain a mystery until Ford announces the availability.

Grant 302

cloud9 said:
Not sure I'm tracking? If they open order banks by spring/summer and deliveries by summer/fall, why would I wait longer than a year?

The bottom line is going to be allocation and build quantity. If it's real tight they'll be tough to get unless you want to pay the big ADM, which I don't. I guess it's going to remain a mystery until Ford announces the availability.

Didn't that happen to a lot of the guys who ordered their Bosses? Like 6 to 8+ months from when the order banks opened?

I'm definitely waiting for the ADMs to calm down first, but I suspect getting one off the lot and outta state (for me) will be the fastest way to go.

Grant 302 said:
Didn't that happen to a lot of the guys who ordered their Bosses? Like 6 to 8+ months from when the order banks opened?

I'm definitely waiting for the ADMs to calm down first, but I suspect getting one off the lot and outta state (for me) will be the fastest way to go.
The dealers who received Boss allocations were put in line by quarter. Fortunately for me, my dealer's allocation was a Q1 build. I haven't heard how Ford is handling GT350 allocation, but am sure anxious to find out.

Grant 302

cloud9 said:
The dealers who received Boss allocations were put in line by quarter. Fortunately for me, my dealer's allocation was a Q1 build. I haven't heard how Ford is handling GT350 allocation, but am sure anxious to find out.

Thanks, I see now... I didn't know it was by quarter. Having ordered a GT in August 2010, I was on the sidelines telling myself, "I don't need a Boss" for 14 months before I caved. ::)

cloud9 said:

Stupid question, but when order banks open, if they do the GT350 the same way, how do you know what quarter your dealer build is? What are the chances of dealers telling customers "oh yeah, definitely early build" but that being false? How can one check that?

the quarterization of production expectations was fairly unique to the boss...partially drive, I suspect, by the reality that the boss shared nearly all it's production facilities / capacities with other vehicles...and that's going to be true of the gt350 as well but there will be additional dependencies as well. I suspect the engine will be the primary one given that it's suggested it will be built on the niche romeo production line...and I'm just not sure what else gets built there these days.

And recall that the allocation system used for the boss depended heavily on mustang sales...and Ford can use a lot of different variables to determine allocations for things...sometimes it can even come down, simply, to the relationship a particular dealer has with the factory / their individual rep.

On the question of dealer transparency, there really isn't a good way to have visibility beyond what the dealer's telling you. The best protection there is to deal with a dealer you trust.

That's what I'm worried about. I'm a bit of a new ford fanboy and have no dealer relations whatsoever. Oh well. We will see what happens. Sorry for derailing the thread :)

Looks like the liquid blue is not going to be an color offered on the car. Boo.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-shows/detroit-auto-show/news/g6019/ford-liquid-blue-at-naias-live-gallery/?

"When Ford rolled the GT, Raptor, and Shelby GT350R onstage this week, they all wore a new color: Liquid Blue. It's the Ford Performance signature hue, and it's not for sale.
By Chris Cantle

It's called "Liquid Blue," and it's the new paint color that signifies Ford Performance. At the Detroit Auto Show, the GT, GT350R, and Raptor all rolled onstage in the deep, eye-catching hue.

Visitors to the Detroit Auto Show will also see the Focus ST and Fiesta ST on the floor in Liquid Blue, but before you freak out and try to order a car in that shade, take a deep breath—it's not a production paint color.

Ford explained to us that "Liquid Blue" is a show-car color only, and that it's actually multiple layers of paint on the display cars.

Now, Ford also said that in the past, special show colors have made the transition to the production-car pallette, but right now Liquid Blue isn't in the running.

So, if you love it, email Ford. Say you want Liquid Blue, and maybe one day it'll be available on everything from the Focus ST to the Mustang EcoBoost to the Ford GT. For now, enjoy these photos of the car as it appears on the cars on display. "

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
NFSBOSS said:
Looks like the liquid blue is not going to be an color offered on the car. Boo.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-shows/detroit-auto-show/news/g6019/ford-liquid-blue-at-naias-live-gallery/?

"When Ford rolled the GT, Raptor, and Shelby GT350R onstage this week, they all wore a new color: Liquid Blue. It's the Ford Performance signature hue, and it's not for sale.
By Chris Cantle

It's called "Liquid Blue," and it's the new paint color that signifies Ford Performance. At the Detroit Auto Show, the GT, GT350R, and Raptor all rolled onstage in the deep, eye-catching hue.

Visitors to the Detroit Auto Show will also see the Focus ST and Fiesta ST on the floor in Liquid Blue, but before you freak out and try to order a car in that shade, take a deep breath—it's not a production paint color.

Ford explained to us that "Liquid Blue" is a show-car color only, and that it's actually multiple layers of paint on the display cars.

Now, Ford also said that in the past, special show colors have made the transition to the production-car pallette, but right now Liquid Blue isn't in the running.

So, if you love it, email Ford. Say you want Liquid Blue, and maybe one day it'll be available on everything from the Focus ST to the Mustang EcoBoost to the Ford GT. For now, enjoy these photos of the car as it appears on the cars on display. "

Figures. Because that is some color. It looks good on everything. I actually thought it might be the same blue that'she in the Ford emblem. Maybe we'll get lucky.

6 More Things:

http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_shows/detroit/2015/1501-6-things-we-learned-about-the-ford-shelby-gt350r-mustang/

1. It set a Nürburgring lap time
The Ford Shelby GT350R Mustang lapped dozens of tracks during development testing, primarily in the U.S., but Ford Performance also took the car to Germany's famed Green Hell. Pericak ran the stopwatch while the GT350R lapped the Nordschleife but hasn't yet decided if he'll share that number publicly.

"I have the time. Yeah, we're very happy with the performance of that car, extremely happy with its lap times," he says. "Of course we know what it'll run. We just don't want to engage in that debate."

2. The new aero package is actually functional
Rather than simply reducing lift, Pericak says the GT350R's splitter and rear wing actually help produce "fantastic downforce" that pushes the car toward the ground. "That wing was designed out on the race track," he says. "It wasn't just some wing that the [design] studio came up with and we said, 'Wow, does that look cool.'"

Unfortunately, because the GT350R isn't quite ready for production, Pericak won't give a specific downforce number so as not to mislead us before the car hits showrooms: "We're still fine tuning it."

3. This is one of the first road cars to use carbon-fiber wheels
Ford buys the 19-inch carbon-fiber wheels (11 inches wide in front, 11.5 inches rear) from a supplier that Pericak won't name. The wheels are 13 pounds lighter than standard steel or alloy wheels, and Ford says they also are stronger. Cutting that much weight will pay huge dividends in the car's acceleration, braking, and handling, Pericak promises.

"No other major manufacturer has ever done that [use carbon wheels], and that's just due to the technical challenges that are due to durability," he says. But Ford has put the carbon-fiber wheels through its usual durability testing and has no concerns that they'll be too fragile for road use: "We don't believe so at all, or we wouldn't be doing it."

Instead, Pericak said the most difficult things about developing carbon-fiber wheels involved making sure they won't fade from sunlight exposure, and ensuring the wheels won't be damaged by the immense heat produced by the Brembo brakes.

4. The Michelin PilotSportCup 2 tires were specifically tailored by Michelin for the GT350R
The high-performance tires -- 305/30ZR19 front, 315/30ZR19 rear -- have a special compound and tread pattern just for use on the Ford Shelby GT350R Mustang. Pericak says that Ford and Michelin worked on countless variables and changes, mostly concerning things like sidewall stiffness and the exact rubber compound used for the tread. Incidentally, those rear tires are slightly wider than those on a Camaro Z/28; that car packs 305/30ZR19 Pirellis all round.

5. Pricing will be somewhat reasonable
"It will not be out of reach of our competitors," Pericak says, though he of course can't yet offer an exact price for either the less-hardcore GT350 or this GT350R. But given that statement, we wouldn't expect the Ford Shelby GT350R Mustang to cost more than the Chevrolet Camaro Z/28, which starts at $75,000. More important, the addition of exotic bits like the carbon-fiber wheels won't make the R's price astronomical. Pericak said the price differential between the standard GT350 and the GT350R will be less than the gap between a well-equipped 2015 Ford Mustang GT and the regular GT350. Look for an official sticker price sometime this year.

6. It'll be a little louder and a little more powerful
One of the weight-saving measures was to remove the exhaust resonators that are fitted to the standard GT350. That means the GT350R will be louder and should produce a teensy bit more horsepower, though Pericak says Ford won't recertify the 5.2-liter flat-plane V-8 engine so it will get the same horsepower and torque rating as the non-R. But enthusiasts will know their GT350R makes just a little bit more power.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel