The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Track key update

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FYI. Here is the website about the TracKey. You can sign up to be notified when it's available.

http://trackey.ford.com/trackey/

So I just visited the TK website and it seems as though they took out the part where it said "Available late Summer 2011. Awaiting CARB approval."

Wondering if this means anything? ???

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Nor-cal Boss said:
So I just visited the TK website and it seems as though they took out the part where it said "Available late Summer 2011. Awaiting CARB approval."

It means they got sick of updating it from "March 2011" to "June 2011" to "Summer 2011" to "Late Summer 2011"

ArizonaGT said:
Nor-cal Boss said:

It means they got sick of updating it from "March 2011" to "June 2011" to "Summer 2011" to "Late Summer 2011"
Fall starts tomorrow.

I called the Ford Tech support Line. In the conversation, I asked if there was a chance the TracKey would not happen. They said no. They said they waiting on CARB. (Nothing new there.) Everything is ready and they are anticipating the approval any day now. I told them I was documenting and sharing the info and wouldn't care to have to call back in 3 weeks and hear the same thing. He still stuck with any day.

He indicated as soon as they got the approval it would be available for download for dealers within a day or two.

The interesting part of the conversation, I posed the question as to why would an aftermarket, performance modification that's for track purposes only have to be approved by CARB? Or worse case, why not just release it in the states that didn't have a problem with it. Then release it in CA when they came around. The response was they are going to be emissions compliant in all 50 states to release the update.

So if that's the case, then wouldn't that probably mean the package isn't going to be as optimally tuned as a package not taking emissions into account? Also, I've seen comments about the TracKey not being for Road use from a legal standpoint. That's not the case if the changes still meet emission standards, correct?

GA
frosty said:
I called the Ford Tech support Line. In the conversation, I asked if there was a chance the TracKey would not happen. They said no. They said they waiting on CARB. (Nothing new there.) Everything is ready and they are anticipating the approval any day now. I told them I was documenting and sharing the info and wouldn't care to have to call back in 3 weeks and hear the same thing. He still stuck with any day.

He indicated as soon as they got the approval it would be available for download for dealers within a day or two.

The interesting part of the conversation, I posed the question as to why would an aftermarket, performance modification that's for track purposes only have to be approved by CARB? Or worse case, why not just release it in the states that didn't have a problem with it. Then release it in CA when they came around. The response was they are going to be emissions compliant in all 50 states to release the update.

So if that's the case, then wouldn't that probably mean the package isn't going to be as optimally tuned as a package not taking emissions into account? Also, I've seen comments about the TracKey not being for Road use from a legal standpoint. That's not the case if the changes still meet emission standards, correct?

It sounds to me like you were mostly getting authorized talking points. You can't really expect to get the real scoop from the Ford CS line. Maybe the Ford guys at Track Attack will be more forthcoming.

GA
ArizonaGT said:
Nor-cal Boss said:

Kind of like when McDonalds changed the signs to read "Billions and Billions Served." ;)

GA
5 DOT 0 said:
MustangX3 said:
Can the TK really increase emissions that much? Wouldn't the cats overheat / stink if the fuel output was increased ?
I think the problem is the lopey idle. It's got to have a lot of overrun which means unburnt fuel. CA checks the emissions at idle and at a higher RPM, somewhere around 3,000.

Just fill up with some really cheap 87 octane gas, and you can at least have the lopey idle... ;)

Not to add salt to this, but just saw a new chevy commercial during the Barrett auction showing the camareo with a drag option! Something like a track key within the console, new in the spring 2012. Who will bring this out first? :-\

KYBOSSLS said:
Not to add salt to this, but just saw a new chevy commercial during the Barrett auction showing the camareo with a drag option! Something like a track key within the console, new in the spring 2012. Who will bring this out first? :-\

COPY CATS

KYBOSSLS said:

I believe that would be the launch control

svttim said:
KYBOSSLS said:

I believe that would be the launch control

Something that Corvettes had in model year 2010. Foreign exotics even earlier. However, I think Nissan gained the most notoriety with it.

TMO Supporting Vendors