The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

  • Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

TracKey is here! Those that are installing - please post!

I'm getting mine installed in mid June,needs to be inspected then.I'll have everything done the same day.June 5 and 6 are my track days at Miller Motorsport Park for the Track Attack program,I'm pretty excited.
 
So it saves the steering settings individually for the traction modes?

I thought it made all the settings a little stiffer for the steering, but I don't remember where I heard that.
 
ihatepotholess said:
My car came with steering in sports mode.

Mine came set to 'normal' but after I dialed it into sport I never went back. The feel is amazing!
Going to order that TrackKey soon too.

Is it really only suitable for track or does it drive fine on the regular road as well?
 
"Track use only" is just so it would get CARB cert, you will never use the regular key again. Just put good gas in it, at least 91 octane from a station where it doesn't get stale from sitting (ie don't buy gas at the station on Skyline). No issues running it on the street, just a little more engine braking, no skip shift (unless you have a 13), better noises.
 

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
CaliMR said:
So it saves the steering settings individually for the traction modes?

I thought it made all the settings a little stiffer for the steering, but I don't remember where I heard that.
no it doesnt save it like that. if you enable sport mode which is holding the brake depress the tcs botton twice it will take the steering to sport and it turns advanced track down some and traction control but both are still on. its in the boss owners manual I believe.

I read over the trackey operators instructions a few times and dont see any mention of steering modes. only mention of steering is about when you take it out of pit lane mode.
 

Dvendet

Everyone's entitled to my opinion. ;)
CaliMR said:
"Track use only" is just so it would get CARB cert, you will never use the regular key again. Just put good gas in it, at least 91 octane from a station where it doesn't get stale from sitting (ie don't buy gas at the station on Skyline). No issues running it on the street, just a little more engine braking, no skip shift (unless you have a 13), better noises.
Cali,

I've heard 2 different takes on the 13 Boss. One story goes that the 13 does not have skip-shift anymore. The other story is it has skip-shift and cannot be disabled even with the Trac-Key. Do you know what is the real deal?

Thanks,

MMD
 
MakeMyDay said:
CaliMR said:
"Track use only" is just so it would get CARB cert, you will never use the regular key again. Just put good gas in it, at least 91 octane from a station where it doesn't get stale from sitting (ie don't buy gas at the station on Skyline). No issues running it on the street, just a little more engine braking, no skip shift (unless you have a 13), better noises.
Cali,

I've heard 2 different takes on the 13 Boss. One story goes that the 13 does not have skip-shift anymore. The other story is it has skip-shift and cannot be disabled even with the Trac-Key. Do you know what is the real deal?

Thanks,

MMD
Straight from the V2.0 TK instructions:

"Skip-shift disable (2012 only)"

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CFkQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fordracingparts.com%2Ftrackey%2Finclude%2FTracKey_Customer_Instructions_V2.0.pdf&ei=zbC3T5iTF8aciALeocTkBg&usg=AFQjCNETjsne2-8q4nCDitJb1n7LbasdKg&sig2=JOHeYLeApFs3WoHXXnWd4Q
 

Dvendet

Everyone's entitled to my opinion. ;)
5 DOT 0 said:
MakeMyDay said:
CaliMR said:
"Track use only" is just so it would get CARB cert, you will never use the regular key again. Just put good gas in it, at least 91 octane from a station where it doesn't get stale from sitting (ie don't buy gas at the station on Skyline). No issues running it on the street, just a little more engine braking, no skip shift (unless you have a 13), better noises.
Cali,

I've heard 2 different takes on the 13 Boss. One story goes that the 13 does not have skip-shift anymore. The other story is it has skip-shift and cannot be disabled even with the Trac-Key. Do you know what is the real deal?

Thanks,

MMD
Straight from the V2.0 TK instructions:

"Skip-shift disable (2012 only)"

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CFkQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fordracingparts.com%2Ftrackey%2Finclude%2FTracKey_Customer_Instructions_V2.0.pdf&ei=zbC3T5iTF8aciALeocTkBg&usg=AFQjCNETjsne2-8q4nCDitJb1n7LbasdKg&sig2=JOHeYLeApFs3WoHXXnWd4Q
I have just read the instructions you linked to and I read this twice and I can interpret this 2 ways. I can see how someone might think that skip-shift is present in the 13 but cannot be disabled with track key now (which isn't the case with the 12's). Not clearly written IMO.
 
Someone with a 13 just needs to granny shift at 18 mph and see if it skip shifts, then we should know what the answer is. Though not having skip shift could explain the drop in mpg rating (I seem to remember there being one, but it should only affect city mpg).
 
CaliMR said:
Someone with a 13 just needs to granny shift at 18 mph and see if it skip shifts, then we should know what the answer is. Though not having skip shift could explain the drop in mpg rating (I seem to remember there being one, but it should only affect city mpg).

So far, even when I try to drive as fuel-efficient as I possibly can, it hasn't come on for me. Ever. 1000+ miles on it now. I really am wondering whether the car even has the feature....
 

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
TheMarco said:
CaliMR said:
Someone with a 13 just needs to granny shift at 18 mph and see if it skip shifts, then we should know what the answer is. Though not having skip shift could explain the drop in mpg rating (I seem to remember there being one, but it should only affect city mpg).

So far, even when I try to drive as fuel-efficient as I possibly can, it hasn't come on for me. Ever. 1000+ miles on it now. I really am wondering whether the car even has the feature....
try what I did. linger in 1st like you are going to super shift to second to create a burnout for the gods. thats when it would come on for me
 
TheMarco said:
CaliMR said:
Someone with a 13 just needs to granny shift at 18 mph and see if it skip shifts, then we should know what the answer is. Though not having skip shift could explain the drop in mpg rating (I seem to remember there being one, but it should only affect city mpg).

So far, even when I try to drive as fuel-efficient as I possibly can, it hasn't come on for me. Ever. 1000+ miles on it now. I really am wondering whether the car even has the feature....

I'm with you, I tried to force the skip shift, however could not get it to happen in the '13. Wonder if the '13's don't have it or else I just can't bring myself to baby it that much ;)
 

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
1,242
71
Sounds like a good problem to have x2, not getting skip shift to activate and shifting like a madman!
 
BossJockey said:
A few questions for the guys that have been using Trackey for a few months.

1. Gas mileage with Trackey. I fill up the car before getting the Trackey. Then I drove about 100 miles with Trackey, more aggressively and with more idling that usual. I fill her up and my gas mileage was about the same as I normally get. Have you guys noticed any change in gas mileage with the Trackey?

2. Idle RPM. My car idles 100 rpm higher with Trackey than it does with the silver key. It does this either with or without the lopey idle active. Do they all do that?

3. Launch Control. Is it better to use the Launch Control with the traction control on or off? I did one test at 2500 rpm with the traction control on and it still put down two 15ft black stripes. :eek: The instructions say for best results to turn off traction control. I may do an autocross next weekend and I was wondering what has been your experience with it.


1) I have noticed worse fuel efficiency when using track key. Mainly I find this on the highway: driving in townI am getting around 21.5 MPG with either key.

2) I have noticed the track key idles higher. This may be to support a lopier idle or it may be to increase coolant flow while the car idles after a hard track session.

3) Launch control works great with traction control on and is nearly useless with advancetrac off. I have actually spoken to my Ford Racing dealer about this and they were going to contact Ford Racing product support about this subject. My concern is that, the only time I really care about having launch control (while I'm starting an autocross run), I'm not going to have advancetrac on and, therefore, launch control doesn't really work.
 
5 DOT 0 said:
Boss #2452 said:
1) I have noticed worse fuel efficiency when using track key. Mainly I find this on the highway: driving in townI am getting around 21.5 MPG with either key.
Wow you're not having any fun with your Boss. ;) I'm usually in the 13 MPG range with either key.

I try not to have too much "fun" while I'm driving around town. It is tempting to run the engine out too much just because it sounds so damn good, but I try to keep shift at 2000 RPM to save fuel. I drive the car almost every day, so I'd like to save my discretionary funds for going racing on the weekends isntead of racing stop-light to stop-light like the rest of the idiots (You know, the ones in Toyota's with cellphones on their ears).

That said, I just placed second in class at a local autocross last weekend. I found the fastest way around the course was side-ways in a cloud of tire smoke. Sound like fun to you?
 
Boss #2452 said:
I try not to have too much "fun" while I'm driving around town. It is tempting to run the engine out too much just because it sounds so damn good, but I try to keep shift at 2000 RPM to save fuel. I drive the car almost every day, so I'd like to save my discretionary funds for going racing on the weekends isntead of racing stop-light to stop-light like the rest of the idiots (You know, the ones in Toyota's with cellphones on their ears).

That said, I just placed second in class at a local autocross last weekend. I found the fastest way around the course was side-ways in a cloud of tire smoke. Sound like fun to you?
That's better. :D You have more will power than me to shift at 2,000 RPM's. Enjoy your Boss.
 

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel
Top