The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Transformation of Sweet Lorraine Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Worked on removing the entire Battery Cable harness most of the day yesterday. Did it on jack stands and removing the battery, battery tray and front tires made thing a bit more accessible. This is not as easy as one would think. Aside from some stubborn connectors and figuring out a way to get at some hidden nuts and bolts the only thing that prevented me from pulling it out entirely was these two cables that run up and over the mid section of the transmission. They run from the passenger side to the drivers side of the car and hook up to the O2 sensors. The rearward one came out relatively easy but the front has two connectors and a couple of push pins that are making things difficult. I've tried sliding the cables back and forth over the top of the tranny but can't seem to get them to pull through.

On the off chance someone may have done this before, perhaps you could share some advise. I know I could just cut the connectors off but I'll still have to fish the new cables back through anyway. I'm really hoping not having to drop the tranny as all this work is being done on my back.

These pictures aren't the greatest but the best I could manage on my old back.

Battery Cable Assembly (27).jpgBattery Cable Assembly (28).jpg

carver

breaker of wrenches
ontario
Worked on removing the entire Battery Cable harness most of the day yesterday. Did it on jack stands and removing the battery, battery tray and front tires made thing a bit more accessible. This is not as easy as one would think. Aside from some stubborn connectors and figuring out a way to get at some hidden nuts and bolts the only thing that prevented me from pulling it out entirely was these two cables that run up and over the mid section of the transmission. They run from the passenger side to the drivers side of the car and hook up to the O2 sensors. The rearward one came out relatively easy but the front has two connectors and a couple of push pins that are making things difficult. I've tried sliding the cables back and forth over the top of the tranny but can't seem to get them to pull through.

On the off chance someone may have done this before, perhaps you could share some advise. I know I could just cut the connectors off but I'll still have to fish the new cables back through anyway. I'm really hoping not having to drop the tranny as all this work is being done on my back.

These pictures aren't the greatest but the best I could manage on my old back.

View attachment 65128View attachment 65129

Be careful securing the O2 cables. When I bought my Boss (used ) the dealer had put a new clutch in it but one of the O2 wires was left laying against the header and it melted and caused grief.. Kept triggering Limp mode.... Real PITA. !! Finally found it myself when I got the car on a hoist. All good since. Dang dealers can never be trusted !!

TymeSlayer

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Battery Cable transfer done. Yep, it sat up on jack stands all this tyme. Between my mother-in-laws health issues, a ton of graduation parties and work, I just couldn't git 'er done. Dropped the tranny about an inch for clearance and it worked but I had to use a coat hanger to pull the cable up and over the top of the tranny. Thanks guys. I used heat shield tape to wrap the crap out of any cable that was near any heat source. Alternator was swapped out as well as the CPS. Did not tackle the VCT and wiring harness yet. Took her out for two twenty minutes spins and no problem yet but I'm skeptical. The car runs beautifully. It'll be 80 today and I'll get her out for a good drive and see what happens.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Good luck tyme.

I just got my Boss back on the road myself. Drivers side primary chain tensioner was bad. Only takes ten minutes to change the part🤡😳 once you take the radiator out and remove the front of the motor.
Get your girl up and running and I’ll bring my Boss to Hastings for a “Family Picture”.

TymeSlayer

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Dare I dream?

Out for about a half hour and no problem but did throw a code P0442 again for a small leak in the EVAP. This has been intermittent for years and although I've thrown fixes at it, it has never gone away completely. Been just clearing it but, this year I'll have to see if it sneaks through inspection.

I'm still not convinced the electrical problem has gone away because it's been relatively cool out. When it's cooler out it takes much longer for the light show on the dash and the starting issue to appear. Next week the eighties will arrive and then the real testing will commence.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I found my P0442. code to be from the gas filler neck. The flapper would not seal well all the time. I put a piece of tape over the filler and the code went away. Clean the filler and lube it up with WD-40 occasionally. It worked for me.

Last edited:

TymeSlayer

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
I'm taking her over to Finish Line some tyme in January and have the boys look it over again. I'll have to put it in the car hauler since it's a drive and the car hasn't been registered all of this year. They promise they'll get to the bottom of this problem so I'm going to sign up for the round-up in Colorado Springs over Father's Day weekend and hopefully get her back on the track at Pikes Peak International Raceway this summer. Maybe get out to High Plains with NASA and maybe back out to Hastings in the fall. The car runs great but it's the same problem with the car going electrically dead on me after it gets warmed up. You have no idea how frustrating it is.

That's for asking Charles and Merry Christmas and Happy New Years to you and your growing family!

TymeSlayer

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Charles,

The car's been sitting around in the garage all winter. Never got it over to Finish Line this winter with all that's been going on at the homestead. I did have it out and about the other day without problems but the cool weather helps and it was only for about a half hour. I'm retiring at the end of March and will start in earnest of getting the car id track condition again.

Family is fine, thanks for asking and I hope yours is as well. My daughter Ava got accepted at the School of mines for Mechanical Engineering and long term is looking at either Aerospace or Environmental Engineering. We are so proud of her. She may be pretty like her mother but she smart like her Papa!

BTW - I got a call from a recruiter from Littleton who tells me he's been looking for a Black and Red Laguna Seca Boss 302 but to no avail. I'm not suggesting your car for sale but he seems to think they're awful hard to find. He is looking for one to track and has raced other cars at HPR.

Kirk

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel