The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Washing and Waxing the Boss?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

batman48195

I never get tired of driving it!
Jeff,
It looks great!! I plan on putting on the Klasse AIO and SG this weekend. Thanks for posting.

Also, how long did it take you? It sounds like a pretty reasonable effort.

Thanks,
Brian

Hi Brian,

With detailing its all about the prep work frankly. The application of Klasse and removal is quite easy and if you only count the time to put it on and take it off its likely less than an hour for each step, so 3 hours to be safe.

That said, if you include the effort to wash and claybar, plus time to let the coat's of SG sit a bit, you can do the whole thing in about 8 hours, but that includes at least 2 hours of down time between SG coats to allow it to fully adhere. Some people leave it on overnight, but I've never noticed much (if any) improvement from doing so, I've done many comparative tests over the years.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
Easy now, I wasn't questioning your integrity, just prodding for some pictures, thanks for the hood shot. Looks great!

batman48195

Thanks Jeff. I bought the clay bar but didn't know if it was a necessary step on a new car. What difference do you see when you use the clay bar?

As for the photo you took. I see the same thing when I look at the car. Parts look more yellow and some more orange depending on how the light hits it. Its not a tri-coat color like GHIG, but it does have depth to it.

I am looking forward to getting a good wax on the car. I really want to get it done so bugs and other road grime will wash off easily.

Thanks again,
Brian

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
batman48195 said:
Thanks Jeff. I bought the clay bar but didn't know if it was a necessary step on a new car. What difference do you see when you use the clay bar?

As for the photo you took. I see the same thing when I look at the car. Parts look more yellow and some more orange depending on how the light hits it. Its not a tri-coat color like GHIG, but it does have depth to it.

I am looking forward to getting a good wax on the car. I really want to get it done so bugs and other road grime will wash off easily.

Thanks again,
Brian
clay bar your new car? Yes.

batman48195 said:

Thanks again,
Brian

Brian, generally yes. In my case, my car sat outside for over a month and definitely needed it. You can use a plastic bag between your finger and the paint after the car is washed to feel for impurities clay barring will get and to decide if you think its necessary.

ace72ace

OT for this thread, but my "DRL" thread got no love... When your car ('13 Boss) is running and the headlamp switch is off, are the outboard LED lights on, in passive mode that can't be turned off?

batman48195

ace72ace said:
OT for this thread, but my "DRL" thread got no love... When your car ('13 Boss) is running and the headlamp switch is off, are the outboard LED lights on, in passive mode that can't be turned off?

They are on all the time. No way to turn them off as far as I know, unless they are on a separate fuse circuit. They look sweet on. No reason to turn them off. See video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8SaMsUCv4A

Thanks,
Brian

Its great seeing that the stripes handle well with the sealants and waxes.This really takes way my concern. But now another question emerges for us recieving our cars in the immediate future. Is claying part of the first wash?

ace72ace

Absolutely, especially cars shipped by rail, loads of contaminants on them. Do the 'baggie test' and see for yourself.

The first wash &wax/sealant is arguably the most important. Give yourself time to do it well and it will be much easier to maintain over the years.

Justin

askjeffro said:
The first wash &wax/sealant is arguably the most important. Give yourself time to do it well and it will be much easier to maintain over the years.
+1
Think of it like building a house if your foundation is $hit the house will be $hit

ace72ace

So for the very first from the factory application, how many layers of (insert Zaino product here) would you apply after the first dawn, clay, Z7? I don't care if I use a whole bottle of Z2 or Z5, the first 2 days home will be devoted to sealing up the finish.

Justin

ace72ace said:
So for the very first from the factory application, how many layers of (insert Zaino product here) would you apply after the first dawn, clay, Z7? I don't care if I use a whole bottle of Z2 or Z5, the first 2 days home will be devoted to sealing up the finish.
for me after the second wash.....
AIO
z-6
Z-5(ZFX aadditive)
Z-6
Z-5 (w/ZFX)
Z-6
Z-2 (with additive)
Z-6
Z-CS
24 hours
Z-8
I like to just keep doing the Z-5x2 Z-2 CS over and over every weekend that I can just see how much better it can get....but then I made the mistake of putting Adams Americana wax over the top the Zaino....I know will be just adding a new layer of that every weekend till it needs clay bar'd again

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel