The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Washing and Waxing the Boss?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quick question for the wax gurus: I have been using synthetic wax because it is less abrasive on the vinyl, is fast and easy to apply, and have had good luck with it on other cars, but it just isn't cutting it on this car. I am getting little abrasions under the dead bugs and stuff. So I want to switch to a regular wax to see if that helps.

Can I apply regular wax directly over the synthetic wax or do I need to strip it?

If I need to strip it, Dawn dish soap? Or is there a better way?

I haven't decided what wax to use, I have been using synth on all my cars for a long time and don't even remember what I used to use before.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
CaliMR said:
Quick question for the wax gurus: I have been using synthetic wax because it is less abrasive on the vinyl, is fast and easy to apply, and have had good luck with it on other cars, but it just isn't cutting it on this car. I am getting little abrasions under the dead bugs and stuff. So I want to switch to a regular wax to see if that helps.

Can I apply regular wax directly over the synthetic wax or do I need to strip it?

If I need to strip it, Dawn dish soap? Or is there a better way?

I haven't decided what wax to use, I have been using synth on all my cars for a long time and don't even remember what I used to use before.
you can apply it over the synth wax.

if you want to strip the old wax just giving it a good clay barring will do the trick, dawn will also work

I recommend using adams americana wax, flat out fantastic results easy to apply and remove
http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-423-adams-americana-premium-carnauba-paste-car-wax.aspx

Justin

here is thread where I have done what you are asking about with pictures
https://trackmustangsonline.com/boss-302-general-forum/13-layers-of-zaino-with-2-layers-of-admas-americana-wax-pictures/

Thanks, I'll see if the local place has the Adams. I'm not doing 13 layers of Zaino though, I like the way it looks but I know myself well enough that I would just say **** it after 2 layers (at most) and just go drive the car.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
After 5 layers of z2 and z6 in between and then another wash, z6 and the z8 I'm getting burned out. I'm only sticking with this because it the very first application and I want the paint protected. Found some road tar on my rocker panel before yesterday's z8 treatment, and it wiped right off with a wet paper towel. The dead bugs also come right off with a blast of the hose, so I guess its all worth it.

Posting more pix in Justin's Zaino thread...

Justin

CaliMR said:
Thanks, I'll see if the local place has the Adams. I'm not doing 13 layers of Zaino though, I like the way it looks but I know myself well enough that I would just say **** it after 2 layers (at most) and just go drive the car.
if you are swirl free doing the adams would take oh about an afternoon if you wanted to clay bar it then do a glaze coat then two coats of the americana. My GF's car is solely just adams and it looks great. Her car stays cleaner for longer even after driving it in the rain. I am very impressed with the americana. here are some pics of her car. this is just one coat
150099_413813795317864_2058829511_n.jpg

75283_413813625317881_1281820298_n.jpg

581998_411175338915043_782228702_n.jpg

545998_411175232248387_1091559153_n.jpg

72905_411174998915077_1073540883_n.jpg

I don't even know what a glaze coat is. I don't want to clay bar it again because I just did it a couple months ago while trying to fix the imperfections and they say not to do it too often.

I do have some water spots on the black bits, what is a good way to get rid of them? They aren't that bad but this is my first black car, even partially, so not sure how to deal with them. I use a filter now so I don't think I am getting more of them, luckily, and I am trying to find a cheap electric leaf blower since I can't air dry by driving as I have a partial dirt driveway and even creeping through it would dirty the car.

Hey Dudes - -question:

How often do you wax ? I've waxed it 3 times so far 2x w/ turtle 1x with the Americana - 4k miles on it - I just use trutlewax ice or if I have time i got the mcguires*sp Americana wax - i like the ice cause you can rub that shiznit over everything and its fast

Mine is garage kept but i take it out sat/sun and a few nights a week at least for a spin down the highway - dying to track it but just so damn busy.

I wash it pretty often 2x a week is pretty normal for me - and i use 2 bucket adams towels n stuff like that - leaf blower - doorjams trunk and engine bays etc

Used the Boss cover once and put it back in the box - i should sell it haha

Just wonderin what everyone else does and is too much waxing bad good etc

Justin

CaliMR said:
I don't even know what a glaze coat is. I don't want to clay bar it again because I just did it a couple months ago while trying to fix the imperfections and they say not to do it too often.

I do have some water spots on the black bits, what is a good way to get rid of them? They aren't that bad but this is my first black car, even partially, so not sure how to deal with them. I use a filter now so I don't think I am getting more of them, luckily, and I am trying to find a cheap electric leaf blower since I can't air dry by driving as I have a partial dirt driveway and even creeping through it would dirty the car.
Glaze is this
http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-525-adams-brilliant-glaze.aspx

if you use this system you can get rid of swirls and water spots. The polishes can be used by hand but will take much longer to get results
http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-733-adams-basic-porter-cable-7424-xp-polisher-kit.aspx

I use the flex kit
http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-738-adams-basic-flex-xc-3401-vrg-polisher-kit.aspx

I would at least clay the black bits again. And if the spots aren't bad you can give something like megiuars ultimate compound a shot before you go sinking a bunch of money into one of the above systems. Then hit it with a glaze coat then some adams americana wax should look just fine.

***Do not use the ultimate compound on the vinyl decals!!!**** this will only scratch them. only thing I have found so far to do anything at all to remove the swirl marks out of this is layering Z5 on them. Helps but doesnt get rid of them completely.

Justin

LP Heaven said:
Hey Dudes - -question:

How often do you wax ? I've waxed it 3 times so far 2x w/ turtle 1x with the Americana - 4k miles on it - I just use trutlewax ice or if I have time i got the mcguires*sp Americana wax - i like the ice cause you can rub that shiznit over everything and its fast

Mine is garage kept but i take it out sat/sun and a few nights a week at least for a spin down the highway - dying to track it but just so damn busy.

I wash it pretty often 2x a week is pretty normal for me - and i use 2 bucket adams towels n stuff like that - leaf blower - doorjams trunk and engine bays etc

First thing I do on a car is
dawn wash
clay
wash
(if the car is blemish free I go straight to this)
Z-AIO
Z-6 wipe down
ZFX enhanced Z5
Z-6
Z-5 again
Z-6
ZFX enhanced Z-2
Z-6
Z-CS (much like turtle ice but you dont have to wipe it off)
wait an hour or two wipe it down Z-8

This is my base then about once a month I will layer some more coats on it of either Z-2 or Z-5 in the mean time I wash it with Z7 (car wash) then wipe it down with Z-6 or Z-8

I like the results of the Americana on top of the zaino but it didnt last as long as my GF's car with just straight wax on it but it takes only 20 mins to do a full coat of the Adams wax vs the 3 or so hours to do three layers of zaino. I feel the zaino lasts longer and it leaves no residue at all so that is nice.

So I think you are fine with washing it 1-2 times a week and a coat of wax about once or twice a month. Just be sure to clay it about every other oil change or every 6 months.

Sesshomurai

Do most of these techniques work with metallic paint? Or not so much?

Justin said:
LP Heaven said:
Hey Dudes - -question:

First thing I do on a car is
dawn wash
clay
wash
(if the car is blemish free I go straight to this)
Z-AIO
Z-6 wipe down
ZFX enhanced Z5
Z-6
Z-5 again
Z-6
ZFX enhanced Z-2
Z-6
Z-CS (much like turtle ice but you dont have to wipe it off)
wait an hour or two wipe it down Z-8

This is my base then about once a month I will layer some more coats on it of either Z-2 or Z-5 in the mean time I wash it with Z7 (car wash) then wipe it down with Z-6 or Z-8

I like the results of the Americana on top of the zaino but it didnt last as long as my GF's car with just straight wax on it but it takes only 20 mins to do a full coat of the Adams wax vs the 3 or so hours to do three layers of zaino. I feel the zaino lasts longer and it leaves no residue at all so that is nice.

So I think you are fine with washing it 1-2 times a week and a coat of wax about once or twice a month. Just be sure to clay it about every other oil change or every 6 months.

Thanks for the reply Justin - i think im too dang slow - it took me 2 hours to wash - im WAY to OCD - and now im about to wax - prolly take me at least an hour - would love to zaino but no way would i finish the base stuff in a weekend haha

Justin

LP Heaven said:
Thanks for the reply Justin - i think im too dang slow - it took me 2 hours to wash - im WAY to OCD - and now im about to wax - prolly take me at least an hour - would love to zaino but no way would i finish the base stuff in a weekend haha
No problem

I'm going to give the Americana wax a try, but what do you guys use for the black plastic? Part of the reason I like synthetic wax is that it can be used on the black plastic too and does not leave the white scum. If I overpsray with the wax, is there something good to use on the plastic to get the white gunk off?

Justin

CaliMR said:
I'm going to give the Americana wax a try, but what do you guys use for the black plastic? Part of the reason I like synthetic wax is that it can be used on the black plastic too and does not leave the white scum. If I overpsray with the wax, is there something good to use on the plastic to get the white gunk off?
I use adams super vrt and in and out spray combo. all purpose cleaner to get wax residue off. the super vrt is dry to the touch right after you apply it which is very nice

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-518-adams-in-and-out-spray-dressing-3-pack.aspx
http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-510-adams-super-vrt-tire-trim-combo.aspx

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=0t5H821fF7Y#![/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=w6PUFoCKyks[/youtube]

TMO Supporting Vendors