The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Washing and Waxing the Boss?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
killerwill13 said:
ace72ace said:
Absolutely, especially cars shipped by rail, loads of contaminants on them. Do the 'baggie test' and see for yourself.

Well thats going on my first wash checklist. Luckily all my car care products are coming in today.

Where are the pix after the first detailing?

ace72ace said:
killerwill13 said:
ace72ace said:
Absolutely, especially cars shipped by rail, loads of contaminants on them. Do the 'baggie test' and see for yourself.

Well thats going on my first wash checklist. Luckily all my car care products are coming in today.

Where are the pix after the first detailing?
I havent had a chance to take any since I have been out of town and now I got it dirty again from showing it off to friends once I got back. Im planning on doing a huge detail this week on it so I will post some then...

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
After a clay you are on the 'blank canvas' stage, you are ready to get started laying down wax/polish, depending on the brand of products you picked. Follow the manufacturers instructions and you'll be good to go.

batman48195

I never get tired of driving it!
I used the Morhers clay kit and it has detailing spray that you use to clay the car. It seems like it would leave something behind. The car is as smooth as a babys butt right now I woul think I would have to wash it to get the detailing spray off before waxing?
Right or wrong?

Brian

batman48195 said:
I used the Morhers clay kit and it has detailing spray that you use to clay the car. It seems like it would leave something behind. The car is as smooth as a babys butt right now I woul think I would have to wash it to get the detailing spray off before waxing?
Right or wrong?

Brian
No do not wash it after claying it. You will want to polish or use another type of surface treatment after you clay. And after that step then you apply a wax/sealant.

I agree Brian, a detailing spray is likely leaving something behind. That said, the clay I use "Clay Bar" has a dedicated lube, its not a detailing spray, so I've never had a chance to really examine a detailing spray as a lube. All said though, you are likely fine.

batman48195 said:
Thanks. I will move forward with the Klasse All in One.

Brian

Ah, if you are using the KAIO you will be fine, the AIO has a mild cleaner that is sure to give you a clean surface for the sealant. Enjoy.

A few days ago I used a clay bar, polish, put a quick sealant, then finished with a wax. The sealant then wax may be overkill but I am able to get the bugs and bird crap off my car with no effort. I have always clayed using a detail pray to lube. Don't wash the car after claying. Put a polish on then proceed with a sealant or wax. Use only top of the line microfiber towels to make sure the swirls are limited. Do not go cheap when it comes to microfiber towels.

I also detail spray my car every other day to keep it looking good and once a week I put a glaze on the car to make it shine more. I will usually clay my cars every 4 months.

IMG_0004.jpg

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
knappj69 said:
A few days ago I used a clay bar, polish, put a quick sealant, then finished with a wax. The sealant then wax may be overkill but I am able to get the bugs and bird crap off my car with no effort. I have always clayed using a detail pray to lube. Don't wash the car after claying. Put a polish on then proceed with a sealant or wax. Use only top of the line microfiber towels to make sure the swirls are limited. Do not go cheap when it comes to microfiber towels.

I also detail spray my car every other day to keep it looking good and once a week I put a glaze on the car to make it shine more. I will usually clay my cars every 4 months.

IMG_0004.jpg
looks great. you do what I do with the wipe downs every other day or every day just depends. What brand towels are you using? I have found great success with griots garage blue and green towels and just picked up there microfiber wax removal towels (they are GREAT!!) for drying I use adams great white drying towels and a leaf blower. Just picked up a griots garage drying towel going to give that a try the next wash.

[/quote]looks great. you do what I do with the wipe downs every other day or every day just depends. What brand towels are you using? I have found great success with griots garage blue and green towels and just picked up there microfiber wax removal towels (they are GREAT!!) for drying I use adams great white drying towels and a leaf blower. Just picked up a griots garage drying towel going to give that a try the next wash.
[/quote]

I use the single microfiber towels from Adams to wipe down the car when I use the detail spray. I find their double soft towel to be too thick. I also use the great white towel for drying. I only use Adams products. A little pricy but I always get excellent results. I won't even try anything else.

Justin

knappj69 said:
I use the single microfiber towels from Adams to wipe down the car when I use the detail spray. I find their double soft towel to be too thick. I also use the great white towel for drying. I only use Adams products. A little pricy but I always get excellent results. I won't even try anything else.
I have both there single and double soft. I too think the double softs are too thick. I like the griots over the single soft they seem to absorb better and they cost 16.99 for three. And advanced autos are starting to carry them. I still use all four of them. I have about 40 or so towels total griots/zaino/adams.

I just bought a metro air blaster to dry my Boss off with and right now I run into the problem of searching for the best microfiber to use for polishing and waxing and such. I see some people mentiong griots garage and adams. Any good insight on some that work well.

Justin

killerwill13 said:
I just bought a metro air blaster to dry my Boss off with and right now I run into the problem of searching for the best microfiber to use for polishing and waxing and such. I see some people mentiong griots garage and adams. Any good insight on some that work well.
both are great single soft Adams great white drying towel some glass towels and your set discount code bliss for 15% off

batman48195 said:
killerwill13 said:
I just bought a metro air blaster to dry my Boss off.

What model did you buy of the air blaster.
Thanks
Brian
I ordered the the air force blaster. To me it seemed the best for the money. Plus I watched some good reviews on it.

http://www.autogeek.net/metairforbla.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCFwa0tmrjo

TMO Supporting Vendors