The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What did you do to your Boss 302 or S197 today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Re: What did you do to your boss today?

GTMikey said:
So cylinder 1=158, 2=162, 3=155, 4=160, 5=170, 6=162, 7=162, 8=170.

My understanding is that 170 is the pass pr good number. Any thoughts, opinions or knowledge out there??

Using 170 PSI as your target;
Standard rule of thumb on compression tests is as long as the cylinders are within 10% of the highest to lowest, you are O.K. 17PSI from the highest of 170 to the lowest of 155 is still within acceptable range, your largest difference is 15 PSI.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic

Rear rotors and pads for the GT:
15460124999_3cfeb00f29.jpg

302 Hi Pro said:
Grant: that is a good thought, my Boss is an October 2011 build as well. Mine is Boss production number 2800. What is your build sequence number? I'll have to look at my records, but pretty sure it was the 3rd week of October 2011.

Dave
2HP

Mine is #1905 and built in August IIRC...I guess I really mean our Anniversary together, and that I should know her actual 'birthday'/build date.

Installed my PSS street tires for a track day this Saturday. It looks like some rain, at least on the drive to the track, so no stickies for Saturday. :'(

302 Hi Pro said:
Kooks Gen II Boss side pipes. Kooks products have super nice welds and high quality stainless.

20141024_140513_zpsmttukgwn.jpg

2HP
I was very impressed with their products when I visited them at SEMA last year.

Maui

GOT SVT said:
played chauffeur for my son and his girlfriend for homecoming

20141025_162940_zpsbxawz439.jpg

You should have just let him drive it. It's kinda crowded back there. ;D. Haha. As a father I understand the concern...

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439

Installed the 302S ABS module and the Ford Racing/Sparco sterring wheel with quick disconnect. Oh and BTW the OK button on the radio does not clear the anoying error messages on the center screen!

808Boss said:
You should have just let him drive it. It's kinda crowded back there. ;D. Haha. As a father I understand the concern...

lol, he has not got his permit or drivers license yet, going to soon

20141025_165540_zpswhfjmjup.jpg

Got myself winter/snow setup
- Blizzak WS80 235/18-50
- AMR 18X8 wheels

Highly considering the blowfish transmission bracket as now I am DD my Boss and the shifting is not very effortless, I liked how my honda fit shifted! Butter to say the least.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast

Sean,

What happened? Is this antifreeze and oil mixture? Let us know what you find as the cause of failure.

Good luck with your repair,
Dave
2HP

302 Hi Pro said:
Sean,

What happened? Is this antifreeze and oil mixture? Let us know what you find as the cause of failure.

Good luck with your repair,
Dave
2HP

To be honest, I don't think so but it very well might be. It looks like I have silver paint mixed in with a little bit of oil haha.

Grant 302 said:
Ugh. Wiped bearings? :(

That was my initial thought. So far I haven't been able to go any further than taking the cam covers and oil pan off but just from looking at that everything seems to look ok. The only thing that I see is that crankshaft has some scoring near where the drilled it to balance the crankshaft but it doesn't look like it was caused from the crankshaft rotating. There re some metal shavings on the driverside cams which is the side where I was having the tick so it looks like I might just replace the valvetrain and whatnot if I can't find anything wrong with the bearings or the rotating assembly.

TMSBOSS said:
The good news is that I don't see any large chunks of anything. :'(

The larger chunks I took out with the initial draining of the oil as you can see :/. I'm almost hoping to find something big if that makes any sense at all.

20141020_143215_zpsd4e2b0e3.jpg

20141020_143552_zpse27f67ac.jpg.html

NFSBOSS said:
Sean, what warranty came with the MP cars?

As far as I know it comes as is. At least that is what I was told by the dealer when i went to go and pick the car up. On a side note my block doesn't have any tag or ID number on it and I didn't see one on the transmission while I was rolling around under the car.

NFSBOSS said:
It couldn't hurt to double check that if you haven't. I find it hard to believe that at the price you paid there wasn't a warranty.

I'm very conflicted on that. You see I have a very loud voice in my head shouting that I should do that because this is going to get expensive really quickly but then I wouldn't be able to do all of things I would like to. I mean this is going to be expensive to replace if I want to see how much power this car an make N/A but I could just replace everything and put it all back together for a few thousand dollars.

Re: O

WinterSucks said:
It you get it replaced under warranty then at least you have a working engine before you start to mod. And new parts sell!

The thing is I would have to tke it all apart again if I decided to do that since I would like to go through the entire engine.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast

Sean:

Well that is a shame. With the amount of metal your indicating, you'll have to pull the engine and completely disassemble for Inspection and cleaning. Everything in the oil supply/lubrication system will have to be inspected, cleaned and/or replaced, e.g. oil coolers, cam actuators, etc.

From the sounds of it, you may have wiped a cam? Hopefully, you'll know the full story once you have it apart. Then you can do some cost analysis to determine your best repair method.

Good luck with your repair.

Dave
2HP

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel