The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What did you do to your Boss 302 or S197 today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Re: What did you do to your boss today?

TMSBOSS said:
Finished the RST clutch install with the relearn.

Clutch is amazing. I am amazed at how light the clutch pedal effort is.

Splitter is next, then VIR.

It really is. I assume you removed the assist spring as well.

askjeffro said:
After 3 years, I finally had the track key installed.
Just in time for the FR warranty to expire. ;)

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN

Washed the 21 using the Chemical Brothers foam cannon and Honeydew Foam. Works very well although you still need to use the microfiber wash mitt to get the brake dust and rubber streaks off. Followed it up with Mothers spray detailer.

Changed rear brake pads to XP20. Last set was used up in one day, 185 miles at Watkins Glen, they were XP 12s, I also have a set of RO2 to try, that is Carbotechs "endurance compound". Did a full flush of brake and clutch fluids and a good bleed.
Ready for my Memorial week sweep of Watkins Glen, VIR and Mid Ohio.
Steve

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Waco, TX

Installed the Jlt brake cooling kit. Also thinking of switching to different tune instead of the trackcal.

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan

Prepped the car for Watkins Glen next Monday/Tuesday: Re torqued the Header to Off Road H-pipe bolts (loose after 1 track day), changed the Diff Fluid, Engine Oil and Rear brake pads and re-set the Toe to 1/16 out. Plan to take all the wheel weights off as the tires have slipped a lot on the rims....

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic

Put in PFC 08 pads up front
Put 1/2" discs in the side pipes for 90dB restriction at MRLS

UPS showed up while I was doing the work and dropped off the prototype Aggressor splitter and a halon extinguisher. :D

Mocked up the splitter, and pretty sure I need to unhook the bumper to get the outside two holes to line up.

NFSBOSS said:
Dropped mine off at the dealer. Looks like I'm in for the dreaded replace alternator out of warranty bill. :(

Boo. Not looking forward to regular maintenance items. :(

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois

further said:
The new clutch needs no help.

Agreed.

When I first tried the clutch pedal,after install I assumed there was something wrong because the clutch pedal was so light.

Now shifts are much more solid for lack of a np better term.

1-2 shifts before the clutch upgrade felt slow. I could feel the syncros working to align the rings. Now, no drag or resistance to gear changes regardless of RPM at shift.

Wish I had made the upgrade a while ago.

steveespo said:
Rick
you have to try and do stuff like that yourself. $250 vs $1000 for that alternator job is worth it. Only will take about 2 hours to do.
You're assuming I have two hours... I'd have no problem replacing it myself if I had the time.

Most of the transmission problems are the clutch not the trans.

Black Boss said:
Just the Red Track key. I was anticipating the need for a tune to disable the rear O2 sensors and eliminate the CEL, but it looks like I can skip that!

I got lucky with mine the first few times I had it out as well and thought that I had escaped the CEL. After a few long runs it eventually came on. It might just take longer than it's had thus far.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN

NFSBOSS said:
You're assuming I have two hours... I'd have no problem replacing it myself if I had the time.

Most of the transmission problems are the clutch not the trans.

I hear you, I dragged myself out of bed on Sunday (only day off) and did the brakes, fluid and washed the car. If you were close I would help you get it done for a couple beers.
Steve

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA

Peeled some old decals off and set up some new ones. Gonna run a new fuel vapor line tonight for the Evap system delete I did this weekend.

TMO Supporting Vendors