The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What did you do to your Boss 302 or S197 today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Re: What did you do to your boss today?

Got my Boss owners kit today wow! Very nice when I bought my Shelby I didn't get crap!

F.D. Sako said:
I found two of my McGard wheel locks cracked and barely hanging on the studs. I'm assuming they cracked due to thermal stresses and got loose. Both front wheel locks were cracked similarly, but rear wheel locks were ok. I'm just glad it didn't cause any damage or harm during my commutes.

so lessons learned, everyone go check your aftermarket lug nuts and wheel locks!

Do you have any photos of the cracked locks? I'm using a complete set of Gorilla Lock (so 5 on each wheel instead of just one) open ended lug nuts on my S197 porker. They are retaining factory '13 GT500 rubber/base wheels, ARP wheel studs, FTBR floating two piece rotors, blah, blah.

IMG_0906_zps1e4af0d8.jpg

IMG_0775_zps0804d784.jpg

I suppose my interest lies (specifically with the Gorilla) in its yield strength in comparison to factory, or at the least FRPP nuts I was using previously. Next to each other, you'll notice that the Gorilla lug actually has a higher thread count. It also has less material in some areas (and sometimes more). I just wonder if the stamped or machined external grooves could act as any sort of stress riser. Anyone?

IMG_0444_zps6e37a387.jpg

I also had gorrilla lug nuts in combination with the McGard locks. The gorilla lug nuts were of similar design to yours, but the enclosed version. I had no damage and problems with the gorilla lug nuts.

Just for a peace of mind, I may have to switch out my studs, since the cracked lug nuts were loosened and may have damaged the threads. There was no visual damage and the stock lug nuts went out without any resistance, but this may be the best reason that I could use to justify an upgrade lol.

Tod, are those ARP studs prone to rust? kind of worried if I get open ended lugs and DD the boss, I may get rust, which could become a hassle over time.

Below are some pics of the cracked McGard lug nuts.
IMAG0218640x480_zps3d96eabd.jpg

IMAG0217640x480_zps2683599b.jpg

IMAG0215640x480_zps2fb70ba4.jpg

IMAG0214640x480_zps6caec574.jpg

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN

Installed Steeda front control arms with extended ball joint and bumpsteer tie rod kit to correct roll center geometry and add stiffer control arm bushings.
SteedaControlarms003_zps2bd85e85.jpg
SteedaControlarms002_zps073c8801.jpg
SteedaControlarms001_zps54003116.jpg

Installation is a 6 out of 10 as removing the LCAs with the struts and brakes still in place is a bit tricky, a second set of hands would be helpful to hold the spindle out of the way. Getting the pivot bolt out requires turning the steering all the way in to allow the bolt to be pulled out past the tie rod shaft boot.

Took the car out to test drive and the change in feel is very noticeable, turn in is crisper and the steering feel is much sharper. Ran the car up to 110 to check for EPAS shake and did not have any, there is an increase in front tire noise but not too bad. All in all I am pretty happy and can't wait to see if track results improve. Just feels like it will be easier to point the car where I want without small corrections to line after turn in.
Will be going to get the car aligned with 7.0* caster, 2.* camber, Zero toe and adjust the the tie rod spacers to minimize or even eliminate bump steer later this week.
Steve

Very nice. Don't let Pete see that. ;D

What did you do to your boss today?

Well i took my car to the Ford dealership to swap out the Recaro seat cover with premature wear, and went to pick it up and they had the seat back out. Now I am nervous because apparently they broke one of the bolts in the floorboard and have to heat it up to work it out. Not happy!

Put the Pirelli summer tires back on, now I can wear them out on my trackday next week. I'm still split on the BFG or MT as replacements.

max5ive0 said:
Well i took my car to the Ford dealership to swap out the Recaro seat cover with premature wear, and went to pick it up and they had the seat back out. Now I am nervous because apparently they broke one of the bolts in the floorboard and have to heat it up to work it out. Not happy!

Did you get to see the damaged bolt?
Sounds like they might've used air tools and tightened the bolt instead of loosening it, but could've also been a defect. Let us know when everything gets sorted out.

What did you do to your boss today?

F.D. Sako said:
Did you get to see the damaged bolt?
Sounds like they might've used air tools and tightened the bolt instead of loosening it, but could've also been a defect. Let us know when everything gets sorted out.
I asked to see what was going on. I didnt get the cause of it but the technician was working with a drill and an easy out when I went back there. I politely asked him to not feel rushed, so it is staying the night. Made sure it would be kept inside. NERVOUS!!!

Looked at mine and cried a bit. :( Damn pollen. My black car is now green and I don't have time to wash it. Screw you trees, stop shitting on my car. Going to rain tomorrow anyway, then more green to follow.

06GT to 13LS said:
Looked at mine and cried a bit. :( Damn pollen. My black car is now green and I don't have time to wash it. Screw you trees, stop shitting on my car. Going to rain tomorrow anyway, then more green to follow.

I hate trees. They are out to kill us for sure. Oh, and they aren't sh*tting on your car, they're sperming on it. Die treeeees!!!! :mad:

drano38

Wayne

Based on the weather, I'll be doing NOTHING with the Boss any time soon. :mad:
Here's a photo out the house window. 6-8" of snow forecast. But that's on top of the 10" last week and the 3-4" a few days before that.
Hey, I thought it was Spring? ???

img20130418131532815.jpg

GA

06GT to 13LS said:
Screw you trees, stop shitting on my car.

They're not shitting on your car, they're spooging on it. :D

I have to go wash off my car. I am tired of looking at the pollen myself, plus there is an annoying bird turd hanging off my spoiler.

06GT to 13LS said:

I feel your pain, my neighbour has a rather large Dogwood tree that constantly pukes on my car. I wash, wax and shine it all up. Come out the next morning and it's covered in this nasty green barf.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel