The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Where's Wally

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black Boss said:
Daytona.

@ArizonaBOSS I'm afraid @VoodooBOSS wins: 166mph @ 8,100rpm in 5th. Pretty much Vmax I think. The Non R aparantly has a higher Vmax with the longer tires, but with power falling off and aero drag I'm not sure 8,250 rpm is attainable.....
Nailed it! While the aero is better on the S550 compared to the S197 it's still not very aero compared to other cars. Nick what was your top speed in your Boss? @Moto how fast did you go at Fontana?

VoodooBOSS said:
Nailed it! While the aero is better on the S550 compared to the S197 it's still not very aero compared to other cars. Nick what was your top speed in your Boss? @Moto how fast did you go at Fontana?
I hit 150, gps measured, going into turn 1 at Fontana. It is more a function of aero downforce though there as it depends on how much speed you feel you can carry into the high bank turn, as accel is still pretty good at the turn in.

VoodooBOSS said:
Nick what was your top speed in your Boss? @Moto how fast did you go at Fontana?

Boss top speed was 161. That was with headers and no rear wing -- the R wing must add drag, but makes up for it in grip through transitions. The R was over 2 seconds faster with just 3 sessions at Daytona, had more than 10 sessions in the Boss, and spent session 1 in the R relearning the line after a year away from Daytona....
Fun track!

Sebring tomorrow 8)

Black Boss, I have been to this event each of the last five years. I know the Audi Club guys well and work the event with them. Unfortunately my trip to Laguna Seca a few weeks ago nixed the Daytona trip for me this year. It would have been fun to get out there and run together...maybe next year? I really would have enjoyed seeing your car and scoping out your mods up close and personal. Stay safe and have fun. I'm curious what pad you are running there...I probably missed that somewhere in this thread? Please report back on the pad of choice and how it performed. I'm also curious to hear how much your braking changed into turn 1 and into the bus stop compared to the Boss. I have only run the GT500 there and am anxious to see how much deeper I can go in this car at those speeds.

CSL said:
I'm curious what pad you are running there...I probably missed that somewhere in this thread? Please report back on the pad of choice and how it performed. I'm also curious to hear how much your braking changed into turn 1 and into the bus stop compared to the Boss. I have only run the GT500 there and am anxious to see how much deeper I can go in this car at those speeds.

I'm running the GLOC pads. Speeds are higher than the Boss by about 5 mph into Bus Stop and T1 brake zones and braking is a little later -- quite a tribute to the brakes given the higher speed and heavier GT350, compared to the lightened Boss (3650 versus 3480 lbs)

@CSL Got through a set of both front and rear pads in 6.5 hours of track time at Daytona and Sebring combined. Rears had 3mm left, fronts were down to 0.5-1.0mm. Looking at wear data from the Boss last year, Sebring is tougher on brakes than Daytona.

cj350 said:
You liked the R18/R16 combo better as opposed to what you had run prior with the R18/R12 compounds?

I switched rear compound in an attempt to increase rear pad life -- don't have comparative data from the same tracks yet. To be honest there's a negligible change in feel -- my guess is there's not much rear brake bias, and the fronts dominate feel.

TMO Supporting Vendors