The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Who's Selling a Boss for an S550?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

For the GT 350 as theorized.l.maybe. For the GT, nope. Photos may not do it justice. I will have to see in person, but I'm just not wowed by it the way I was with the S197

Hmmm, so Ford said they are using what they learned from the Boss motor and putting what they learned into the regular V8. Kinda makes me think the Boss motor isn't so special now.

Brandon302 said:
Hmmm, so Ford said they are using what they learned from the Boss motor and putting what they learned into the regular V8. Kinda makes me think the Boss motor isn't so special now.

Its just the natural progression of things. When the Cobra R came out in the mid 90's and they were making 300HP, everyone thought that was the pinnacle. Now the 4 cylinder ecoboost is going to best that. You can't expect them to sit on engine tech. The Boss will always be a Boss.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
The wife really likes the new mustang. Depending on how much they are might look into trading in a dodge dart on a eco boost equipped model.

cbj5259 said:
Its just the natural progression of things. When the Cobra R came out in the mid 90's and they were making 300HP, everyone thought that was the pinnacle. Now the 4 cylinder ecoboost is going to best that. You can't expect them to sit on engine tech. The Boss will always be a Boss.

It was more a comment on how what was supposed to make the Boss special in comparison to the regular GT was the motor since the suspension wasn't a huge improvement IMO. Now the new mustang will be incorporating Boss internals and what to me sounds like Boss heads, just seems like it may be a better track car. Maybe in the coming years I will find someone who just wants "the Boss" and I can have my lowly faster GT.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Brandon302 said:

What is it with you Brandon. You seem bent of pointing out that the Boss is "not so special"

Besides, if they used technology from the Boss engine and applied it to the S550, that makes it ordinary?

I can't seem to follow your agenda.

TymeSlayer said:
What is it with you Brandon. You seem bent of pointing out that the Boss is "not so special"

Besides, if they used technology from the Boss engine and applied it to the S550, that makes it ordinary?

I can't seem to follow your agenda.

It makes it common, your right that it would be special but not in the sense that it is specific to a certain vehicle that was a special addition. For me I was disillusioned that the Boss was supposed to be a track car, and then once I started getting into it realized where it was lacking. I also don't care if they only made so many Bosses and so they are special, and I am sorry if it upsets people to say the car isn't special but that is my opinion. If a GT is faster around a track then it is a better car.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
fduboss302 said:
Not selling the Boss but I'm thinking about getting an Ecoboost for a daily at the 2nd or 3rd MY... 8)
+1 or trading in the wifes car for an eco boost. Going to probably wait till the second year run of the platform to let the bugs be found and hopefully worked out.

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84
Hi
Brandon302 said:
It makes it common, your right that it would be special but not in the sense that it is specific to a certain vehicle that was a special addition. For me I was disillusioned that the Boss was supposed to be a track car, and then once I started getting into it realized where it was lacking. I also don't care if they only made so many Bosses and so they are special, and I am sorry if it upsets people to say the car isn't special but that is my opinion. If a GT is faster around a track then it is a better car.
I'm thinking the GT Track Package or GT premium will easily be in mid $45k or better.
The new Mustang has lots of improvements, but your gonna pay for it I'm sure.
The nice think about the Boss is, I got it new for $43,500 and it can be a awesome track car and go to the local drag strip. Ive already read a article stating anyone whom drags their car are going to have to wait for a vendor to offer a solid rear axle swap.

unrealford said:
Hi I'm thinking the GT Track Package or GT premium will easily be in mid $45k or better.
The nice think about the Boss is, I got it new for $43,500 and it can be a awesome track car and go to the local drag strip. Ive already read a article stating anyone whom drags their car are going to have to wait for a vendor to offer a solid rear axle swap.

The drag thing doesn't bother me any, I don't often drag the car, however I do try to go a few times a year to HPDE's and that is where it would be interesting to see if the new cars are better. You are also right, in no way will the new GT be the same in price to what you can get them for now due to what they have done.

MGCurry

2013 Boss 302 #1548 SBY
I am more than content on the Boss, I will be sad when the coyote goes DI and picks up 20-40 horses... but the boss is special So i am on the Gran Torino list (ironically I have a 72 Gran Torino I will go to ground with,....

Love the new Mustang, but wouldnt trade my Boss for it. Will have to figure out a new source of income haha, I want one!

I will have to see it in person first and drive it! I will probably get one of course I will be in the doghouse again! I just got out of the doghouse after buying my 2013 Boss LS and not selling my 2007 Shelby oh we'll it's worth it! ;D

So now this new engine has me curious, it seems like the heads are Boss style heads with larger intake and exhuast valves. So my thoughts are get the heads from the 2015, and do a stage 2 style head job from RGR (http://www.jpcracing.com/coyotergr-jpc-cnc-stage-2-cylinder-heads/) I am thinking stage 3 might be a little bit more then i need, I know when I was doing a all out N/A build for a 3V the stage 3 heads were entirely to much for what I was going to need. Use the Cobra Jet intake manifold along with the SCJ throttle body and 5" Revolution Auto CAI tube, Custom grind cams for the setup and maybe 1 7/8ths or 2" Long tubes depending on what my needs would be. I am assuming that the 1 7/8ths setup would suffice and do the job as well as the 2" long tubes. Then grab the voodoo 5.2 block with some lightweight rods and pistons billet oil pump gears, boss timing chain tensioners, Cobra Jet trigger wheel and rev that some biznitch to 8400 RPMS and see what the heck kinda power a 5.0 can really make!!

Although, I am excited to see what kind of intake manifold the GT350 will be using and how it will compare to the Cobra Jet setup.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Sean said:
So now this new engine has me curious, it seems like the heads are Boss style heads with larger intake and exhuast valves. So my thoughts are get the heads from the 2015, and do a stage 2 style head job from RGR (http://www.jpcracing.com/coyotergr-jpc-cnc-stage-2-cylinder-heads/) I am thinking stage 3 might be a little bit more then i need, I know when I was doing a all out N/A build for a 3V the stage 3 heads were entirely to much for what I was going to need. Use the Cobra Jet intake manifold along with the SCJ throttle body and 5" Revolution Auto CAI tube, Custom grind cams for the setup and maybe 1 7/8ths or 2" Long tubes depending on what my needs would be. I am assuming that the 1 7/8ths setup would suffice and do the job as well as the 2" long tubes. Then grab the voodoo 5.2 block with some lightweight rods and pistons billet oil pump gears, boss timing chain tensioners, Cobra Jet trigger wheel and rev that some biznitch to 8400 RPMS and see what the heck kinda power a 5.0 can really make!!

Although, I am excited to see what kind of intake manifold the GT350 will be using and how it will compare to the Cobra Jet setup.

Sean

Great concept.

Would you mind calling my wife and explaining why I NEED another engine for the Boss.

She just does not understand. Strange!!!

She says I have a problem.......I just don't see it that way. ::)

Will the heads be a different casting? Direct injection will mean injection directly into the combustion chamber, after the valves. Just curious.

Nope, love the retro look of the 13 boss. One of the reasons I bought the car, plus couple that with performance for occasional autocross, track and strip and the limited availability of the boss to display at the local car show...perfect for me.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
unrealford said:
Hi I'm thinking the GT Track Package or GT premium will easily be in mid $45k or better.

The Track pack shouldn't be more than $34k on a base car and maybe $37-38k on a premium. There is no reason for anything but premium verts, glass tops, and fully loaded coupes to go over $40k MSRP. Sure, the clowns here in Cali will ask a $5-10k premium for the first ones ::) but that's standard operating procedure.

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84
Grant 302 said:
The Track pack shouldn't be more than $34k on a base car and maybe $37-38k on a premium. There is no reason for anything but premium verts, glass tops, and fully loaded coupes to go over $40k MSRP. Sure, the clowns here in Cali will ask a $5-10k premium for the first ones ::) but that's standard operating procedure.
Sry Grant, I gotta disagree, our local dealer has a GT that's not fully loaded but a premium that's $40,000
My brothers California Special was $41,000 in 2013

TMO Supporting Vendors