The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Winter Mods II

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArizonaGT said:
I'd imagine Mickey thought most of you guys looked like this behind the wheel when he heard all the shiznit you guys were breaking:

rat-fink-cartoon.jpg
I have more gray hair now.

Big Ford Racing boxes showed up today me ;D wallet :( Next week everything should be put in with the drive line. You guys screwed me on the fan and shroud, it is now back ordered. They also did not ship the bumper yet as expected.

CIMG3773_zpsb540fd66.jpg
CIMG3775_zpsc61aea50.jpg

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
AWESOME.

Be prepared for some steering shudder from the EPAS--apparently this becomes very prevalent when the FLCA rear hydra bushing is replaced with something stiffer like urethane. Only known solution for this at this time is the 302R steering rack--around another $900.

At any rate I am interested to hear about your experiences with the new arms. I'm assuming you got the 302S bushing kit as well?

ArizonaGT said:
AWESOME.

Be prepared for some steering shudder from the EPAS--apparently this becomes very prevalent when the FLCA rear hydra bushing is replaced with something stiffer like urethane. Only known solution for this at this time is the 302R steering rack--around another $900.

At any rate I am interested to hear about your experiences with the new arms. I'm assuming you got the 302S bushing kit as well?

Another thing I did not know about, hope the steering is not too bad? Think it will do this on track?

I did get the S bushing kit, almost as much as the control arms :eek:

It will be a new car next time out. Too bad I am doing all this at one time, I would like to see what difference the motor mounts made to the MT82. Also wanted to know the difference putting some 285's out back, inch and a 1/8 wider contact patch then the 275's which I will run up front. I think the trans will make the biggest difference in time but all the other things will help out.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I don't have personal experience with the shudder as I'm still stock up there, but Terry Fair at Vorshlag noticed a lot of this when they went to urethane in the rear of the FLCA and it's pretty well documented. It's in their writeups on Corner-Carvers and S197Forum.

Dig-It

Kevin
VA
I installed the Kenny Brown FLCAs and haven't ecountered this issue - yet (knocks on wood).

The thread on Corner-Carvers in the S197Forum mentions the shudder with Mustang GTs, not the BOSS. I'm curious if it is, or will be, an issue with our cars since in the Boss "the speed-sensitive electronic steering system has been retuned to maximize feedback and road feel to the driver" (Ford Media).

Has anyone else changed the rear FLCA bushings and felt the shudder in a Boss yet?

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
You're correct--that is on a GT. I don't think anyone knows how much steering recalibration was done on the BOSS; however if the track feedback is positive from Mr. 2012YellowBoss, then I may order these parts up!

Dig-It, have you tracked your car on race rubber w/ the new bushings etc yet?

SO LET US KNOW WHAT YOU EXPERIENCE :)

Dig-It

Kevin
VA
I haven't tracked it yet - just put them in a week ago. But I've had a chance to drive the piss out of it on the home test track/back country roads without issue.

I should be finished with the latest round of rear suspension mods this weekend (KB RC relocation kit and rear UCA). I'll let you know if anything comes up.

Dig-It said:
Has anyone else changed the rear FLCA bushings and felt the shudder in a Boss yet?

After Drew ruined my day with that post I read everything I could find about the issue. I did not see anyone with a Boss that has the problem, only GT's and Shelbys. It also seems that only a select few changed out the EPAS, those that did all said the problem was gone. I am very concerned about this.

ArizonaGT said:
You're correct--that is on a GT. I don't think anyone knows how much steering recalibration was done on the BOSS; however if the track feedback is positive from Mr. 2012YellowBoss, then I may order these parts up!

I am checking into this with the helpful people from Ford racing. If this may be a problem I will wait on the install since my first outing is a 2 day event. I don't want the wheel shaking out of my hands with no way to change the parts at the track.

TMO Supporting Vendors