The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2012 Boss 302 Grille Options

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I've been meaning to put on a LS emblem myself. I couldn't figure out how to remove the stock one without damaging the blackout vinyl. Not to be fake, but it's one of my home tracks and my favorite. I have the brake duct kit and the transmission cooler scoop also.

Back on topic. I received my CJ grille last week but haven't installed it yet. I need to drop it off to have a clear bra applied. I was going to do this last week but I was disappointed on how sloppy the modifications to the grille are. I contacted FR and sent them the following photos to determine if this is acceptable workmanship. I was told an outside vendor does the work and that I shouldn't expect a replacement grille to be any better. Oh well after I get my grille back I'll break out my Dremel and clean it up. I should have it installed before my first track day of the year on 3/18.

P1030018.jpg
P1030019.jpg
P1030017.jpg
P1030016.jpg

5 DOT 0 said:
Back on topic. I received my CJ grille last week but haven't installed it yet. I need to drop it off to have a clear bra applied. I was going to do this last week but I was disappointed on how sloppy the modifications to the grille are. I contacted FR and sent them the following photos to determine if this is acceptable workmanship. I was told an outside vendor does the work and that I shouldn't expect a replacement grille to be any better. Oh well after I get my grille back I'll break out my Dremel and clean it up. I should have it installed before my first track day of the year on 3/18.

Have you applied the clear bra to any other part of your car? (bumper,hood)

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
That's a joke. Not sure how they can sell it like that with a straight face. Good think you can clean it up pretty easily and it will look great when your done.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
5 DOT 0 said:
While I'm disappointed with the workmanship it's not that big of a deal. To keep this in context it's a low volume hand modified item and I'd be surprised if they sell 100/year.

True, but the 302S grille was also. In any event with a little elbow grease you'll have it the way they should have done it.

For the price, that is unacceptable imo. I could have done it myself better, with a little patience. The guy who assembled our trannies could do a better job :p

302S grill is better? Ordered one and I am going to be pretty pissed if it looks like that.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
The 302S grille looks perfect from the front. The radiator side view shows the hand made cuts but they aren't bad and obviously non consequential to the look.

As long as it looks decent from outside, I will be happy with the 302S grill. I'm keeping the OEM one, gonna mount it on the wall in the garage with all the other take offs like trophy heads.

5 DOT 0 said:
While I'm disappointed with the workmanship it's not that big of a deal. To keep this in context it's a low volume hand modified item and I'd be surprised if they sell 100/year.

That would actually make me more disappointed. Someone did that by hand, looked at it, and said **** it, that is good enough.

Should be a pretty easy fix with a dremel. Only issue looks to be the bottom tab, it is only supported from the one side and the plastic looks like it is already thin there. I'd probably just cut that whole piece off and be minus one tab, looks like the black part has a tab there so should still be fairly tight.

Grill showed up, it is great. Plastic is nice enough that I am not going to paint it. No issues like with the Mach 1 cut outs, it is ready to install.

FYI the mesh in the cut outs is safety wired in. It either is racecar or ghetto depending on your perspective. I expected it to be bonded with insta weld or something similar, but I am in the because racecar camp so it is ok ;D My other car certainly has its fair share of wire.

I've finished cleaning up the grille and I'm very happy with how it turned out and looks. With that said I have a hard time recommending this grille. I still think it might flow better than the 302S grille but we'll never know for sure. If you're looking for something different you might try the Cobra Jet grille otherwise stick with the 302S grille.

I got it cleaned up pretty well but didn't take it apart like I wanted to. This grille is in three pieces, the white surround, the black bars, and the black inner grille. It's held together with small washer nuts that attach to small pegs and that holds it together (you can see them in the photos). I tried taking the washer nuts off but it looked like I was going to break off the pegs so I backed out of that idea. If I was able to get the grille apart I would have opened it up even more. You can see I removed a fair amount of plastic and then I painted some of it black that was still visible from a side angle. It looks very clean on the car and you'd have to look very close to see anything out of place. The last photo is for Gary, I weighed the plastic and I removed almost two ounces from the grille. ;)

P1030018.jpg
P1030028.jpg
P1030019.jpg
P1030027.jpg
P1030017.jpg
P1030032.jpg
P1030016.jpg
P1030031.jpg
P1030026.jpg
P1030042.jpg
P1030036.jpg
P1030038.jpg

GA
The grille looks great, Rick. I will be interested to hear if anyone experiences hood pop at high speed with a more open grille. I think that was the source of the earlier S197 hood pop - too much air in and not enough out.

Dig-It

Kevin
VA
That grill does look great Rick.

PJWANNABE said:
The grille looks great, Rick. I will be interested to hear if anyone experiences hood pop at high speed with a more open grille. I think that was the source of the earlier S197 hood pop - too much air in and not enough out.
I'd be interested to hear as well. However, nothing was posted about hoods popping open when guys were running without any grill at all.

Ford said to remove the grill, so it should be fine especially if you pull out the rear liner. Though on 5th Gear, or whatever that British show is with the woman host, she complained a couple times that the hood was fluttering.

Good excuse for a Tiger hood and hood pins.

TMO Supporting Vendors