The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2012 Boss 302 Grille Options

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GA
CaliMR said:
Ford said to remove the grill, so it should be fine especially if you pull out the rear liner. Though on 5th Gear, or whatever that British show is with the woman host, she complained a couple times that the hood was fluttering.

Good excuse for a Tiger hood and hood pins.

The Steeda Q-series hood would be nice also in conjunction with a 302S grille.

Dig-It said:
That grill does look great Rick.

PJWANNABE said:
The grille looks great, Rick. I will be interested to hear if anyone experiences hood pop at high speed with a more open grille. I think that was the source of the earlier S197 hood pop - too much air in and not enough out.
I'd be interested to hear as well. However, nothing was posted about hoods popping open when guys were running without any grill at all.
It was suggested to me that the hood pins are a must on the Tiger hood.

Does anyone know what purpose the foam in the OEM grill serves? I noticed it when I got it off, but didn't really try to figure it out as I had my little nephew jumping up and down he was so excited about helping out. The 302S one didn't have it.

I wouldn't put holes in the stock hood, but if I ever get an aftermarket one I probably will. Anyone seen one like the Porsche ones with the panel under to route the air up?

GA
cloud9 said:
Dig-It said:
That grill does look great Rick.

PJWANNABE said:
The grille looks great, Rick. I will be interested to hear if anyone experiences hood pop at high speed with a more open grille. I think that was the source of the earlier S197 hood pop - too much air in and not enough out.
I'd be interested to hear as well. However, nothing was posted about hoods popping open when guys were running without any grill at all.
It was suggested to me that the hood pins are a must on the Tiger hood.

Hood pins are recommended for just about every aftermarket fiberglass hood I have seen, so I am not surprised.

Thanks guys. Here's another photo of the whole car.

IMG_0449.jpg

GA
5 DOT 0 said:
PJWANNABE said:
Rick, here is a crazy idea - what about painting the splitter white (just the bottom piece, not the valence)?
I don't think that's a crazy idea and Steve suggested it as well. I'm done with the white accents though and the only other change I'm contemplating is the 302S hood.

It is probably best to keep it black anyway. With that underbite if you scratched up a white splitter it would stick out like a sore thumb.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Maybe the bond between the hood latch and the fiberglass/CF isn't as strong as the weld on stock hoods ?

I have an email from Paul Brown where he states hood pins are recommended but not required. Regardless I'm adding two if I buy the 302S hood. I think it's always a good idea to use hood pins on non factory hoods that haven't been tested to meet OEM standards. Not saying this one doesn't meet that standard but I haven't seen anything that would lead me to believe it has been tested.

PJWANNABE said:

Interesting. I have the 302 s Grille and my hood is moving all over the place at 140....... I hate to drill holes in the boss hood.....

boss1 said:
PJWANNABE said:

Interesting. I have the 302 s Grille and my hood is moving all over the place at 140....... I hate to drill holes in the boss hood.....
My GT500 hood fluttered like that too, but never came up even at 165mph repeatedly in the straights. That said, I eventually did punch two hood pins into it just to be safe. I have to assume the Boss factory hood is fine up to the 155 mph maximum factory speed.

GA
cloud9 said:
boss1 said:
PJWANNABE said:

My GT500 hood fluttered like that too, but never came up even at 165mph repeatedly in the straights. That said, I eventually did punch two hood pins into it just to be safe. I have to assume the Boss factory hood is fine up to the 155 mph maximum factory speed.

My Bullitt's hood never came up either, but the fluttering made me nervous over 110. I pulled up on the bump stops a little and got it to stop flutter at highway speed. The new GT looks fine so far.

GA
boss1 said:
PJWANNABE said:

Check out the Steeda Q-series hood
http://www.steeda.com/store/steeda-q-series-hood.html

They have a vented cowl hood too if you don't like the big screen vent, but I am not big on cowls.
http://www.steeda.com/store/steeda-mustang-vented-cowl-hood.html

Don't like either personally, I would rather have one like my old Evo if it is a flat vent and they could work it into the power bulge so it looked oem. The cowl one I don't like how it is double bubble, if the whole power bulge were just higher then it would look better. (the factory double bubble is pretty much the only thing I don't like about the looks) Both look like they are aftermarket pieces just glued on the top, I like things to look more integrated like it is oem.

Of course that is only my opinion. I'm sure people will disagree.

cloud9 said:
boss1 said:
PJWANNABE said:

I dont think Im going to push it. Too much movement. Time for hood pins, or better yet Tiger Racing Hood with pins.....

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel