The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 @4o6racing Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Here’s a lap from the first session with the snowflakes coming down.

Fast sweepers...now that's what racings is all about.
I have no use for those tight azz miniature golf sized stop and go corners that just eat up tires and brakes for no good reason.
I will make it to this track in 2023. Can't wait.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Fast sweepers...now that's what racings is all about...I have no use for those tight azz miniature golf sized stop and go corners that just eat up tires and brakes for no reason. I will make it to this track in 2023. Can't wait.
Can’t wait, let me know when!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Last edited:
CA
Fast sweepers...now that's what racings is all about.
I have no use for those tight azz miniature golf sized stop and go corners that just eat up tires and brakes for no good reason.
I will make it to this track in 2023. Can't wait.
Having done both, if all you are looking for is adrenaline.... you've got the best track in California: Sonoma. Big willow is a nap compared to Sonoma

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Having done both, if all you are looking for is adrenaline.... you've got the best track in California: Sonoma. Big willow is a nap compared to Sonoma
Sonoma is my least favorite. I much prefer Laguna Seca or Thunderhill.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
629B290A-BF48-40E1-B817-643454ED3B28.jpeg
5CD54424-20D0-4583-A158-CBECA3D8BB17.jpeg

Celebrating National Mustang Day with a pair of P1 finishes in NASA SoCal TT3 over the weekend. Love it or hate it, 13CW is the most popular configuration of Buttonwillow Raceway. Despite the popularity, it’s been several years since NASA has used this for a race weekend. I was thrilled with their choice because it’s the only configuration I’ve driven there, providing an opportunity to go for a PB. Barely pulled off a new PB on Sunday by only 0.1 secs - winning lap of 1:55.5.

On another positive note, Buttonwillow Raceway Park is set to begin paving their new track that sits adjacent to the legacy track. All too often it’s news of tracks closing, so it’s exciting to share news of a new one coming online! 2.5 mile layout, built around the preserved habitat of a kangaroo rat (ya can’t make this stuff up!)

39A7CA46-DCF5-4B3A-8321-D16A6E6771E5.jpeg

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
Great work on the PB, and even harder, doing so in a packed field.

Off the record, it does say deceased male kangaroo rat, and an official under conditions of anonymity said they found him dead last January with a suspiciously warm 315/30/18 Yokohama A052 found nearby. They're still looking for the culprit.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
View attachment 85662
View attachment 85663

Celebrating National Mustang Day with a pair of P1 finishes in NASA SoCal TT3 over the weekend. Love it or hate it, 13CW is the most popular configuration of Buttonwillow Raceway. Despite the popularity, it’s been several years since NASA has used this for a race weekend. I was thrilled with their choice because it’s the only configuration I’ve driven there, providing an opportunity to go for a PB. Barely pulled off a new PB on Sunday by only 0.1 secs - winning lap of 1:55.5.

On another positive note, Buttonwillow Raceway Park is set to begin paving their new track that sits adjacent to the legacy track. All too often it’s news of tracks closing, so it’s exciting to share news of a new one coming online! 2.5 mile layout, built around the preserved habitat of a kangaroo rat (ya can’t make this stuff up!)

View attachment 85664
Is this a clockwise track or anti clockwise?

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Well, if you’re gonna be hard on parts, it’s nice to live close to a Summit Racing D.C. Ordered a new block on Thursday morning - 24 hrs later it was sitting at the freight terminal 10 mins from my office. Unfortunately the replacement ring set and engine bearings won’t be here until next week. Windage tray/crank scraper from Shaun @ AED arrived this week and picked the spare heads up from the machine shop. Still hopeful to have this back together in time for NASA on the 20th.

IMG_8128.jpeg
IMG_8129.jpeg

If you missed the backstory of how we ended up here, click here;

Thread 'Oil in coolant expansion tank'
https://trackmustangsonline.com/threads/oil-in-coolant-expansion-tank.19621/

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Quick update on what’s turning out to be a major project. Tear down of the short block revealed 7 out of 8 rod bearings are hammered on the rod side. Still not clear on what caused it. Inspection and tolerance check of the oil pump are all good. GT500 pan, pump and Setrab 948 cooler I wouldn’t expect oiling issues. Main bearings looked like new. Maybe aerated oil caused the rod bearing damage? AED windage tray/crank scraper going in this time for insurance

IMG_8134.jpeg

IMG_8133.jpeg

Amazingly the crank journals were unharmed and were mirror smooth with some minor polishing. Finished file-fitting the new rings and reassembled the short block with all new Clevite bearings. Moved on to final fitment of the windage tray/crank scraper and reinstalled the oil pan after a full tear down and deep clean of the baffles.

It looked as if I would have the engine completely buttoned up today and possibly set back in the car, but progress was halted with a close inspection of the cams. Heavy scoring on several of the journals, especially towards the rear. Kicking myself for not inspecting them at tear down, but in the haste of finding where the coolant contamination was coming from, I didn’t bother to look. Won’t know for sure until tomorrow but concerned about availability of the OE cams. That and the price has skyrocketed. L&M’s are tempting, but would require another trip to Sacramento for tuning (no time for that) and would cause some adjustments for NASA classing. Anyone have a Gen 1 OE set of cams sitting on the shelf that you’d like to sell??

Trying to stay positive here, but the setbacks are getting old real quick.

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors