The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Accufab 84.5mm TB dyno tested on my 13' Boss

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gremlinsteve said:
from looking at the graph it looks close the 450 to 455 rwhp and around 410 to 420 torque…
just a guess.

steve
I dunno Steve that sounds... like dreamy high... even if, 25HP for both parts thats 470 crank, 400 wheels. not no 455 wheels, that would be way over the 500 mark and no... not from no, no tune Throttle Body and No tune CAI.

I have to say not gonna happen.
I guess this one line of infromation was missed for performance for everyone installing the TB
http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=13522
It is in the tech notes
4" air inlet tube is recommended for maximum horsepower
The Boss and GT MAF is 85mm, 85 millimeters = 3.34645669 inches

JohnRichard

If you look at the photos of the installations that other members have done, everyone member but one that is running the JLT CAI have used the 4" to 4"adapter, one member who is still using the stock CAI used his stock adapter. So I do not see that as being the issue with the different results that members are experiencing. Of course that is only my opinion...

BadPony said:
JohnRichard

If you look at the photos of the installations that other members have done, everyone member but one that is running the JLT CAI have used the 4" to 4"adapter, one member who is still using the stock CAI used his stock adapter. So I do not see that as being the issue with the different results that members are experiencing. Of course that is only my opinion...

I don't think you understood what I was trying to say and I so poorly wrote.
Ford Racing is saying the inlet tube "CAI" needs to be 4'' in diameter to get best results... you cannot run a 4'' MAF tube on a stock tune. Your engine will run extremely lean and you will melt pistons if you run it for very long... The stock adaptor, I am guessing is an insert into the CAI to make it once again the same size as stock, 85mm? and you are no longer a 4'' "CAI", 102mm, tube you are now at the MAF a 3.34'', 85mm, tube.

No Airaid did not work some secret magic to make no tune changes needed when running larger than 85mm MAF.
The PJ CAI if it does not require a tune it has a 85mm MAF and all it is, just expensive bling… you would be better off performance wise if you took that money and spent it on diamonds or bling for your girlfriend/wife whatever then to buy that for your car.

High RPM benefits can be seen by a larger throttle body then stock of 80mm.
http://www.hipermath.com/math_center/racing_calculations

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
You can take out the maf adaptor tube and get a tune then it isn't just bling.

Also it does improve throttle response

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Justin said:
You can take out the maf adaptor tube and get a tune then it isn't just bling.

Also it does improve throttle response

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's part of my plan, I just want to see what these parts plus longtube's and midpipe get me with out a tune. I hoping after the tune I will have ~450rwhp, maybe ~420 with out a tune. I fing out next week, that was the soonest they could get me in with dyno time.

racered302 said:
That's part of my plan, I just want to see what these parts plus longtube's and midpipe get me with out a tune. I hoping after the tune I will have ~450rwhp, maybe ~420 with out a tune. I fing out next week, that was the soonest they could get me in with dyno time.

I believe you will see 420 easily. And 450 with a tune.

racered302 said:
I'm at 437 rwhp with long tubes and a O/R mid-pipe without a performance tune. Those are typical numbers for LTs running silver or red key. Search on posts from Cooltech with Kooks LTs to see they had similar results just bolting on the headers and mid-pipe. If you bolt on the CAI and TB at the same time as the LTs and mid-pipe you wouldn't be able to tell if any of the gain is coming from the TB.

cloud9 said:
I'm at 437 rwhp with long tubes and a O/R mid-pipe without a performance tune. Those are typical numbers for LTs running silver or red key. Search on posts from Cooltech with Kooks LTs to see they had similar results just bolting on the headers and mid-pipe. If you bolt on the CAI and TB at the same time as the LTs and mid-pipe you wouldn't be able to tell if any of the gain is coming from the TB.

Gary... this might have been addressed sometime before in a post, but to your knowledge do the wide band sensors and stock PCM cals (both regular and Trackey) handle the additional flow demands of the the CAI, TB, LT and mid pipe sufficiently to avoid A/F ratio issues?

dabossinne said:
Gary... this might have been addressed sometime before in a post, but to your knowledge do the wide band sensors and stock PCM cals (both regular and Trackey) handle the additional flow demands of the the CAI, TB, LT and mid pipe sufficiently to avoid A/F ratio issues?
The answer is "yes" for the LTs and mid pipe, but I have no idea on the TB or CAI. If you increase the flow from the CAI (e.g. Airaid without MVT) I'm sure you would need a tune or you'd run lean. The only issue with running LTs and O/R mid pipe with the stock tune is you will get a CEL for cat efficiency. I have a basic tune from VMP that "shuts off the rear O2s" but I told him not to advance timing, raise the rev limiter or adjust a/f to gain power since I'm still running the stock CAI and TB. I don't want to push the engine just to eke out a few more hp. Simply opening up the exhaust will yield 35 to 40 rwhp and roughly 25 rwtq without additional tuning.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=2452.0;topicseen

With the prices the way they are now, it seem like Kooks LT headers are still the better bang for your buck if you are looking for hp gains, except the install is much more difficult. Looks like unless you get lucky to find a TB for cheap and then add the CAI you will end up around the same price as the LTs.

cloud9 said:

I understand that but it hard to get time at this shops dyno, it the only one for 50miles. I never realized how busy they were so I decided not to pay $160 for 3 run then another $80 to have them install the TB & CIA when I could do that myself. I would have like to have gotten a baseline but I think that money could be better spent on something else. That's why I changed my plans. We know base line for these car's on a dynometer is about 370-380rwhp, some have gotten more or less but it seems to be the average #. I'll see what the hp is before and after the header/ mid install and that will give me a ballpark in the end. Realistically the TB and CIA won't wake up with ou a tune and if I am getting any extra with that alone it not that noticable, maybe alittle but not enough to make me want pay couple of hundred extra to measure it. If I would have had an oh s**t moment anfter I installed it that would be a different story.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
RRBoss302:

Can you clarify your description of the TB spacer you pictured in your original post. I know two 2013 Boss owners who replaced their TB with the same unit or the FRPP unit and they report no "stock spacer" as you have described and pictured. (See below) Is the TB spacer an aftermarket or OEM part?

Thanks in advance for clearing this up,
Regards,
302 Hi Pro

Stock TB and stock spacer. You will not need a spacer with the Accufab TB.
image_zps774d44d6.jpg

I did not add the spacer, it appears it is a factory piece. There is a pic in post #70 of a 2012 without a spacer. Maybe it's a 2013 only part. However, I bought my car from the first owner who may have installed it as an aftermarket part. He told me he hadn't done any engine mods so I'd be surprised if that was the case. But it's a possibility.

EDIT: I just Googled a ton of Boss 302 engine pics. Can't find any with a spacer. So maybe it is aftermarket. I tried finding a matching aftermarket spacer online but found none. Strange....

My Boss is 13' #609. Maybe someone with a newer sequential number can verify whether or not the spacer is present in their car. Wondering if it was a mid-run change.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
RRBoss302 said:
I did not add the spacer, it appears it is a factory piece. There is a pic in post #70 of a 2012 without a spacer. Maybe it's a 2013 only part. However, I bought my car from the first owner who may have installed it as an aftermarket part. He told me he hadn't done any engine mods so I'd be surprised if that was the case. But it's a possibility.

EDIT: I just Googled a ton of Boss 302 engine pics. Can't find any with a spacer. So maybe it is aftermarket. I tried finding a matching aftermarket spacer online but found none. Strange....

My Boss is 13' #609. Maybe someone with a newer sequential number can verify whether or not the spacer is present in their car. Wondering if it was a mid-run change.

Very interesting, and I will say this, It sure looks factory! Maybe others will let us know it they have a TB spacer on their 2013 MY Boss 302's. Good to know your build number. If anyone has a spacer, please post about it.
Thank you in advance,
302 Hi Pro

TMO Supporting Vendors