The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss 302S Hood

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Re: Boss 302S Hood Availability

Vito see the first sentence for your answer. ::)

908ssp said:
I put my new 302S hood on so I could drive my car home from getting tuned today and it rained cats and dogs. And the car ran fine not a hiccup due to the water. I have to add a bit of plastic to close off a corner of the cold airbox which is open on top to the front most slot but that's mostly to keep the cold air from the front grill duct around the air cleaner. It was open to the rain today and didn't make any difference. The hood fit pretty good a bit of a gap right in front center which probably would not be there if I was using the stock hood latch. It is almost like the hood has a bit of preload built in for the bumpers on the outside and the latch in the middle. Since I am using four flush mount pins there is nothing directly in the center pulling the hood down. I might have to add a 5th pin.

::)
BossJockey said:
Vito see the first sentence for your answer. ::)

908ssp said:
I put my new 302S hood on so I could drive my car home from getting tuned today and it rained cats and dogs. And the car ran fine not a hiccup due to the water. I have to add a bit of plastic to close off a corner of the cold airbox which is open on top to the front most slot but that's mostly to keep the cold air from the front grill duct around the air cleaner. It was open to the rain today and didn't make any difference. The hood fit pretty good a bit of a gap right in front center which probably would not be there if I was using the stock hood latch. It is almost like the hood has a bit of preload built in for the bumpers on the outside and the latch in the middle. Since I am using four flush mount pins there is nothing directly in the center pulling the hood down. I might have to add a 5th pin.

Nice Job! I'm following your lead and paid Paul at Tiger Racer for a hood yesterday. I went with a fiberglass one and I'm looking forward to the finish quality.

As far as rain or water in the engine, I say it will not hurt anything. Both my old Porsches have open backs and water pours on their motors. Every once in a while, after a good cleaning, the 911 is slightly slower to start.

I'm bumping this thread to get more input from 302S hood owners on install and maintenance. Someone asked earlier today about removing the hinges and using six hood pins. Here's the photo I have.

rehagannasaboss.jpg

Here's an update from Cloud9 that he posted in another thread.

Actually I found my email from Paul. He lists all the info including weights. However, they keep bringing the weight of the fiberglass down by reducing the amount of resin needed as they refine the process. When I finally placed my order they were down to 22 lbs. and when mine arrived it was stamped 20lbs:

"Gary,

The hoods come finished in a white gel coat for fiberglass and gray epoxy primer on the carbon, both with the louvers rough trimmed open. Attached are pictures of a fiberglass hood as shipped. Fiberglass hoods run $749, carbon is $1295, a $60 box fee is applied to either and freight is $181.44 if shipped next week to a commercial address, residential usually adds about $50. Freight prices change almost daily and this quote is good for the week.

Carbon hoods are non-cosmetic and are primarily for weight reduction, not show. Due to the nature of "real" carbon, imprinting of the top surface is normal and will take extra work to be finished if that is not acceptable. Fiberglass is recommended for street or show cars.

The carbon race hood is 14lbs, but no latch for the street, carbon street is 16lbs. and fiberglass is averaging about 25lbs now. Stock aluminum hood is 30lbs.

Current lead time about a week, we accept PayPal or checks/money orders for payment. Feel free to contact me with any questions or to place an order

Thanks

Paul Brown
General Manager
Tiger Racing
626-967-6796
www.tiger-racing.com"

I heard the hood is good for 4 seconds. That is why Ford Racing went with it. They could have developed their own....

adam81 said:
I heard the hood is good for 4 seconds. That is why Ford Racing went with it. They could have developed their own....
I read that too, but have a hard time believing it. If it's true, I'd bury the Z06s but again hard to imagine given the weight and hp advantage they have over the Boss. I'm only about 2 seconds off the fastest ones right now.

cloud9 said:
You guys are starting to get to me :mad:

Im about to pull the trigger and get this hood. Can anyone tell me where to get these exact hood pins? and is there anything special required to install the pins onto the tiger hood?

Thanks!!

reakhavok said:
cloud9 said:
You guys are starting to get to me :mad:

Im about to pull the trigger and get this hood. Can anyone tell me where to get these exact hood pins? and is there anything special required to install the pins onto the tiger hood?

Thanks!!
I got mine from Paul along with the hood.......nothing special, just have to drill the hood for the posts and there are three small screws with each scuff plate to attach them to the top of the hood.

ArizonaGT said:
Pretty sure those are Sparco pins, if you can't get em w/ the hood.
Yep and you can get them at Steeda too. Paul said these are a different brand (don't remember which one) but they are identical to the Sparcos. Saved me from placing a second order and were actually a couple bucks cheaper.

TMO Supporting Vendors