The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss 302S Hood

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Re: Boss 302S Hood Availability

cloud9 said:
5 DOT 0 said:
I would paint it like the original photos where the center is black (white on your Boss) and the surrounding is the color of your car.
I would agree, but I wonder why Ford ended up painting the 302S all black? Is it tough to find the right cutoff at the front of the vents? If I do the hood I'm planning on painting it CO with a gloss black center to match the roof.
They did it on the original ones so it can be done. Unless the hood is different....

cloud9 said:
5 DOT 0 said:
I would paint it like the original photos where the center is black (white on your Boss) and the surrounding is the color of your car.
I would agree, but I wonder why Ford ended up painting the 302S all black? Is it tough to find the right cutoff at the front of the vents? If I do the hood I'm planning on painting it CO with a gloss black center to match the roof.

Cost would be my guess. I also would paint it like the original.

mustang-boss-302s-01.jpg

This image was my desktop for months. ;D

My 302s hood is in. I didn't hear about it till 6:00pm so I haven't seen it hopefully I can pick it up tomorrow morning and mount it up right away. I'll have to do temporary hood pins because the Aero latches take some extra time to install. I won't be able to get it painted till next week at the earliest.

Picked it up a couple hours ago. The primered side needs some filler blocking and primer to get some of the wrinkles out. The bracing on the back side pulls on the top leaving some bumps. I suppose that is one reason Ford decided to go all flat black. Rehagen has a spare fiber glass one they are willing to sell. Makes sense if you're in the SE Michigan area.

IMG_1814.png

IMG_1812.png

IMG_1810.png

I put my new 302S hood on so I could drive my car home from getting tuned today and it rained cats and dogs. And the car ran fine not a hiccup due to the water. I have to add a bit of plastic to close off a corner of the cold airbox which is open on top to the front most slot but that's mostly to keep the cold air from the front grill duct around the air cleaner. It was open to the rain today and didn't make any difference. The hood fit pretty good a bit of a gap right in front center which probably would not be there if I was using the stock hood latch. It is almost like the hood has a bit of preload built in for the bumpers on the outside and the latch in the middle. Since I am using four flush mount pins there is nothing directly in the center pulling the hood down. I might have to add a 5th pin.

Sorry not tonight. I have to install the flush hood pin thingys first then I'll post one. I hope to get it painted soon. Doesn't look horrible in gray shiny primer it will look so much better black.

Right and they are a real drag to install. If you are not just set on them use the stock latch the hood is made for it.

IMG_1817.png

Normal hood pins would be much easier to install but I think you can do without them and just use the stock latch mechanism. The hood is well made it has a light weight core with a thin layer of carbon on both side so it is thicker than you would think without adding weight. If you want a shiny smooth surface it is going take some plain hard elbow work with filler and sanding.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA

908ssp said:
Normal hood pins would be much easier to install but I think you can do without them and just use the stock latch mechanism. The hood is well made it has a light weight core with a thin layer of carbon on both side so it is thicker than you would think without adding weight. If you want a shiny smooth surface it is going take some plain hard elbow work with filler and sanding.

Looks great, man. I'd have just gone with some of the sparco-style pins and the stock latch, but the aerocatches look good. Will look a lot better once the hood gets sprayed.

What's difficult to install w/ those? Never done those, only Sparco and Scott Drake pins.

The hood fit wasn't horrible. I had to loosen the three top fender bolts and move the fenders a little to get the line even all the way down. That is easy to do and there is more than enough slop in the fender holes for it.

The template they give you for the Aerocatch doesn't compensate for the depth of the Aerocatch body and the fact that the front of the mustang hood is on a slant. So if you line up the template with the pin you end up about and 1/8 of an inch too far back. I know better now can could do a better job the next time but it still a pain. You have to cut a fair chunk of hood bracing away for the outside clasps. In the picture below the horizontal line is where the pin comes through so I lined the template up with it but that's wrong the template should be about an 1/8 lower than the actual place the pin come through. Plus you have to have somewhere to mount the pin I made aluminum thread in bushings something most people cant do.

IMG_1816.png
_1012296.png

5 DOT 0 said:
I wonder if the fiberglass hood will have a smoother finish to it. Does the 302S use the CF or fiberglass hood?

The FG hoods have a nicer show finish, weight 28 pounds.
Ford went with the CF all black!

TMO Supporting Vendors