The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Dead Battery FYI

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black Boss said:
My Bad -- Only looked at the last 6 digits of the Motorcraft part numbers on my batteries :(

Boss is: YD BXT 96R
Standard is: AZ BXT 96R

30.5lb for the Boss 32lb for standard.

Wow, 1.5 lbs savings and they call it light weight! Well it is lighter...

Senderofan

Having more fun than should be allowed..in my Boss
My concern is......where did they cut the weight? Less lead??? Maybe some other internals that might.....might.....make our batteries a little less robust?

Senderofan

Well...after storing my battery in my basement and charging it intermittently over the winter....it has given up the ghost. Looks like I'll try and see if I can get a replacement under warranty...since I've owned the car for @ 20 months.

Hope Y'all have better luck...but now my 2 1/2 year old batteries in my F 350 look like they are starting to leak. Looks like Odyssey is going to benefit from at least two of my vehicles this year :(.

Wayne

Just had my stock 500 battery replaced right at the 2 year mark, 16000 miles on Boss, by World Ford in Pensacola. All under warranty. Since I don't track car, the mechanic there put the stock 590 (heavier) in it for me, claiming better amperage for starting.

Senderofan

shogrence said:
Just had my stock 500 battery replaced right at the 2 year mark, 16000 miles on Boss, by World Ford in Pensacola. All under warranty. Since I don't track car, the mechanic there put the stock 590 (heavier) in it for me, claiming better amperage for starting.

I'm hoping I cam get the "Regular" battery as well. Hope to find out this afternoon.

Wayne

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
A pound and a half may not seem like much but it like getting married and the wife adding a pound here and a pound there. Next thing you know you're married to King Kong's sister...

I think I'll stick with the Boss Battery. Haven't had an issue with it yet and the car sat most winter. I bought a trickle charger but never bothered to put it on since I was able to start the car at least once every three weeks.

Senderofan

Well...My local dealer advised me to put my dead battery back in the car and call Ford's Roadside Assistance for a tow. I told them thanks...and to have a nice day :), seriously. It was worth a try....but I'm not going to risk having my car get dinged up trying to get it out of my garage and on to a flatbed.

Purchased an economical battery until my Odyssey arrives. I've shed a chunk of weight off the weight of the car today...so the extra 9 pounds of the AGM battery won't make a difference. Those who have had great luck with the OEM battery....Carry on :)!

Wayne

Same thing happened to me but instead of towing, Ford roadside got me started, and then followed me to dealership. Then the dealership replaced under warranty. Was nice because my last BMW didn't have battery replacement warranty, when it died, just a discount based on age. With the Boss I had a problem paying for a 2 year old battery, well actually 2 1/2 since my car was built in 2011. So was nice to get it replaced for free under warranty. Good luck with your new battery.

I stored my 2013 in my garage all winter (stays above freezing) and started it at least twice monthly and let it run for 15-20 minutes. I had to jump it at least 3 times! One time I had to jump it and it had been started less than 7 days prior. I know intermittent starting isn't as good as a battery tender, but I do the same thing for my 67 firebird that sits longer and colder, has the same compression, and is started in colder temps with no problems (and the battery is older)!

I hear you on that. Whats that telling you on the brand of battery. the Motorcraft is at the bottom of the list for replacement unless your not tracking and just a DD or warrenty coverage.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
I believe the Motorcraft batteries are made by Johnson Controls. They private label for Motorcraft, Interstate, Diehard, and Duralast just to name a few. More than likely it's not the brand but rather getting the bad egg of the batch.

Original battery on 2005 F-150 still strong, even kept outside in MN winter where this year we had a month and a half of overnight lows below 0 degrees. The Boss battery is another matter. It is three years old now and still holds a charge. Hasn't gone dead, but doesn't seem to fully charge anymore. I'm pretty sure I'll be lucky to get another couple of years out of it before I have to replace.

Senderofan said:
I think the green buildup may mean you have a leak. Guess I'd clean it up and keep a watch on it. I had AC Delco batteries in my previous diesel start leaking slightly and then they crapped out. My battery for my Boss has gone south. I think these might be a little more fragile than the average battery...since they are a lightened version. I'm not too upset......I have less confidence in OEM batteries after a couple of years than I do after I replace them with an Odyssee (? Sp) battery.

That is not a leak. It is normal for the green fuzz to show up. It's just over time it will happen. Clean it good, then put some anti-oxidant on the terminal and it will slow it down considerable. It is just a reaction (after all, batteries are metal and water making a 2.45v output per cell).

2012Boss302 said:
I put a battery tender on mine when not in use...

Me too. My last OEM battery was still going strong when I sold the car after 7 years - it was a Cheby.

I think how long a battery lasts depends a lot on climate, operating and storage conditions and probably a little luck of the draw.

Well mine finally took a crap today at 27k miles. Had my friend let me borrow her battery out of her Fox until Saturday when I can get to the dealer. Noticed the cracks around the negative terminal. Caused by heat maybe?

85FD8B67-EC67-44BF-B8FF-5C28A6CF2499.jpg

1AD02770-54D1-4C5A-A286-5CA0B3852FEA.jpg

I just checked mine and no cracks but there is some acid leaking from one of the caps. The charge indicator looks orange. Should it be green?

TMO Supporting Vendors