The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

dealer approves trans removal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dealership closed (saturday) but got a letter from Ford racing, michigan. A Ford racing decal with a code number, starting with eo#D , followed by 5 numbers. Licensed by Badillo engineering.I guess it must be for the red key active program?.where does it go?.also, our Boss road trip that we planned months ago, will be a wash.it will not be ready in time.bummer.be drivin the wife's xb scion. (The " Toaster")

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
boss742 said:
Dealership closed (saturday) but got a letter from Ford racing, michigan. A Ford racing decal with a code number, starting with eo#D , followed by 5 numbers. Licensed by Badillo engineering.I guess it must be for the red key active program?.where does it go?.also, our Boss road trip that we planned months ago, will be a wash.it will not be ready in time.bummer.be drivin the wife's xb scion. (The " Toaster")

Yeah that's your track key sticker....there are many opinions about where to put it! Mine is on the drivers side strut tower under the hood

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
boss742 said:
mine is in with all the other boss paper work as I didn't install it. Only required if you are in ca

Trans and factory clutch, flywheel are back in.have been back to dealership more times , I can't remember, was.popping out of 1st, grinds in reverse., limp mode, engine light, ect, ect.I give up, and so does. Service manager.he said ford is aware of all the problems.so what?will probably get it tweaked some more and put it up for sale.never had a car with such a magnitude of problems, great car, horrible trans and related parts.all parts are new, same old shiznit.if you cant shift at peak power, forget it.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
boss742 said:
Trans and factory clutch, flywheel are back in.have been back to dealership more times , I can't remember, was.popping out of 1st, grinds in reverse., limp mode, engine light, ect, ect.I give up, and so does. Service manager.he said ford is aware of all the problems.so what?will probably get it tweaked some more and put it up for sale.never had a car with such a magnitude of problems, great car, horrible trans and related parts.all parts are new, same old shiznit.if you cant shift at peak power, forget it.

I feel so bad for you, I blew the Ford clutch, drove home 300 miles without clutch release function, swapped a used Boss trans and a new McLeod clutch, new Ford throw out bearing in, went to dealer for relearn and was back on track 2 weeks later. I shift at 7500 and no issues. Sad that Ford dealer mechanics can't get your car right. There isn't any reason new parts should perform like sh*t if installed correctly. The car isn't haunted.
Steve

steveespo said:
I feel so bad for you, I blew the Ford clutch, drove home 300 miles without clutch release function, swapped a used Boss trans and a new McLeod clutch, new Ford throw out bearing in, went to dealer for relearn and was back on track 2 weeks later. I shift at 7500 and no issues. Sad that Ford dealer mechanics can't get your car right. There isn't any reason new parts should perform like sh*t if installed correctly. The car isn't haunted.
Steve
I completely agree with this. Time to find another dealer.

just got back from holidays ,P.V Mexico,great time.anyways,before i left,let the dealer know it was popping out of 1st gear.i may have forgot to state last post,that after the trans was in ,with the new ACT clutch,it didn't work.clutch sticking ect.and trans back out again,new Ford parts in(they "forced"the Ford clutch,install because of warrantee issue)?well,i stated the spacer info,and sure enough,the manager asked the mechanic about that-he did indeed forgot to install it,ruining the Act assembly-showed signs of slipping.also he previously told me ,only one guy would handle all work on my car.well, the guy doing the trans,-different guy.i took the car out yesterday,and tried a 3000 gentle 1st gear take off.sure enough(around 300 miles now on clutch)inot only popped out of 1st,car hardly accelerated.smelled clutch bakin' ,major slop in rear now(did i mention after i asked about car's history,was told previous owner was a Ford dealership employee,and after i handed over full payment-used,22 thou kilometers,papers showed car was a RENTAL?)i know ,maybe should have stopped there.i phoned Ford customer service,talked to Meagan.told her the entire story.stated i wanted a different dealership,but was told i'd hear within 2 days from someone. well ,guess who contacts me? the same sevice manager,telling me to bring it in this tuesday.question guys;1st gear pop out-thats not shifter related,not synchros-is it another bad trans?rear end play is huge(car was a rental)tech test drove car last time there-stated clutch stick @7k plus after all Ford parts..and should Ford re emburse my$933 for the ACT clutch? they improperly installed the trans.oh yea,forgot.Ford called me before last trans install.asked if i'd like a Ford Racing clutch for another $1400?.unbelievable!.i've called Ford.what else can i do?yikes, i'm pissed.thinking of demanding a full refund now,at least my wife is.

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Wow. I will now certainly never take my car to a dealership for mechanical work, and I hate when I have to bring it in for electronic work. They are either incompetent or don't care or both. Then they want to milk you for even more money instead of feeling responsible for the time and damages.
Steve

I agree.back to the trans issue.the first time it happened, my wife and daughter were in the car. I just pulled away from the lights and BANG!.like a u joint exploded..I know it was in 1st, and it was violent. When I told Ford, I dont think they believed me.what could cause it to do that. Im sure there must me cracked gear teeth at the least..I told them to drain the trans, to check for shavings.they did not then.they will on tuesday.that trans must come back out. Ill insist.ive been too nice. I want a refund on my clutch, if not, the car.
ill post further news.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
It is truly a shame what has happened to you. Problem now is to get the car fixed with a dealer that you have had a bad experience with. Not all Ford Dealer Service Departments are like this.

Good luck with your repair and continue to document everything. Also keep in contact with Ford Customer Service Department and document who you speak with and if the answers you are getting don't sound right, the ask them for it in writing.

You should and you can ask for a Ford Tech Rep to get involved to review the RO service and/or repair history and inspect your car at the dealership. Ford also has District Service Managers that make regular monthly (or so, depending on location of dealership), visits to dealers. Get a Ford Rep involved, it will improve your chances of success.

Not sure of your location or if you have lemon law protection, but you need to investigate that as well. I know that here in my state, once a customer speaks the "L" word, a manufacture pulls out all the stops to get the car fixed. If not damages are times 3, plus expenses, so $120,000 to $140,000, gets their attention fast! And if it goes to arbitration or the court, customer wins 99% of the time.

Sure hope you don't have to go that route and everything gets resolved on your next service visit.

Regards,
302 Hi Pro

Called Ford customer care, now service manager called me.says bring in in next week .he said Ford wants this deal fixed, and told me they will pull out the trans again-3rd time.they will not re emburse my cost of the clutch I supplied (last install they forgot the spacer, thus causing constant slipping, visual damage to brand new ACT clutch)they also charged me $220 for that install.thats over $1100, out of my pocket, stating it doesnt matter, because its aftermarket..it popped out of 1st again twice yesterday, and same in reverse.I requested, as advised by 302. Hi pro (thanks bud!) The service tech rep will be present.
Los Lonely Boss.

My BOSS does the same thing 2-3 lock out,and it has popped out of first a couple of times, lock out only happens at high rpm 6500/7000. I took it to my local dealer,just to start a service record started,,{they changed the trans oil} guess will have to wait and see what happens :-\

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
trickpony said:
My BOSS does the same thing 2-3 lock out,and it has popped out of first a couple of times, lock out only happens at high rpm 6500/7000. I took it to my local dealer,just to start a service record started,,{they changed the trans oil} guess will have to wait and see what happens :-\

If you had the original, heavier trans oil this change may fix your problem.

I changed to a MGW shifter and that cured my lockout issues. This does not work for all. Rick can verify that.

Ive done the pedal assist spring remove, clutch line, fluid change, mgw,the whiteline trans mount insert (by far the best mod) I also have the C H E -x member torque arm kit, but waiting to install til they get this deal done.its this 2nd trans they put in, either a sloppy install or this new trans is another turd..hey, nice Boss,Trick Pony, just like mine..ive done many more mods, but cant enjoy the car yet. Ive talk to the big trans suppliers techs, mgw techs.they all agree-its probably internal trans issues.or the install is waay out of spec.why Ford does not fix this mess by re fit with the tremec , I dont know.your life can be risked at an intersection, 1st gear popps out, no go.its happened to me several times.freakin embarrasing as well..look whats happening with GM now.never had this happen with the original trans, had everything else go south on that one, but never popped out of 1st, (BANG!), and grind crunch getting into reverse.

FORD SERVICE MANAGER CALLED TODAY ABOUT BRINGING IN THE CAR TOMMOROW.AND THE AFTER HE TOLD ME THEY WOULD PULL THE TRANS.AGAIN HIS STORY CHANGED,SAID HE GOT THE WORD FROM FORD NOT TO PULL THE TRANS,BUT TO REMOVE THE MGW SHIFTER, AND PUT THE STOCK PIECE(CRAP) BACK IN,TO MAKE SURE ,BEFORE GOING AHEAD.I'VE CALLED MIKE AT MGW.LIKE I TOLD HIM -THE OLD TRANS WITH THE MGW ,NEVER POPPED OUT OF GEAR,OR CRUNCHED IN REVERSE.HE SAID MAKE SURE THE HEAT SHIELD IS NOT MAKING CONTACT WITH THE SHIFTER ARM.MY SON AND I JUST CHECKED.NOT EVEN CLOSE.( THE MGW CURED THE 2-3 SHIFT AS WELL,BUT IT JUST BOUNCES OF THE FORD TECH ) HE AGREES,AND SO DOES TECH AT DRIVELINE,THAT ITS TRANS,OR BAD INSTALL.SO AFTER PULLING OUT MY NEW $930 CLUTCH,NOW THEY WANT TO PULL THE $390 U.S. SHIFTER.BULLOCKS!IVE CALLED FORD CUSTOMER CARE.NO HELP WHATSOEVER.IF THEY CAN'T HELP,I'M DOOMED TO THIS EVER ONGOING NIGHTMARE.YOU CAN'T TELL THESE FORD GUYS ANYTHING.THEY HAVE NO CLUE,AND WON'T ADMIT TO THE FAULTY TRANS AND INEFECTIVE LAME CLUTCH.THEY ARE JUST BEING TOLD TO CARRY ON. NEXT,THEY'LL SAY ITS THE I PIECE DRIVESHAFT,SO PUT THE STOCK ONE BACK IN.

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Sadly that is exactly what they will say. They really will only warranty what they have engineered. So if you have 3 or 4 driveline mods, they will of course blame each one for the failure of "the system" . They will also say the installation of the aftermarket parts was not a direct like for like replacement and therefore not covered under the Magnusson Warranty Act, and contributed to the trans failure. I feel for you but you can really only win by getting a Lawyer to start harassing them with lawyer talk, which unless he's your brother will cost you time and money. The modding game is a risky one when it comes to warranties, that's why many here don't want to risk doing too many engine mods or tunes, a failure could be 8-10 grand. Your trans deal is at about $5000 if you have to she'll out for a new trans, clutch and labor. Hope it works out, if it doesn't post here and we can maybe get you to someone who can fix it right without breaking the bank.
Steve

Justin

they replaced my trans with a centerforce DYAD, MGW and one piece shaft no problem....all in the dealer you take it to. sounds like you picked the short straw on dealers

Took the head mechanic out for a 1/2 drive.witnessed a 1st gear pop out, grind in reverse, and get this, hi way , at 7200, clutch pedal, by it self pulled to the floor.he thought the silver key rev limiter kicked in, I re canted, I didnt touch the pedal.anyways, they approved another new trans, but will install factory shifter.then put back the mgw if I wish.he told the head dealership manager ( he runs both dealerships, so it doesnt matter which one i take it to)that the mgw was never a problem with the original trans, this 2nd trans has more problems, also very noisey.he told me he would suggest a better Ford clutch., but whatever,he'd also check rear end end play.my car has spent8- 9 weeks at the dealership so far, and most likely another 2 weekswith this new deal..the last trans was the last in canada at the time..i bought the car last december.almost half of my ownership, car has been at ford.and hood decal still waiting,,,,,..it must sound like im a bi#tch, hey, I spent good money,and I do like the car.but ....Hello, Ford?.

Justin

my factory clutch would do that with only 300 miles on it. hence me putting in a Centerforce DYAD at 500 miles on the car. the current mcleod is doing me great. coupled with my MGW its doing great. This is my second transmisison though. I hope they take care of you I wouldnt be happy either.

I had them replace the hood decal on mine no problems...I have a second decal brand new in a box in my attic that I need to get installed. the first one the dealer put on they screwed it all up.

TMO Supporting Vendors