The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

dealer approves trans removal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talked to the dealer today.trans is en route,should be here next week.apparently, the Boss trans is different than the GT,so they said..still no word when the hood decal is arriving.yea,they screwed last one too. man,it should be paint anyways.i asked about the last trans install when they forgot the spacer,and was that why my ACT clutch sucked/they said no way,as the spacer is only 1/4" thick,and wouldnt affect the sad performance that resulted. a 1/4"?,man thats nothing.i will send that back to ACT.$930.but get a refund from them? i doubt it. bummer.spring is finally coming here(langley .B.C.)how's it doing on the right coast?take care guys. Mark.

dealer tech tells me that 1/4 " would not make a diff.i just know,without that installed.pedal release and engagement was almost foot off of clutch pedal, like still engaged..the ACT clutch also "sucked in" to the floor @6700 rpm,also making a suction sound.i don't know enough about hydralic slave-throw out B's -is it possible the pressure plate diaphram was over extended?.they might be telling me that to cover their ass? they said the ACT set up was no good. anyways,they should not have said the car was ready,and to come get it.they said they test drove it .then the 2nd trans goes in with the ford clutch,and pedal to floor bull all over again. onto trans #3. i'll talk to them again tomorrow.thanks Justin.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
boss742 said:
dealer tech tells me that 1/4 " would not make a diff.i just know,without that installed.pedal release and engagement was almost foot off of clutch pedal, like still engaged..the ACT clutch also "sucked in" to the floor @6700 rpm,also making a suction sound.i don't know enough about hydralic slave-throw out B's -is it possible the pressure plate diaphram was over extended?.they might be telling me that to cover their ass? they said the ACT set up was no good. anyways,they should not have said the car was ready,and to come get it.they said they test drove it .then the 2nd trans goes in with the ford clutch,and pedal to floor bull all over again. onto trans #3. i'll talk to them again tomorrow.thanks Justin.
sounds like this "tech" either is stupid or covering his ass. The ACT clutch could still be defective but proper throw out bearing setup is critical. If it's to shallow it would never fully release. To far it could over extend the pressure plate causing damage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Domestic Product

Big fat tires and everything !
Reading this reminds me of the same trials and tribulations I had with my Boss transmission and Ford. I came real close to getting rid of the car because of this. But I decided the Boss is special enough to fix what Ford will not. Not going to repeat all that here. Did spend time and money and the transmission works as it should. I do worry for how long though. Owning the Boss post warranty , not sure I want to go there. Transmission goes out post warranty and we are looking at some serious cash. Serious cash to fix something you should not have to. My transmission went out at around 7,000 miles. That should not happen. I have a 1990 BMW 325 with 150,000 miles and the transmission is original. Have had lots of other cars as well with manuals.
It is obvious to me that Ford has written off the problems with the transmissions in our cars to something other then a bad design. Tracking, dragging, hot rodding , abuse, anything but a bad design. Proof being we get this same wonderful transmission in the new S550.
Anyways sorry for the rant. I feel your pain, keep after the dealer and good luck getting it fixed correctly.

I won't be buying another Mustang till Getrag is no longer used. They used to be good. So either Ford made them cut back too much on cost, or they are trying to widen their margins by using crap parts. I have been lucky, but this trend is not good. Most of us are OK right now, but how many of us can say we have 80k+ miles on the car? I want something that will last 200k+, like most cars do today. The question is, where is the other side of the bathtub curve on these things?!

i got the extended warantee,good for another 8.5 years.i think it does cover all mechanical and electrics,i'll have to double check.glad i did get it now.i don't think i'll have the car more than a year now..still no word from Ford,guessing trans still not here,and this friday is Easter.next week,or later.can never believe what the dealership tells me now-they said this week-yeah,sure.had the car 6 months now,and car has sat at the dealership well over 3 months.did also ask again,and again-about the hood decal,still nude.told them i wanted it done while the car was there.and still no response about that either.-thats been 5 months!

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
boss742 said:
i got the extended warantee,good for another 8.5 years.i think it does cover all mechanical and electrics,i'll have to double check.glad i did get it now.i don't think i'll have the car more than a year now..still no word from Ford,guessing trans still not here,and this friday is Easter.next week,or later.can never believe what the dealership tells me now-they said this week-yeah,sure.had the car 6 months now,and car has sat at the dealership well over 3 months.did also ask again,and again-about the hood decal,still nude.told them i wanted it done while the car was there.and still no response about that either.-thats been 5 months!

Is it possible to find another dealer in your area??

They don't appear to be working toward your best interests.

Domestic Product

TMSBOSS said:
Is it possible to find another dealer in your area??

They don't appear to be working toward your best interests.

I second that. I shopped several dealers for service work before taking the Boss in and it was not the dealer I purchased from that I picked. I would call around and talk to the service managers and see who has experience with the Boss. Also anybody on here live around you that has any recommendations for a good dealer service department ?

the dealership owns both outlets in my area.,i'm out in the 'burbs . yes,i have thought about this.there is one performance dealership which is an hour away in downtown Vancouver,B.C. -Brown Bros.-the original owner used to actually campaign and race the Boss mustangs back in the day.if not resolved,i might have to contact them.

Domestic Product

boss742 said:
the dealership owns both outlets in my area.,i'm out in the 'burbs . yes,i have thought about this.there is one performance dealership which is an hour away in downtown Vancouver,B.C. -Brown Bros.-the original owner used to actually campaign and race the Boss mustangs back in the day.if not resolved,i might have to contact them.

Hey , we are neighbors sort of. I'm down in the Seattle area. We are lucky that here we have a lot of Ford dealers. They are all over the place. If I were you I would contact the dealer in Vancouver and make plans to get the car to them. You cant take the Boss in to just your average guy IMO. Make it a trip, as you know down town Vancouver is a fun place. Used to go up once or twice a year for week end get aways till the boarder became to much of a hassle.

the perf.Ford dealership stated the current dealership has to finish all work,then i can go elsewhere.Any body please chime in if anyone knows about the trans install.the dealership called yesterday to say trans arrived,will get to it starting monday. he asked since my ACT clutch was in the trunk,if i wanted it put in again-Last time it was installed,they forgot the spacer, that goes behind the throwout hydralic bearing,rendering the trans function incorrect,then trans came out,Ford clutch back in,with spacer-it worked,but pedal stuck to floor again,along with a dud trans..my dilemma is since they are installing another new trans, should i go with the same,or new Ford set up,which works fine-BELOW 7000.or try the ACT HD FM 13 SS clutch again,but with the spacer-its only 1/4" thick-feedback from Justin thinks thats significant. i cant reach any trans -install people that are hip to these cars,plus its holiday -Good Friday.this also might be the last time this trans goes in-my feelings are that the stock Boss clutch is extremley weak,should have never been in from day one(same as the getrag m82) and that a slight possibility the ACT clutch is faulty.the pressure plate sure looks way beefier,but it only has 4 hub springs on the disk(they are bigger diameter however)-any thoughts?

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Justin said:
they replaced my trans with a centerforce DYAD, MGW and one piece shaft no problem....all in the dealer you take it to. sounds like you picked the short straw on dealers

Same here... Maybe my $7000 ADM had something to do with it ::)

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
And here is how important a few hundredths are in this set up for a throwout bearing Measure the setup height of the clutch assembly. Bolt the pressure plate to the flywheel with the disc so it is exactly as it would be in the car. Set the assembly up on a flat block under the crank flange of the flywheel. Measure from the tip of the clutch fingers, down through the disc center hub, to the block that the flywheel is sitting on. Take an average reading of 3 or 4 positions on the fingers around the clutch. This is dimension C in our example and on the bearing setup worksheet.

DO THE MATH - Sample installation:

Dimension A (crank flange protrusion) = .300”

Dimension B (distance bell face to bearing) = 3.750”

B – A = Available space in the bellhousing 3.450”

Dimension C (setup height of clutch ) = 3.050”

B – C = Dimension D (setup gap) = .400”

In this example, we have a .400” gap between the bearing face compressed and the clutch fingers. The proper setup gap for the release bearing is .150-.200”. Spacer shims will need to be added to achieve this gap.

If the setup gap (D) is less than .150, or possibly a negative number, adjustments will need to be made to achieve proper fit. This may include but not be limited to trimming the collar base of the transmission to allow the bearing to sit back further, or using a spacer shim between the transmission and bellhousing.

Once you have completed these measurements and double-checked your math, you are ready to proceed with testing and installation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i did a quick measurement when they gave me the original stock clutch . and the ACT.from -face down-pressure plate -to disk to flywheel.it was real close,within if i remember,less than 20 thou,.this was not ,however bolted on car.i can see that 1/4" -spacer thickness is huge deal now..i want to re use the new ACT-because i paid $930.and at this time won't(can't) buy another clutch.and this all might be a moot point with this guy-before he stated Ford wanted all Ford parts, so ,like i said earlier, i was shocked to hear that he would offer that choice. he might change his tune monday,.i'm curious to see how that last Boss clutch looks like,had less than 350 miles,but i'm sure it was slipping.i did see a blog online where some aftermarket firm threw in the same ACT(Roush-yates sells the same ACT on their website) into a supercharged '13 GT and had over 500 miles and they loved it.but hey,it s magazine hype,who really knows?i'll know more on Monday,and will pass the info on to the Ford mechanic. i did see a recent Ford notice stating the modding of Mustang driveline will void warantee.and just read a blog stating ford has upgraded the Boss clutch.what? i just had the newer Boss clutch-sent up from michigan installed,maybe 3 weeks old-and it's by far weaker than the original old clutch.Ford,what the f#^# are you doing? thanks guys.

picked up the car today on the way home from work. the service manager told me on the phone that this was the best tranny yet. he did mention,upon removing the trans, that the slave cylinder-throw out bearing fell apart upon removal! he was shocked,as that is the 3rd new one put in along the trans fiasco.never heard of that one. anyways,they did use my ACT clutch,and kept the MGW. the service manager and tech were gone when i got there. got in and drove home.hey people,they were right.(so far) its really quiet,goes into ALL gears,reverse,1st,2nd to 5-6. like silk!.it seems much more natural to shift.this is the 3rd trans now,all being different-this last one is REALLY NICE. this may be(finally) an updated trans-it apparently is fresh from Ford-the last were sitting on a shelf for how long? the ACT responds, and grips-engagement much better than the Boss clutch. now that i have a better trans,i can install all my other parts, also the CHE x member- torque arm kit,. i will do the Mcleod rst twin disc upgrade this summer- they gave me the newer Boss flywheel,which i can re use.hope this nightmare is over. whew!

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Glad it worked out. I really believe that the MT-82 is not a bad transmission for Road Racing if it is not abused. For supercharged and drag racing it is not going to live long, torque capacity is just not there. The Ford clutches are just not capable of handling the high rpm, the diaphragm goes over center too easy, and the marcel springs are not retained in the disc strongly enough.

McLeod clutch has been perfect for me so far, but does rattle at low RPM if you lug the engine below 1600 rpm. Also the stock flywheels will not work properly with the RST/RXT especially the Boss flywheels wheels have a different pressure plate bolt pattern. I used McLeod SFI approved lightened billet steel flywheel, it weighs the same as a stock flywheel, but has the surface area closer to the center to mate with the smaller diameter dual disc plates of the RST/RXT clutches.

Steve

steveespo said:
Glad it worked out. I really believe that the MT-82 is not a bad transmission for Road Racing if it is not abused. For supercharged and drag racing it is not going to live long, torque capacity is just not there. The Ford clutches are just not capable of handling the high rpm, the diaphragm goes over ceter to easy, and the marcel springs are not retained in the disc strongly enough.

Steve
I agree with Steve's assessment of the MT-82. I believe some but not all of the tranny problems are caused by the clutch not fully disengaging which causes owners to force the car into gear putting undue pressure/wear on the transmission. I'm no longer trying to make my shifts as quickly as possible and am instead taking a split second longer and being very deliberate while shifting. We'll see how long my tranny lasts this time. ::)

After supper last night , put more miles on the car.man, its like a new car.Justin stated that he used his Boss flywheel with his Mcleod.I couldn't afford it then, but will go for the entire mcleod deal, including the flywheel. I know now thant you can't cheap out on parts.
I got hi beamed by a gorgeous 2013 dark blue Shelby last nite.I pulled over, and chatted.he thought my car was his old Boss.he has the Boss race lightweight vented hood, in the same orange.he's looking to sell it.I know these were very pricey new.any idea what they are worth?.I got his number.its probably out of my range, I can pass his info along if anyone is interested,I could get his price.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel