The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Lap Time Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I had a fantastic 2 days with Trackdaze at VIR this Past Thursday and Friday. I had made a bunch of changes to the car and was excited to shake it down (Square 305/30/19 Nitto NT01s on new @APEXRaceParts 19x11 wheels, new Raybestos ST43 Brake Pads, new alignment with -2.0 front and -2.2 rear at 0 toe).

I'd only run one day prior on VIR Full, and one day on VIR Grand, and my best full time in my now sold 2015 GTPP was 2:26. I was immediately way faster than that on day 1, and was in the low 2:10s towards the end of the 2 days. In the final session I put more pieces together and pulled off a 2:08.6! There's still a bunch of time out there to trim, but I couldn't be happier with how the car and new upgrades performed. Probably the only thing I'll change is maybe dialing in -.25 degrees more front camber, and maybe dialing out +.2 degrees in the rear.

It was also great meeting and hanging out with @AMPowerJ - sorry about the oil issues - just glad it didn't turn into something catastrophic.

Got a couple of entries Harry's with external GPS but the iPhone videos suck.

Sebring Home Track
March 26, 2017
GT350 TP
100% stock on OEM MPSS
2:28.99

Atlanta Motorsports Park 1st time
Aug 12, 2017
GT350 TP
Camber Plates and 305 square setup on stock rims Hankook RS-4
1:34.55

Memphis Motorsports Park 1st time
Aug 13, 2017
GT350 TP
Camber Plates and 305 square setup on stock rims Hankook RS-4
1:15.52

Peter

Track: Autoclub Speedway (Roval)
Date: 8/19/17
Best Time: 1:54.48
Car: 2017 GT350 bone stock

Source: AiM Solo
Tires: stock Michelin PSS
Tire pressures (hot): 36
Suspension: stock
Damper settings: "track"
top speed: 152MPH at entry of T1

comment: 91F ambient temp. Bone stock GT350, bought 3 week ago. High oil temp - 280F. I showed up at track at 3:15pm. Got on track for 2 sessions. This was done in low intermediate session, so a ton of slow cars (up to 2:30 lap). Best lap AIM Solo showed a -1 second predictive, so easily could of been 53s without traffic. My line was also a bit off for this car also. Track mileage was 5.4MPG, with a small tank, it means I could barely finish 2 sessions (had to cut short the 2nd session). This track is very hard on brakes, surprisingly, OEM pads handles 2 laps without issues (this is a first for me, never had a stock brake not fade by lap 2 at ACS). By 3rd lap, brake would fade, but 1 cool off lap would bring it back.

Last edited:
That oil temp looks hot. I've run in 100 degree temps and only saw low 260's.

My last post (#1053), at SOW, 101F day, we (2 of us) hit ~290F.

and few post prior (#1037), my buddy also hit 285 at Sonoma on ~100F day.

my other buddy also hit 280F at ACS Roval same session as I did.

We (3 cars, all new 2017, all less than a month old) all hit minimum of 280F, have seen as high as 295F on tracks.

but I am not that worried, probably just changing oil every couple track days. Already sent my oil sample to Blackstone.

I've also discovered (new to me at least) and confirmed that steering wheel will sometime (not consistently, only did it a couple of times) stiffen up (mainly at corner exit) if in sport or normal mode. GT350 steering should be tracked in comfort mode

Last edited:

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
New personal best today at Palmer Motorsports! Actually had 2 personal bests, first one on my Conti scrubs and then swapped to my Pirelli DH scrubs and went 2 seconds faster... very good day!

2014 GT TP
Suspension, brakes, aero, Pirelli DH, BAMA tune

Results from this weekend-

Mid Ohio Pro Course - 1:35.2
Mid Ohio Club Course - 1:36.1

Both in a 2012 TT3 Spec Mustang on Pirelli DH's. Not too bad for my first trip to MidO. Left about a second on the table on the Pro course Saturday. Learned a few things on Sunday that would have helped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
8/28/17
Laguna Seca 1:40.3
2006 Mustang GT 3 valve
Tires-R7's
Mods-Yes.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
All times updated to this point!

@Shonuff82 that puts you at the top of the leaderboard on the Mid-O Club Course!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Last edited:

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I'm still slower than you....have to work on that.

You will have a lot more opportunity to practice at Laguna than I will...get to work! There is another 2-3 seconds in my car there if I stop wimping out going down the corkscrew :)

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
You will have a lot more opportunity to practice at Laguna than I will...get to work! There is another 2-3 seconds in my car there if I stop wimping out going down the corkscrew :)
I like the corkscrew. Something we changed added a ton of understeer so as soon as I get that figured out I'll take another stab at it. 1:37 is no joke. Hats off to you my friend.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I was busy chasing @ilesjohn 's 1:36 SCCA time he mentioned to me :)

Is the push at high speed or low speed or everywhere?

Here is a 1:38 lap, my go pro refused to work during qualifying where I did the 1:37. But I have photo evidence :)
X6jIL5B.png

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I was busy chasing @ilesjohn 's 1:36 SCCA time he mentioned to me :)

Is the push at high speed or low speed or everywhere?

Here is a 1:38 lap, my go pro refused to work during qualifying where I did the 1:37. But I have photo evidence :)
X6jIL5B.png

There's not much low speed at Laguna.
I took wing out and it got better, but it understeer's pretty much everywhere.
It used to be perfectly balanced, now the understeer is killing me.
Its stiffer than it was, but nowhere near as stiff as some of you guys.
I went from 500/325 to 600/350. I know some of the big spring cars have a much higher rear roll center which helps this but I can't afford to do anything that loosens it up with this much motor. I need to get my front end back where it was but I'm not convinced its the springs fault. I had no way of measuring the wing angle at the track so it may be that simple....

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
FWIW I run my wing pretty close to flat. I'd bet AJ's wing is even more efficient than my APR one, as well.
You could try stiffening your rear bar, but that may affect traction when on-power not in a straight line, depends how good your diff is.

Alternately (or cumulatively), can you soften your front bar at all?

I run 600/325 now so that's pretty darn close to my setup--although in that Laguna video I was on 800/275.

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors