The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Mystery Ford to be revealed at 2012 SEMA Show

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zzyzx

Steve
[quote author=Fat Boss]
Do you mean it's too much power for you? Without seeing the torque curve I don't know how you could pass judgement.
[/quote]

It's not too much power, it's too much torque.

Here's how I can pass judgement:

HP = (TQ * RPM) / 5252.

RPM = (374 HP * 5252) / 505 TQ

RPM = 3,889

374 HP @ 3,889 RPM peak

Let's say for the sake of the argument that you hit full boost on this motor @ 1800 RPM (possible, not probable), then you have a window of 2,089 RPM where there's a HUGE gain in HP. What happens beyond that is unknown since we only know peaks, but bottom line this is a "peaky" engine, not suited to a track application.

This is a stump puller, not a racer.

This is the SHO dyno graph. Probably closed to what it will look like in the Mustang than the F150 version. Yeah it might get peaky once you remove the plateau from the programing, but you don't have to go for peak tq numbers and can tune it flatter. Also I'm sure a lot of the people tuning will swap turbos, as they do with other cars.

869d4925171120b3883fd7f5c491e1f3.jpg

My guess is that the Mustang version will have appropriate heads, etc to make it more of a winder. Also for the how long will it last, I know people making 350/350+ AWD WHP/tq on stock internal 2.0 liter motors and have been doing so since 2005ish. I had mine tuned for more power for 4 years and when I had the motor inspected before I sold it, it was in perfect condition. That includes a lot of track days. It all depends on whether Ford builds the motor to barely handle stock power (hello BMW) or they plan ahead knowing that people like to tune turbos especially in the market they seem to be targeting.

zzyzx

Steve
[quote author=CaliMR]My guess is that the Mustang version will have appropriate heads, etc to make it more of a winder.[/quote]

That's what I was thinking, also. I'll bet the H/W on the Mustang version will be different. Power delivery like a 4G63 Evo would be the best you could hope for...

zzyzx said:
[quote author=Fat Boss]
Do you mean it's too much power for you? Without seeing the torque curve I don't know how you could pass judgement.

It's not too much power, it's too much torque.

Here's how I can pass judgement:

HP = (TQ * RPM) / 5252.

RPM = (374 HP * 5252) / 505 TQ

RPM = 3,889

374 HP @ 3,889 RPM peak

Let's say for the sake of the argument that you hit full boost on this motor @ 1800 RPM (possible, not probable), then you have a window of 2,089 RPM where there's a HUGE gain in HP. What happens beyond that is unknown since we only know peaks, but bottom line this is a "peaky" engine, not suited to a track application.

This is a stump puller, not a racer.

[/quote]

The ECO BOOST is not a peaky engine from what I've seen. It has a very flat torque curve. I didn't realize this is a discussion about race cars, I thought it was about street cars.

GA
colticus said:
PJWANNABE said:
The Focus ST has a "Boost" button for temporarily increasing performance. You will probably see this in future cars.

Can't wait to try it out!
beigedesktoppccomputer.jpg

LOL... I remember those. They did as much good as the buttons that they put on street corners for pedestrians to push when the light is red. :D

About 6 months ago I remember reading on a forum, can't remember which, that someones uncle worked in engine development and told the individual that Ford was working on a new version of the Boss 429 engine. Then last week on boss302.com someone said Ford was going to start production of B9 heads again and a new head labeled "A441". I don't know anything about the later but maybe another Boss 429 Mustang coming down the pike. If not a B9 my guess would be a Mach 1. Can't believe Ford wouldn't exploit the Mach name again with the new CJ Mustangs sucess.

four-walling said:
I had a fox body Mustang, a 1982 GT 5.0.

It was the fastest domestic car you could buy in 1982. The CHP used them as pursuit vehicles.

I think it had all of 175 HP, or so... :)

Image02_002.sized.jpg

It had a whopping 157hp. As a high school senior, I was drooling over it. Hard to believe that my GT500 (mit Whipple) has ~ 5 times the hp. The ad that started it all...

_bossisback.jpg

Another...

_bossback.jpg

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
82_CHP_Beach1.jpg

“This Ford chases Porsches for a living” … was how Ford described their new 1982 pursuit package Mustang. The early 80’s were a tough time for those in law enforcement needing a speedy chase vehicle. Big block powered Police vehicles were history, and the cruisers of the day were woefully underpowered for pursuit situations. Something was needed to fill the void, and Ford stepped in during 1982 introducing the SSP, or Special Service Package, equipped Mustang. During 1982 406 of these vehicles were built for one agency, the California Highway Patrol, to try on their roads. The cars were such a success that in 1983 many other agencies followed suit and ordered them, including FHP, Texas DPS, Colorado and Wisconsin State Patrols.

Equipped in the classic Black and White CHP colors, the Fox bodies quickly gained a reputation for running down speeders where CHP’s slow and unwieldy St. Regis patrol cars couldn’t. Handling was nimble, and the power to weight ratio was excellent. At 157 HP with a Holley 2 barrel carb, 4 speed manual transmission, 3.08 7.5” rear end and single exhaust, these cars may not seem exciting today, but at the time there wasn’t much that could outrun one!

Despite using a stock Mustang drivetrain, the SSP Mustang quickly earned a reputation for being durable, reliable and using less fuel than full size vehicles. For departments the size of CHP and others, it added up to some real bottom line cost savings, and the cars quickly became a staple of the fleet.

Although the SSP would offer many ‘Police only’ options throughout the 11 year program run in 1982 only a few were available. On this particular car, a 140 MPH ‘Certified’ speedometer, anti-static bonding straps, and single key locking were typical of items available only to law enforcement. As the program progressed through 1993, other options such as silicone hoses, 130 amp heavy duty alternators, oil coolers, and special wheels were offered on the SSP option list.

Equipment on this particular car (and all 1982 CHP Mustangs) was fairly Spartan...roll up windows, manual door locks, no cruise control, and no radio! A Federal Signal CC-1 siren, Micor radio and Regency M-100 scanner were standard emergency equipment, as well as the roof mounted antenna and quarter panel mounted ‘whip’ antenna. Along with the traditional ‘steady burn’ red spotlight, used for signaling violators to pull over, wigwags and alternately flashing red and yellow rear deck lights were also used. Additionally, an electronically operated shotgun rack and ‘gooseneck’ reading lamp were part of the typical CHP setup on all vehicles. This car has been restored as correctly as possible, with genuine CHP equipment being used as part of the effort.

Sesshomurai

Probably one of these "designer" mustangs.

http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/2012/10/24/ford-previews-custom-mustangs-for-2012-sema-show/

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
http://forums.themustangsource.com/f726/first-sema-2012-pic-515206/ ???

TMO Supporting Vendors