The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Pretty cool cooling mod

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roywilk1960 said:
Anyone try raising the back of the hood 1/4"? Might give just a bit more front down force.
It would let the air out and lower the temp.

It won't let the air out when driving. The base of the windscreen is a high pressure zone. Cowl induction after all is a way to force feed air into the engine.

Not to be a smart ass, my job is how I know it works. I've been making my living in motor racing for 28 years, Trans-Am with Jack Roush, Grand-Am with Riley, CART/IRL, been there done that...

roywilk1960 said:
Not to be a smart ass, my job is how I know it works. I've been making my living in motor racing for 28 years, Trans-Am with Jack Roush, Grand-Am with Riley, CART/IRL, been there done that...

Also not being a smart ass but most here don't know you from Adam. That is why I was asking for a little tech to back up your claim. 8)

roywilk1960 said:
Not a probem.
Just trying to use what I have learned to help.
They can take it or leave it, their choice.
Do we just use a 1/4" steel/aluminum shim at the back of the hood? Will the stock hood latch still hold or would we need to add pins?

Good question. I'll look at mine tonight.
I do know that one big mistake that I've seen made is, lots of air in and no way to get it out.
There is a lot going on under the hood of this car.
If raising the back saves you from spending $850 on a new rad...

There is no seal along the side of the hood now stock. How is raising it .250 at the back going to make a difference? What did you do for Roush sweep the floors?

PTRocks said:
There is a seal. I know for sure, because I detailed all around it on Saturday. Are you always this snarky with people?

Yes when they say stupid stuff like you just did. The seal is along the back so if raising the back would help removing the seal would help even more. Since neither will help and the guy making the suggestion of raising the back already admits that he suggests it draws air out of the side where there is no seal and there all ready is a gap. So raising still does NO GOOD.

roywilk1960 said:
Good question. I'll look at mine tonight.
I do know that one big mistake that I've seen made is, lots of air in and no way to get it out.
There is a lot going on under the hood of this car.
If raising the back saves you from spending $850 on a new rad...
Can you post some photos of what you did to raise your hood?

908ssp said:
PTRocks said:
There is a seal. I know for sure, because I detailed all around it on Saturday. Are you always this snarky with people?

Yes when they say stupid stuff like you just did. The seal is along the back so if raising the back would help removing the seal would help even more. Since neither will help and the guy making the suggestion of raising the back already admits that he suggests it draws air out of the side where there is no seal and there all ready is a gap. So raising still does NO GOOD.
Hey 908, civility goes a long way. If you raise the rear of the hood, naturally the gap on the sides increase. Is it enough to do the job? Don't know, but bit sounds feasible. Either way, you can prove him right or wrong by trying it. Otherwise, you won't impress anyone with brash comments.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
roywilk1960 said:
I'll take some pics after this weekend, been busy getting ready for Mid-Ohio.
I will leave the comment from 909ssp alone.

You going to NASA nationals? What class/car?

I'm the crew chief for the #34, Conquest Racing Indy Racing League car. We race at Mid-Ohio this weekend.

I'm pretty sure there are some 1/2" round nylon spacers from McMaster-Carr. I will look up the part # and post.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel