The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Solar battery tender

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Great question!

I have used a few. I like Noco and have this one:
https://no.co/blsolar5
lar-battery-trickle-charger-clamps-12-volt-plug@2x.jpg
I like their style of connectors and this unit puts out about ~.3A at charging voltage in full sun. Amorphous cells are nice for charging in lower light or less than ideal conditions. Crystalline cells put almost nothing out if even one in a chain is in the shade.

The also have crystalline:
https://no.co/xgs4auto
I don't have one of these - the cells look cheap. I like the rest of the hardware and accessories, though.

For cheaper units, I also like these and have several:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Solar-Powe...ttery-Maintainer-Trickle-Charger/192040606922
s-l1600.jpg
They use very efficient Sunpower monocrystalline, but the black sewn nylon trim on the perimeter isn't UV stabilized and started disintegrating under a year of daily use. Laminate and everything else is fine. One maintains my friends WRX with an AGM and keeps it nicely topped off even with 1/2 day exposure. Good for ~.27A at charging voltage in full sun. I usually cut the LED indicator in the lighter adapter. I have a 4-1 splitter so that I can hook up to 4 of these for over 1A, if needed.

Stay away from these:
s-l500.jpg
I've seen them branded as Coleman, Sunforce and other. 1.8W, rated for 125mA but I've only seen .02-.03A from any of them. Worthless on even a healthy battery and a modern car with the slightest current draw. And the blinking LED is a heavy 'tax' with as little as these put out.

Hope that helps!

cobrarob

11 Shelby GT500
new york
That helped and then some! Thanks Grant for the advice and reviews of them. Gonna look into the Noco and the Allpowers. Never used a tender, always started the car every week in winter but just in case I get lazee..lol
Thanks again,I’ll post the one I get
Rob

Grant 302

I think that's a good choice for northern elevations and winter use.

but just in case I get lazee..lol

That's why I have them! I got tired of running my friends car around every week or bringing it to the garage every few weeks to use the plug-in units.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I have one (a Battery-Tender branded one) mounted to the roof of my trailer; it keeps the trailer battery charged while it sits in outdoor storage.
An additional plus of the Battery-Tender one is that I can connect a long cord to it and also use it to trickle-charge the car at the track even without my generator running. That definitely takes some time, though.

cobrarob

11 Shelby GT500
new york
I was lookin at the battery tender brand before I posted the thread but didn't see an option of the added extension cable. After the post and the advice from Grant the Noco one look real nice...waterproof, added length and the cables look HD. Thinkin next year of the lightweight Odyssey you guys are running so this should work out good. Need all the weight I can take off of her heavy nose

Grant 302

Battery Tender makes quality products and most people I know, have used them successfully.

...but...

The SAE DC connector protocol has one major fault. One side of a connection will have an exposed positive lead when disconnected. Needing a plug on an unfused pigtail just seems like an unnecessary risk to me. With the Noco connectors, both leads on both sides are pretty well covered when disconnected and can't be connected the wrong way.

SAE:
G-QD-8-2.jpg

Noco:
male-to-female-xconnect-extension-cable-front_1@2x.jpg

x-connect_ends_for_n_plus_2_6@2x.jpg

Grant 302

This is the 4-1 splitter in the FakeR:
24396759908_c1bbe4894b.jpg

3 in use:
24396758978_8255aef041.jpg

In my friends WRX:26491821869_8640f7fd9c.jpg

Sun damage on trim:
24396761538_2062d7a023.jpg

The Noco unit still looks new, I use it mostly in the Explorer when we go on vacation, so we don't come back to a dead battery.

cobrarob

11 Shelby GT500
new york
Use that power! Havnt had a chance to mount it yet. Wanted to mount on the outside wall in the back ,but gonna cut a 12x12 in one of the panels on the garage door and mount it on the inside(littl plexiglass in between) Hopefully super is ok with it:(.

Grant 302

All of my Battery Tender products have a cap for the exposed lead. You have quite the solar farm going! :)

Now if only I'd get off my ass and put one on the house! Agreed about the caps on all the Battery Tender brand equipment. I only meant that the leads aren't idiot-proof and we've all done idiotic stuff from time to time.

Some of the panels even serve as backup for USB devices:
25749644468_61c6400048.jpg

27843666499_4e8e4bff8a.jpg

25749642388_c7b91cc2ea.jpg

Grant 302

Also got one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Sun...00&sr=1-4-catcorr&keywords=suaoki+solar+panel

61f7rmlLxjL._SX522_.jpg

Not bad for $39.99 shipped. Should be able to replace the 3 smaller panels that are in the FakeR right now. Same type of SunPower cells and no nylon case to wear in the sun, just the sealed flexible weatherproof encapsulation. Uses both 5.5mmx2.1mm (same as my 4-1 splitter) DC plug and SAE via included adapter dongle.

Grant 302

I would like to use a one of these to maintain the battery in the BOSS and our 69 Vette. The cord seems to be too short to be practical for my use. Can the cords be extended?

Everything I've used so far can be extended. Sometimes by the manufacturer, and if not, by finding the cable with the right connectors. The Suaoki one I just posted came with a 5 foot cord for the cigarette lighter port. A cord like this could be used to extend it:

5.5mm x 2.1mm male to female 12 foot cable.
https://www.amazon.com/Hanvex-HDCQ12-Adapter-Extension-Wireless/dp/B00FTFYH0U

Rated for up to 36V and 3A, so it should work just fine.

I use one like that with 5.5mm x 2.5mm for the Allpowers panel in the back window of my friend's WRX.

If you're using the battery clips, you could use either that cable or an SAE extension.

TMO Supporting Vendors