The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

The GT350R

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2015-Detroit-2016-Ford-Mustang-Shelby-GT350R-14.jpg
2015-Detroit-2016-Ford-Mustang-Shelby-GT350R-15.jpg

cloud9 said:
This is starting to feel like torture.......I just have to keep reminding myself......

Yoda_zps7b52d5f1.jpg

And look how much he has aged from having Patience...
I'm just glad that in my case I know I'm not getting one and will remain young forever. 8)

NFSBOSS said:
Also, I've heard that CCB's are not going to be offered at all and there just wasn't enough of a difference to justify the added expense.

Grant 302 said:
Since there haven't been any pics and no Ford exec mentioned them, I figured that has to be the case. Despite the 'order form' leak.

Its not due to pricing its performance. Rumors say this car performs much better with the iron rotors and its all air flow related. I guess Brembo demands a specific airflow spec or something and the amount of air they had was perfect for the iron rotors not so much for the carbon so iron clearly out performed it. Not sure but maybe it had something to do with the carbon wheels not eating heat also.

NFSBOSS said:
Interesting photo of the R wing. Not sure why Ford has that added brace in there but one has to suspect there's an issue with the rigidity of the wing.

attachment.jpg

Those tires are way to huge IMO. its like the Z28 started this gigantic auto cross inspired over huge tires - a lot like the Pro turing Mark Stielow, Vorschlag crowd.. everyone wants the huge amount of mechanical grip and throw out refined manners and high speed drag. the freaking drag they create is horrifying and i'm sure it limits top speed.

on a track w speeds less than 140mph I get that a 305 rear and 295 front are worth it but 315 rear 305 front are steamroller sized. not only the aero drag, tram lining, and rolling resistance.. its the ugly factor. granted the bearings on this car are made much stronger than s197 just to deal with these meats. 295 square setup is the max IMO for looks and speed.

Examples
steam1.jpg

steam2.jpg

steam3.jpg

NFSBOSS said:
Interesting photo of the R wing. Not sure why Ford has that added brace in there but one has to suspect there's an issue with the rigidity of the wing.

attachment.jpg

It might be a sensor measuring flex or vibration. They are probably trying different materials and want to see how it behaves.

Let's hope its not a brace. It's already questionable from the looks department to me. It screams Subaru Sti.

twistedneck said:
Those tires are way to huge IMO. its like the Z28 started this gigantic auto cross inspired over huge tires - a lot like the Pro turing Mark Stielow, Vorschlag crowd.. everyone wants the huge amount of mechanical grip and throw out refined manners and high speed drag. the freaking drag they create is horrifying and i'm sure it limits top speed.

on a track w speeds less than 140mph I get that a 305 rear and 295 front are worth it but 315 rear 305 front are steamroller sized. not only the aero drag, tram lining, and rolling resistance.. its the ugly factor. granted the bearings on this car are made much stronger than s197 just to deal with these meats. 295 square setup is the max IMO for looks and speed.

I'll take the mechanical grip any day over the consequences of add'l drag. the tracks I like driving don't see speeds in the 140mph range anyway so there wouldn't really be any downside. The aesthetics piece is subjective, obviously, and I like the meat.

fuhrius said:
I'll take the mechanical grip any day over the consequences of add'l drag. the tracks I like driving don't see speeds in the 140mph range anyway so there wouldn't really be any downside. The aesthetics piece is subjective, obviously, and I like the meat.

Agree 100%.

After quite a bit of testing, I settled on a wing configuration that gives me more mechanical grip and increased my average speed for a lap at the expense of a couple mph top end speed. I have a larger OD tire which adds top end mph limits to offset somewhat. So I'm all about mechanical grip.

twistedneck does have a point about tire size addiction. lol. There is a point where it gets ridiculous, but its not 305,315's in my opinion - that's what I run! lol
It's got to be paired with the whole package, if you're at 500rwhp the extra .3-.5" treadwidth and rotating mass is worth it if you use it properly in the corners.
Looks are subjective, but more dedicated track/race cars will always look exaggerated and slightly goofy (i.e. stock cars! lol)

DGRacing said:
Agree 100%.

After quite a bit of testing, I settled on a wing configuration that gives me more mechanical grip and increased my average speed for a lap at the expense of a couple mph top end speed. I have a larger OD tire which adds top end mph limits to offset somewhat. So I'm all about mechanical grip.

twistedneck does have a point about tire size addiction. lol. There is a point where it gets ridiculous, but its not 305,315's in my opinion - that's what I run! lol
It's got to be paired with the whole package, if you're at 500rwhp the extra .3-.5" treadwidth and rotating mass is worth it if you use it properly in the corners.
Looks are subjective, but more dedicated track/race cars will always look exaggerated and slightly goofy (i.e. stock cars! lol)

I saw the R tires yesterday.. the look HUGE off the rims just sitting there. reminds me of the Viper when i first started working on that i was shocked how wide the rears were. this isn't that wide though. i agree 305 even 315 is probably where we need to be for tracking - the used Conti slicks are 305 / 18's but my buddy who runs them said they are more like 290's.

Doesn't Vorshlag run 345 rear 325 front? now that is huge.

back to topic, its crazy how this street car has such wide and excellent tires. these pilot sport cup 2's are probably the best performance tire ever made for a v8 front engine heavy car, i'd say better than the Trofeo's and those are some of the best in the world - but not Michelin.

twistedneck said:
I saw the R tires yesterday.. the look HUGE off the rims just sitting there. reminds me of the Viper when i first started working on that i was shocked how wide the rears were. this isn't that wide though. i agree 305 even 315 is probably where we need to be for tracking - the used Conti slicks are 305 / 18's but my buddy who runs them said they are more like 290's.

Doesn't Vorshlag run 345 rear 325 front? now that is huge.

back to topic, its crazy how this street car has such wide and excellent tires. these pilot sport cup 2's are probably the best performance tire ever made for a v8 front engine heavy car, i'd say better than the Trofeo's and those are some of the best in the world - but not Michelin.

Yeah, not to knock Vorshlag, Terry and co. trailblaze all kinds of stuff - great respect! But that track mustang is over the top in terms of aero and tires! lol

One more off-topic point about tire sizes. And throw this into the mix of confusions. a 305 is not the same 'real' width across brands of tires. Sometimes a larger tire will have a smaller tread width. For example, Hoosier 320/.../18 slicks have .5" less tread width than their 310. etc. etc. some brand 305's are more like 295's, etc.

So in the end, its a process and tradeoffs for a specific car. :)

Gosh darn I am so in love with that car!!!

I kind of hope Ford loses it's mind and prices it at 100 grand so that I am not tempted to sell my LS!

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel