The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

TracKey is here! Those that are installing - please post!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thanks for the responses ! I'll be calling around my area to get a realistic price.

Nevermind the goofy dude - will take more pics this weekend. This car is a BEAST !

photo.jpg

Tflong24 said:
My wife said 1984 called wants its shoes back!!!

ROFL yea but im from Jersey so..... 8)

Thanks guys - i've been shopping around and Downs Ford in Toms River quoted me 302+1 1/2 hr. labor +tax
Rick in motorsports says his shop sells the packages to all the other Ford dealers in the region as he orders 5 at a time - what ever - the quote seems right on.

Should have it installed by Thurs next week.

tks !

I guess he subscribes to the break it in easy school of though. The other school says you should perform a lot of hard accelerating and decelerating the first few hundred miles. Something the trackey would help with.

I installed trackey with 100 miles on the odo.I have been running the piss out of it ever since.I now have 1000 miles on the car with no problems and no oil consumption.

I attemped to relpy earlier today but for some reason it didn't post. My brother-in-law is a Ford Tech and based on his advise as well as the shop foreman at my local dealer, the Trackey shouldn't be installed until you have completed the break in stage. I fully disagree with both prior post, and if you read your special instructions manual that came with your new car it states to break in your Boss by not driving at a constant RMP and not running open throttle until after the Boss has so many miles on it. I would reccomend calling the Ford Racing Tech line. I wouldn't take the chance with my Boss! Break it in right and you will have many years of problem free fun. I also have a 1996 GT convertible with 96,000 that I pruchased new and have only changed the clutch once and one alternator since purchased.

It worked well for my 1996 GT and I broke it in the same way as my 2012-Race Red Boss #889

Run the " " out of your car right out the box and you will reget it over time, unless you don't plan on keeping your car for the long run!

Matt said:
I attemped to relpy earlier today but for some reason it didn't post. My brother-in-law is a Ford Tech and based on his advise as well as the shop foreman at my local dealer, the Trackey shouldn't be installed until you have completed the break in stage. I fully disagree with both prior post, and if you read your special instructions manual that came with your new car it states to break in your Boss by not driving at a constant RMP and not running open throttle until after the Boss has so many miles on it. I would reccomend calling the Ford Racing Tech line. I wouldn't take the chance with my Boss! Break it in right and you will have many years of problem free fun. I also have a 1996 GT convertible with 96,000 that I pruchased new and have only changed the clutch once and one alternator since purchased.

It worked well for my 1996 GT and I broke it in the same way as my 2012-Race Red Boss #889

Run the " " out of your car right out the box and you will reget it over time, unless you don't plan on keeping your car for the long run!
I believe it states SUSTAINED wide open throttle not no wide open throttle. Sustained WOT as in tracking your Boss until it has 1,000 miles on it. ;) The engines are pretty well broken in from the factory.

Ford Racing didn't have an issue with it going on at 500 miles, but nobody should do anything they don't feel comfortable with. I have done it both ways and not seen much of a difference. Broke in a rebuilt motor at the track (bought the car with bent valves and not running, first time I even cranked it was when the mechanic dropped it off at the track) and have just been beating on that car street and track for years and it runs perfect. Broke in my Evo pretty hard, and had it inspected before I sold it and the drivetrain was perfect. IMO part of the reason they put such strict break ins on modern cars (and especially motorcycles) is to prevent people from looping them before they get used to the car.

Sorry if this was asked before but I couldn't find it anywhere. I've been hearing from a few places that any "engine breathing" modifications are not compatible with the trackey. This includes intake, headers, throttle body, etc. Does anyone know if this is true, and why?

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Nor-cal Boss said:
Sorry if this was asked before but I couldn't find it anywhere. I've been hearing from a few places that any "engine breathing" modifications are not compatible with the trackey. This includes intake, headers, throttle body, etc. Does anyone know if this is true, and why?

This is sort of a myth about what the ECU can and cannot adapt the fuel trim to. A tune is NOT required for mods that increase airflow into and out of the engine UNLESS the size of the mass air flow sample tube is increased. My Steeda CAI is one of many that do change the sample tube size so a tune was REQUIRED. That being said tunes do other things, some of which the track key program does as well, such as torque restriction at certain rpm throttle position, timing curve and total spark advance, speed governer, throttle position mapping and speed of opening. The ECU responds to signals from the MAF and Wideband O2 sensors to maintain optimal fuel air ratio and the knock sensors check for detonation to maintain best possible spark timing. This means a high flow air filter, larger throttle body, full tube headers and high flow exhaust will increase air flow and performance without a tune but may benefit more with an experienced canned tune or an actual car specific dyno tune done by someone that know what they are doing. IMHO of course.
Steve

Matt said:

Thanks Matt, but if it was going to hurt the Boss to have the Trackey installed early in it's life then why would a Ford Dealer install it?

The Dealer surely wouldn't do anything that would add to making Ford have to honor a warranty claim that could be prevented by not installing it. ???

I know of at least one Boss owned by one of the Boss team members that was broken in on track and had TK installed with only a couple hundred miles so I would take that as it's ok to do it. The car has zero street miles.

It's all about what your comfortable with.I don't have the patience to baby my car around for that long.I'm going to the 1/8 mile strip next sunday for a stock base line.It's gonna be on slicks and will be trying launches between 5-6K RPM's,that should test out the drive train pretty good.I will try to post a video up.Gonna run with and without trackey to see if there's any difference.

TMO Supporting Vendors