The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Washing and Waxing the Boss?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

98RedGT

2012 #552
I can only speak from experience on a 2012 Boss and Zaino does an amazing job (when not rushed and applied properly)

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
Here's the answer I got from Ford;

"Ok straight from the horse’s mouth.

Waxes, polishes and sealers may degrade the stripe overtime because these stripes are a matte finish. Testing has been conducted to support these conclusions.

However feel free to wax polish etc. the painted surfaces. To create a barrier between the stripe and the surface to be polished the use of drafting tape (can be found at arts and crafts stores) is recommended. Drafting tape is basically painters tape but with less aggressive adhesive (since the tape will be on the stripe portion rather than the paint).

Please feel free to share this information with the owners community as an official answer to your question from the Ford Motor Company"

Even with that said, I have to agree with with boss2511 who has used Zaino all over his 2012 stripes, that it's probably safe to use. The answer above is kind of answer you would expect from a manufacturer who can't possibly test the hundreds of products that are out there on the market. Whether there are some that have harmful chemicals or abrasives in them, I'm not sure. But the 'safe answer' is to not put anything on them and mask them off when you detail/wash your Boss.

The fact that Zaino has come out and said their product is OK to use on the stripes (and will actually protect them as it has UV protection) coupled with the fact that boss2511 has used it on his Boss with amazing results is good enough for me. I've used Zaino on my Marquis and it's a very good product, looking forward to putting on many many coats on the new Boss!

batman48195

I never get tired of driving it!
The 2012 stripes are glossy. I am more worried about the reflective qualities of the stripe being diminished. I bought Klasse car wax to do my car as the reviews were good and a lot less time to do it. I might try a little on the stripe behind he wheel to see, but will probably tape off the stripes.

Brian

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
batman48195 said:
The 2012 stripes are glossy. I am more worried about the reflective qualities of the stripe being diminished. I bought Klasse car wax to do my car as the reviews were good and a lot less time to do it. I might try a little on the stripe behind he wheel to see, but will probably tape off the stripes.

Brian
I put it on the matte vinyl on the back as well. still matte in the end just protected lol. Zaino is optical clear once dried so I dont think it will mess with the reflective property one bit.

Brian, Klasse is very good and the bottle does say its safe on the black plastic parts of a car. I've used it all over on my cars int he past (paint, plastic, glass) and its left no residue and looks great. If Zaino "works" Klasse should work as well.

Please let us know if you use it and the results to achieve.

ace72ace

batman48195 said:
Okay. Thanks boss2511. I also like your tag line of "Zaino, I put that $hit on everything" LOL

Brian

I am so ripping off that line...

Justin

batman48195 said:
Okay. Thanks boss2511. I also like your tag line of "Zaino, I put that $hit on everything" LOL

Brian
I got the idea from that sauce commercial with the old lady saying she puts that $HIT on everything lol

batman48195

I never get tired of driving it!
askjeffro said:
Brian, Klasse is very good and the bottle does say its safe on the black plastic parts of a car. I've used it all over on my cars int he past (paint, plastic, glass) and its left no residue and looks great. If Zaino "works" Klasse should work as well.

Please let us know if you use it and the results to achieve.
Jeff
I will let you know. I hope to wax it this weekend or next.
Brian

Well in the next few days I will have mine in and I will give a full report on how the stripes hold up and anything I notice. I still strongly believe there shouldn't be any treatment over the stripes.

Justin

ace72ace said:
BossFred said:
Zaino is over rated.

Ok Justin, you grab his left arm, I'll grab the right. On the count of 3 run! :D
lol but really everyone is entitled to there own opinion I used to be one of those guys that was always saying.....f zaino even though I had never tried it. You can get great results with just about anything.....how easy and how long those results are to get and keep is a different story. Its no myth that natural wax breaks down in about a month 2 max and you can layer wax but its not as easy. in the end unless you are washing your car with ajax and steel wool and trying to tell me its the best thing in the world I wont say much but I now hold my opinion on car care products unless I have tried them or know someone close to me that has.

I love zaino cause its very easy to apply and remove it doesnt require a 300 tool to apply it and it last a really long time and I think it makes great paint look amazing. Is it better than a wet sand and buff.....no but its close.

ace72ace

Hey, we're getting off track with this turtle wax crap, let's just stick to Zaino bashing or slobbering. :D So we have a ton of positive feedback and one 'meh'. Pretty good scorecard so far.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel