The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Where the Wild Things Are....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sesshomurai

BossJockey said:
That's going to be VERY loud. Do you still drive your Boss on the street?

Only to/from track but i will trailer it soon since it wont pass emissions after this.

aircare84 said:
Congrats. That is gonna be LOUD!

Understatement of the century.

Long tubes, no cats, and muffler deletes?

Odds are you end up buying an axle back muffler setup inside of a week.

But definitely post up some vids.

Sesshomurai

Rich_S said:
aircare84 said:

Dont forget side exhaust which lacks the resonators of the over axle. Guys in NASA AIX put roush-yates built nascar motors in with straight exhaust so its all good on the track. Dyno on monday. Will try to record it. Might have to close the side pipes until track time though.

Rich_S said:
aircare84 said:

I'll let you know in a few weeks. 1-7/8" LTs w/OR H, no side pipes, stock over the axle pipes with resonators and Corsa Extreme axle backs. We are going to use Swaintech coating on the headers to hopefully quiet them some.

Sesshomurai

cloud9 said:
Rich_S said:
aircare84 said:

I'll let you know in a few weeks. 1-7/8" LTs w/OR H, no side pipes, stock over the axle pipes with resonators and Corsa Extreme axle backs. We are going to use Swaintech coating on the headers to hopefully quiet them some.

Sweet. I put wrap on mine and my tuner said it was "old school". lol. I'm taking off work tomorrow and going by the shop to see if I can video the dyno run. As for loudness, I told them I would just put it in 6th gear and bog my way home at 2000 rpm to keep the noise down. ;D

They did have some fitment issues with the combination of kooks 1-7/8's, O/R hpipe linking to the stock over axles and my pype bombs. So the pype bombs stick out from the valence a bit farther than normal.
One interesting thing I didn't know, is that with the 1-7/8's headers, the steering column has to be removed as it installs _through_ the header pipes...

darreng505 said:
cloud9 said:
Rich_S said:
aircare84 said:

Sweet. I put wrap on mine and my tuner said it was "old school". lol. I'm taking off work tomorrow and going by the shop to see if I can video the dyno run. As for loudness, I told them I would just put it in 6th gear and bog my way home at 2000 rpm to keep the noise down. ;D

They did have some fitment issues with the combination of kooks 1-7/8's, O/R hpipe linking to the stock over axles and my pype bombs. So the pype bombs stick out from the valence a bit farther than normal.
One interesting thing I didn't know, is that with the 1-7/8's headers, the steering column has to be removed as it installs _through_ the header pipes...
Can you elaborate on the fitment issues? Do you have the Kooks H-pipe? Would the X pipe fit better or is it just the pype bomb axle backs. A friend of mine has the 1-3/4 Kooks LTs and o/r X with stock over the axle and the Corsa Extreme axle backs and didn't have any fitment issues. The way I understood it you just need the Kooks mid-pipe to connect to the headers but the rest of the 3" system should connect right up.

Sesshomurai

Where the O/R H-pipe sleeves into the stock over-axles, it butts up against the inner pipe on the over-axle before the two sleeve ends overlap fully, leaving a bit of length. But that can be by design. The tech had to hammer the stock overaxle into the H-pipe fitting, it wasn't smooth. After the over-axle was connected, it made the passenger side muffler (in my case a muffler delete) fitting point outward some. We were able to force it back to near center by tightening the spherical clamp we took off the GT500 muffs I had on, but it may still require relocating the pype bomb hanger after getting it centered and aligned out the back better. That could very well be just a pype bomb thing.

I'm not sure the over-axle pipes got shifted lengthwise in the equation, but I will double check.

Also, they had to buy a special tool to remove and replace the belts on the front of the motor because there is no tensioner. Also, they had to remove the CAI to get to the steering column apparatus and remove all that. Judging by the constant grimace on their faces, a real PITA. But hey, that's why I didn't do it! lol
And as I pointed out, the steering column goes through the header now.

I got under the car after the headers were on and everything was getting cinched together and it fits nice and tight in the end. It looks amazing with the shiny stainless steel and huge piping.

I was going to go with the kooks over-axles and mufflers, but the mufflers are welded so if you do that you'd have to cut them off to change them. I already had the pype bombs so I elected to keep my overaxles for now.

Sesshomurai

cloud9 said:
Thanks darren. I will pass on to my mechanic. I am pretty sure he's not looking forward to it. :)

Also, check your packaging when you get your shipment. My tech was told by the kooks guy there is supposed to be like a 10 page instruction guide, but only a 1 pager shipped with mine. Might be why he had trouble at first understanding what was involved. Will save some time to hunt that guide down before your tech starts.

Sesshomurai

Welp. Just found these to now replace my stock over-axles. These don't even have resonators...the sound just went from 10.....to 11....

http://www.lethalperformance.com/2012-2013-boss-mustang-302/exhaust/over-axle-pipes/jpc-racing-2011-mustang-gt-2-3-4-t304-s-s-over-axle-pipes.html

jpc-011overaxle.jpg

Sesshomurai

Here is a video/audio clip of one dyno pull. Doesn't do the sound justice....

Grab your earmuffs. You've been warned...
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IBFlDtxbK8[/youtube]

After a long dissertation about arcane tuner arts, my tuner said this setup is producing about 520-525hp at the flywheel and around 440-445 rwhp. I have a CD from the dyno and will try to dissect it further, but his dyno is a "superflow" and he said its unit of measure for HP differs from other dynos. Got me. lol

Sweet. So where do you have the rev limiter set?

YouTube app is there, it moved to the right hand side of the bar above the text box. I've used it a few times already. Hmm, well it worked before. I'll check into it.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=-IBFlDtxbK8[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IBFlDtxbK8&noredirect=1[/youtube]

Sesshomurai

It stayed the same at 7500. Peak power came in around 7000 rpm still.

Sesshomurai

loco pantelonez said:
Nice. How does it sound out on the road opposed to being in a dyno room?

It sounds....not street legal...going to have to look for those electric exhaust gate switches....

The shop guys said it sounds like a nascar hearing it from 2 blocks away....

I had to bog my way home in 5th/6th on the backroads to keep it down.

EDIT: Just bought this: http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/2012/06/20/new-product-mustang-boss-302-electric-exhaust-cutouts-from-quick-time-performance/

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel