The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Where's Waldo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

302 Hi Pro said:
CloudNiner:

This is pretty exciting and I'm even hopeful your new GT350 arrives at your Dealer in time for you to take delivery this week, or this weekend.

Looking forward to your post vehicle delivery reviews, thoughts and driving impressions of your new Shelby GT350.

To help keep you occupied until delivery, please tell me about "your" new vehicle break-in plan and/or procedures as I've seen a few different, (very different, I might add), opinions on this.

Also, and sorry if I've missed this in one of your other post, what Track wheel and tire setup have you decided upon?

I know you have a "No Mod" policy in effect, (Jacking Plates excluded), but do you have plans for any other Race Track Duty only Necessities? (RTDN's) Example: Brake fluid, Race pads, aero? Lastly, what are your thoughts on mileage parameters for the break-in period and expected mileage for your first engine oil and filter change?

Again, thanks so much for sharing.
All the Best,
Hi Pro
Good questions. I've always followed this guy's approach using the "street" method. Fortunately we have plenty of county highways near the Mexico border. It's not inconsistent with the owner's supplement language either. The key is to warm up the engine first, then run it up hard, but let off and let the engine braking bring it right back down versus holding it constant at a high RPM.

http://mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Here's the break-in procedure from the supplement:
Your vehicle requires a break-in period.
Drive your new vehicle at least 100 mi (160 km) before performing extended wide open throttle maneuvers and at least 1,000 mi (1,600 km) before performance or competition conditions.

Note: Vary your speed frequently in order
to give the moving parts a chance to break
in.

So my plan is to break it in according to the mototune process, but stay consistent with the supplement. I want to put 1,000 miles on it before track use.

We have a good thread on planned track mods started here: https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=10292.0

Also a good question on first oil change. I generally like to change it after that first 1,000 mile break-in period. I'll probably do that, but I'm also probably going to extend the number of track hours between changes more into the 8-12 hour range. Ford still calls for 3000-5000 under extreme use so I would be well within that.

When to expect the OIL CHANGE REQUIRED message
Interval Vehicle use and example
Normal
7,000–10,000 mi
(12,000–16,000 km)
Normal commuting with highway driving
Normal to moderate load
Flat to moderately hilly roads
No extended idling

Severe
5,000–7,000 mi
(8,000–11,999 km)
Moderate to heavy load
Mountainous conditions
Extended idling
Extended hot or cold operation

Extreme
3,000–5,000 mi
(4,800–7,999 km) Maximum load or track use
Extreme hot or cold operation

I'm glad to see it moving again. I'm still holding my breath that you get it by the weekend.

9501114_2.jpg

TMSBOSS said:
Cool.

Will the weather allow for some local driving as well as pictures?? ;D
Looks like 50s and sunny this weekend through Tuesday, so while not ideal it's good enough. Just hoping it makes it but dealer sounds iffy.

PhilTaylor

Track Attack 5-26-14
best wishes for arrival while weather still permits driving, so we can hear impressions.

and, I have to ask, are the gaps between locations 1-2, 6-7, 10-11, and 14-15 from being asleep? or was actual restraint found? :)

when I bought my C5 Z06 years ago I went through a similar exercise, just asking :)

PhilTaylor said:
best wishes for arrival while weather still permits driving, so we can hear impressions.

and, I have to ask, are the gaps between locations 1-2, 6-7, 10-11, and 14-15 from being asleep? or was actual restraint found? :)

when I bought my C5 Z06 years ago I went through a similar exercise, just asking :)
I'm guessing work got in the way :p It's a little amusing that I'm obsessing (not really) since I knew I wouldn't have the car for much driving this year, but since I sold the Boss before this one arrived it must be getting to me :D

I know the feeling of anticipation for a car to arrive! I actually located my Boss when it was already enroute to the dealer. It sat in the railroad delivery lot ten miles from the dealer for 10 long days before they finally put it on the truck, and it took TWO DAYS after that for it to show up at the dealer! I was praying the whole time that it wouldn't hail, which is a huge problem in CO in late spring/early summer. Luckily I work a mile from the dealer and the salesperson gave me a call when it arrived, so I have video of it being backed off of the truck.

coboss said:
I know the feeling of anticipation for a car to arrive! I actually located my Boss when it was already enroute to the dealer. It sat in the railroad delivery lot ten miles from the dealer for 10 long days before they finally put it on the truck, and it took TWO DAYS after that for it to show up at the dealer! I was praying the whole time that it wouldn't hail, which is a huge problem in CO in late spring/early summer. Luckily I work a mile from the dealer and the salesperson gave me a call when it arrived, so I have video of it being backed off of the truck.
I feel like I'm in a blackout period :)

Just found out my car is being shipped by Norfolk Southern and I called them to find out how to track online with no luck. I have to be a commercial user and register on the Norfolk Southern web site.

Bummer.

Face76 said:
Just found out my car is being shipped by Norfolk Southern and I called them to find out how to track online with no luck. I have to be a commercial user and register on the Norfolk Southern web site.

Bummer.
Did you try the 800#? I think it works for all the railroads. 800-235-2352

TMO Supporting Vendors