The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Where's Wally

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan
cloud9 said:
Anxiously awaiting your roll bar install so they finalize the instructions and send them to me so I can get started! :) Is the width much different than the Boss? I'm just curious about clearance to the fenders on the trailer.

Put a few more break in miles today, as the temps made a balmy 32* and no salt on the roads :eek:

Measured F/R outer Track width compared to Boss running 10.5"/11" width wheels with 305 square:

Front: 75 1/8" Boss 76 3/4" R
Rear: 74 1/2" Boss 77 3/4" R

Wow -- over 3" more at the back!

Black Boss said:
More dry, sunny weather. Up to 765 Break in miles. Continue to be impressed by the way the engine pulls from 3,500rpm up, and the brakes are spectacular 8)

Race seat install worked great -- can now sit a little lower in the car :)
You lucky dog, I'm living on the inside of a freezer. Residential streets are snow and ice covered and main roads full of salt.

Did you bed the brakes at all or just regular street driving? I felt like the bite wasn't as much as I'd like, but thought maybe they hadn't bed yet. I also didn't want to grenade on them until I seasoned the rotors a little more given I have less than 300 miles on it.

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan
cloud9 said:
Did you bed the brakes at all or just regular street driving? I felt like the bite wasn't as much as I'd like, but thought maybe they hadn't bed yet. I also didn't want to grenade on them until I seasoned the rotors a little more given I have less than 300 miles on it.

Started hitting the brakes a lot harder after 500 miles. I'm surprised how good they are as I doubt they are fully bedded -- low ambient temps. Bite is as good as the Race pads on the Boss, and brake feel/progression is better :)

Black Boss said:
Started hitting the brakes a lot harder after 500 miles. I'm surprised how good they are as I doubt they are fully bedded -- low ambient temps. Bite is as good as the Race pads on the Boss, and brake feel/progression is better :)
Nice 8) I'm anxious to really test them out. Do you plan to bed in a similar fashion to race pads before your first outing? I figured I would follow the same process as I do with the DTCs.

Black Boss said:
Thats very encouraging. I plan to bed mine the same way as race pads.

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan
cloud9 said:
Nice 8) I'm anxious to really test them out. Do you plan to bed in a similar fashion to race pads before your first outing? I figured I would follow the same process as I do with the DTCs.

Yes will go thru the same bedding process before tracking. Will be interesting to see how they perform with heat in them with sticky tires ;)

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
This product works very nicely and is nice when lap over welding parts. Keeps undersides of parts painted for rust protection where the grinder was used to clean off paint.

This comes in black as well.

http://www.eastwood.com/ew-self-etching-weld-thru-primer-16-oz-aero.html?fee=7&fep=25889&SRCCODE=GA220010&adpos=1o1&creative=83580265620&device=t&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CjwKEAiAzuK0BRCW4tiLpJT-8TISJADV8cw9QLHd5vd1d0uWUP8rOVASMPZDU9a0FrTEAWTwAKB_shoCm_Pw_wcB

302 HP.

Just food for thought.

You may want to think about welding another rod going form front to back to stiffen the sub belt rod you just weled in. this will help prevent any bowing in that 1/2" rod durning impact. We where our belts so durning impact we dont move to prevent injury. That 1/2" rod as stout as it seems will bend given enough impact. Thats why fabicators try to tringleate all of there stress points. It spreads the load out durning impact.
You can also state that movement is good as it will asorbe schock.

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan
superhero said:
Just food for thought.

You may want to think about welding another rod going form front to back to stiffen the sub belt rod you just weled in. this will help prevent any bowing in that 1/2" rod durning impact. We where our belts so durning impact we dont move to prevent injury. That 1/2" rod as stout as it seems will bend given enough impact. Thats why fabicators try to tringleate all of there stress points. It spreads the load out durning impact.
You can also state that movement is good as it will asorbe schock.

Yea, I thought about that, but for the bar to bend significantly it would have to also twist the seat mount at the points marked with red X's. Also most of the load is vertical -- the Schroth guideline is that the sub mounts be 20* from vertical, and a second front/rear rod wouldn't help much with mainly vertical loading.

I was originally going to mount the sub belts to eye bolts at the 2 holes on the rear seat mount bar but that would have made them almost horizontal versus the 20* to vertical Schroth guideline.

4834488c-0377-40ba-9341-d43593cecf2f_zpsodxic9on.jpg

Black Boss said:
Installed an AIM Solo DL today -- takes vehicle data from the OBDII port -- quick install:

IMG_2069_zpsqz11cbk8.jpg

Also went to install some fuse taps for Coolshirt/GPS power, only to find the S550 uses Micro 2 & 3 fuses rather than the Mini blades in the S197:

IMG_2085_zpsxbtvaggs.jpg

any more pics showing how that Solo mounts?

TMO Supporting Vendors