The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Where's Wally

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nice price if they work well on track. Who makes the pads?

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Don't know for sure, but with "Contents made in Italy", I'm thinking Brembo might make them.

Excellent pricing for Race pads, and it will be interesting to see the base line results.

302 Hi Pro

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan
VooDooBOSS said:
Nice price if they work well on track. Who makes the pads?

Based on the Track tour and in discussions with the Ford Performance guys, I think these pads will be fine for Track use. Pads are sourced from Brembo (inner packaging on rears has Brembo label). Friction material for both Front and Rear is Ferodo 4446/2FF. Both front and rear have what appear to be integral heat shields, and both have wear indicators.

The fronts are Huge compared to the Boss. Will post photo later......

Black Boss said:
Based on the Track tour and in discussions with the Ford Performance guys, I think these pads will be fine for Track use. Pads are sourced from Brembo (inner packaging on rears has Brembo label). Friction material for both Front and Rear is Ferodo 4446/2FF. Both front and rear have what appear to be integral heat shields, and both have wear indicators.

The fronts are Huge compared to the Boss. Will post photo later......
That's great to hear as I'd love to run as much "stock" as possible on this car. They really do seem to have built it as a track car from the ground up. I think it was in the supplement that it said you may notice some squealing at low speeds. That's a good indication that they are a track pad.

That is awesome! That's actually the item I'm most excited about with the GT350.....the BIG BRAKES. It will be a huge deal at my favorite track Road America. The pad thickness is concerning so the fact that they're so cheap is a big bonus. I was going through a full set of front Hawk DTC70s PER DAY at RA. Hopefully with the larger swept area on both front and back, we'll get better longevity given the weight of the car is close. That being said, all it really means is I'll break later and deeper so may end up with similar wear characteristics.

Does the anti-squeal lube go on the pad material? Wouldn't it just wear off right away? Maybe it's something you'd only use on a street driven car?

mattlqx

Mustangless
cloud9 said:
Does the anti-squeal lube go on the pad material? Wouldn't it just wear off right away? Maybe it's something you'd only use on a street driven car?

Oh dear, no. Then you'll never stop. It's for the backing of the pad to deaden vibration between the plate and the pistons.

mattlqx said:
Oh dear, no. Then you'll never stop. It's for the backing of the pad to deaden vibration between the plate and the pistons.
LOL I figured as much. I've never bothered to use it and just live with the squeal once you wear the bed in material off the rotors driving around the street. I usually bed them and am back on track before they get that clean anyway.

VooDooBOSS said:
I'm still leaning to the skeptical side on the brake pads until proven otherwise. ::)
Fortunately Black Boss will figure it out before I have to order backups :) Realistically I'm not sure what other options I have at this point anyway as I haven't seen any other options offered for our cars as of yet.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
The pic comparing the new Brembo 6 piston caliper pads to the Boss Brembo 4 piston caliper pads is impressive. I think you have a good plan to establish the OEM brake pad wear baseline under race conditions.

As for alternative Aftermarket pads for the GT350, I suspect the Brembos will have ample choices available in pretty short order. And who knows, the OEM pads might turn out to be the pad of choice, wouldn't that be something?

What brake fluid is spec'ed for the TP cars? Is it 600 plus degree Dot 4 fluid? Is there any difference between say the TP cars and non TP optioned cars? Any difference in brake fluid spec for the R optioned cars?

Gosh, back in the day, I remember being happy about the fact that Ford spec'ed Brembos for the front brakes on my 2012 Boss 302 (500A)! This is a fine example of "The Spirit of Competition" as defined by Dr. Fredrick Simeone.

As performance minded sports car enthusiast, you have to love this very special moment in time for Detroit automotive performance excellence.

Enjoy it!
Dave, 302 HP

302 Hi Pro said:
The pic comparing the new Brembo 6 piston caliper pads to the Boss Brembo 4 piston caliper pads is impressive. I think you have a good plan to establish the OEM brake pad wear baseline under race conditions.

As for alternative Aftermarket pads for the GT350, I suspect the Brembos will have ample choices available in pretty short order. And who knows, the OEM pads might turn out to be the pad of choice, wouldn't that be something?

What brake fluid is spec'ed for the TP cars? Is it 600 plus degree Dot 4 fluid? Is there any difference between say the TP cars and non TP optioned cars? Any difference in brake fluid spec for the R optioned cars?

Gosh, back in the day, I remember being happy about the fact that Ford spec'ed Brembos for the front brakes on my 2012 Boss 302 (500A)! This is a fine example of "The Spirit of Competition" as defined by Dr. Fredrick Simeone.

As performance minded sports car enthusiast, you have to love this very special moment in time for Detroit automotive performance excellence.

Enjoy it!
Dave, 302 HP
Brake fluid - Motorcraft DOT 4 LV High Performance Motor Vehicle Brake Fluid PM-20/WSS-M6C65-A2

The new brakes look awesome and worked well during my three laps at Laguna Seca. All GT350's come stock with DOT 4 fluid. The engineer I bugged the crap out of at the Historic Races told me the cars are ready to go right off the showroom floor and to literally drive them on track with no modifications and that included the brake fluid and pads.

I just found this info and table. I've been using Motul 600 and will continue to do so.

http://www.readautomotive.com/2015/03/brake-fluid-comparison-table.html

Shot%202015-12-20%20at%2010.16.26%20AM_zpsx23m7ta6.png

TMO Supporting Vendors