The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Where's Wally

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

8250RPM said:
Man I'm sorry, I just noticed I made a off subject post on your thread Nick. I apologize, can someone tell me how to remove it please.
You're fine but just use "remove" to delete any post you make.

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan
VoodooBOSS said:
Nice. Do you have a link to that socket? Is there room to actually use it? ::)

I believe there is room. I used this to remove the old filter and initially torque the new one:

http://www.amazon.com/Neiko%C2%AE-03421A-Adjustable-Filter-Adapter/dp/B000UD0CTQ/ref=sr_1_14?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1456802542&sr=1-14,

But it required a lot of patience and I didn't fully torque as it was starting to cut into the filter body. Will confirm access and post link after I finish torquing, tomorrow.

The cap style filter socket usually ends up rounding the bottom of the filter when too much torque is applied. Hopefully, the one you have is a tight fit and wont slip, rounding the bottom.

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan
VoodooBOSS said:
Nice. Do you have a link to that socket? Is there room to actually use it? ::)

Here's a link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018NMV7X0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

There is a lot of space for the socket, but you'll need a torque wrench with a reasonably fine ratchet.

F.D. Sako said:
The cap style filter socket usually ends up rounding the bottom of the filter when too much torque is applied. Hopefully, the one you have is a tight fit and wont slip, rounding the bottom.

And it's a good fit -- no issue with rounding.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Black Boss said:
Here's a link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018NMV7X0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

There is a lot of space for the socket, but you'll need a torque wrench with a reasonably fine ratchet.

And it's a good fit -- no issue with rounding.

@mattlqx

Black Boss said:
Yes. Nice and light and not expensive as the carbon helmets.

Meanwhile, loaded the car for it's first shakedown at the track this weekend :)

Agreed. I use an si12 too and like it. I just bought a Stilo ST5 last week so that my son can use the si12 as I start to get him out on track.

Have a great time this weekend. I'm headed out for my first track day with the R this coming thursday.

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan
Just finished working on the car after my first track day in the 350. Ran the North course at VIR for the first time. More than half the lap is common with the full course that I've run in the Boss. Back to back comparison will be easier after tomorrow on the full course.

Will provide more info after tomorrow's session. Three headlines from today: 1) It's fast and easier to drive fast than the Boss. 2) It get's lot's of attention -- lost count of the number of visitors to the garage. 3) Stock pads generate lot's of dust and only lasted 1 day.

More to come....

Thanks for the headlines Nick. I'm sure glad we have you out there paving the way. I love to hear how it's easier to drive fast. Not crazy about burning up front pads that quick but also not surprised. How would you say VIR compares to RA? I went through a full set of front DTC70s per day at RA in the Boss but they were much more aggressive than what we have on the GT350.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
cloud9 said:
Thanks for the headlines Nick. I'm sure glad we have you out there paving the way. I love to hear how it's easier to drive fast. Not crazy about burning up front pads that quick but also not surprised. How would you say VIR compares to RA? I went through a full set of front DTC70s per day at RA in the Boss but they were much more aggressive than what we have on the GT350.
Gary
I would say RA is a little tougher on brakes than VIR but similar, only 2 really heavy braking zones at VIR vs 3 at RA. You will need race pads or about 5 sets of OEM pads for a week end at RA, you seem to be the hardest on brakes out of all of us, that's also why you are the quickest 8) The S55o chassis is heavier than our S197s probably by 100 lbs for the 350s and 150 lbs for my GT. I think Nick posted his scale weights. Can't wait to see Nick running sub 2:05 laps at VIR.
Steve

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel