The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Where's Wally

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Race another day!

I agree with the no-no about posting pictures...I will say that one positive came from it.

Seeing the car and knowing how you prepped it in name of safety makes me realize what these cars are capable of and that despite their track-worthy speed, they are not complete. It's in our hands to finish the job that Ford started and install the safety equipment that they (we) deserve.

I'll be installing a cage and hans, at least, before I hit the track. You've demonstrated how being correctly prepared can save your life and I thank you for that.
Glad to see you're OK!

stanglife said:
Race another day!

I agree with the no-no about posting pictures...I will say that one positive came from it.

Seeing the car and knowing how you prepped it in name of safety makes me realize what these cars are capable of and that despite their track-worthy speed, they are not complete. It's in our hands to finish the job that Ford started and install the safety equipment that they (we) deserve.

I'll be installing a cage and hans, at least, before I hit the track. You've demonstrated how being correctly prepared can save your life and I thank you for that.
Glad to see you're OK!

First off - relieved that you walked away. Second - seeing the picture has also got me thinking hard about investing in more safety gear for my GT350 when it shows up. It was a sobering reminder of what can happen - the extra couple of grand for proper safety equipment is but a drop in the bucket.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Guys
Unless you have been part of something like this you don't realize how fragile we are and what the real priorities are. I was 10 seconds behind Nick on track (of course) and as we came around the turn I saw the marshals waving the yellows furiously. I then saw a black shape sitting on the grass, then finally saw the red 58 on the crumpled door. At that moment my stomach dropped and I slowed to a crawl looking for signs that Nick was OK. With the air bag curtains deployed, and knowing that I had 2012-Boss and the rest of the field behind me, plus needing to clear the area for emergency vehicles I drove on, not knowing the fate of a good friend. We drove quickly back to the pits and Steve and I jumped in my truck, trying to find out where the ambulance was going to bring Nick, the Medical Station was closed, the guys at registration did not know anything, and when we drove to the backside of the track, the corner worker would not or could not give us any info. I started to worry and Steve suggested we see what Hospital was closest, while he was Googling, I drove back to the paddock to check if Nick came back and to make sure Nick's trailer was secured. It was then I saw the familiar Black helmet, race suit and shoes in the trailer. I was relieved but confused, did he have another set of gear that he alternated? I actually felt the inside of the helmet to see if was wet from perspiration, it was and then checked the strap to see if it was cut, it wasn't.
Just then Steve walked over to his garage and saw the guys he was paddocking with, Nick was fine and came back to change and go see what could be done with the car. Steve and I were relieved and jumped in the truck to see what we could do to help with the car. At that moment it was the first time we even talked about the car or if it could be fixed etc. It just didn't matter until we knew our friend was OK.

Getting to the car and seeing Nick was awesome, he is a true racer, his attitude was resolute and positive even in the face of this bad incident and financial loss. The story of what we did to rescue the car from where it was is another long tale that I will let Nick decide to tell. But this was also a great example of racers coming together to help a comrade in need.

So to summarize, please get safety gear appropriate to the level of driving you are doing.
Novices can get away with the basics, good full face helmet, DOT 4 fluid, decent race level pads and a thorough pre event inspection of the car and tires.
Intermediates should get at a minimum a Clip in type harness and a HANS or Simpson girdle type HANS along with the basics.
High Inter and Advance/Instructor level drivers should have a Roll bar or cage, 6 point harnesses,HANS, NOMEX suit and gloves (have to wear mine), Nomex shoes, full race pads, and do a more thorough nut and bolt check of the suspension, brake and driveline systems. A fire system and electrical cut off switches are also nice options to think about. This accident was a real wake up for me, I have seen many incidents at the track and even incidents where friends were involved, but this was the first that I saw that I really wasn't sure if a good friend was going to walk away. But like true racers, Steve and I buckled up on Saturday and ran a full day on track, both bettering our best lap times by over a second from the previous day. We had both also put fresh brake pads on and checked over the cars a little more than usual that morning.

Steve

voodoo child21 said:
Guys
Unless you have been part of something like this you don't realize how fragile we are and what the real priorities are. I was 10 seconds behind Nick on track (of course) and as we came around the turn I saw the marshals waving the yellows furiously. I then saw a black shape sitting on the grass, then finally saw the red 58 on the crumpled door. At that moment my stomach dropped and I slowed to a crawl looking for signs that Nick was OK. With the air bag curtains deployed, and knowing that I had 2012-Boss and the rest of the field behind me, plus needing to clear the area for emergency vehicles I drove on, not knowing the fate of a good friend. We drove quickly back to the pits and Steve and I jumped in my truck, trying to find out where the ambulance was going to bring Nick, the Medical Station was closed, the guys at registration did not know anything, and when we drove to the backside of the track, the corner worker would not or could not give us any info. I started to worry and Steve suggested we see what Hospital was closest, while he was Googling, I drove back to the paddock to check if Nick came back and to make sure Nick's trailer was secured. It was then I saw the familiar Black helmet, race suit and shoes in the trailer. I was relieved but confused, did he have another set of gear that he alternated? I actually felt the inside of the helmet to see if was wet from perspiration, it was and then checked the strap to see if it was cut, it wasn't.
Just then Steve walked over to his garage and saw the guys he was paddocking with, Nick was fine and came back to change and go see what could be done with the car. Steve and I were relieved and jumped in the truck to see what we could do to help with the car. At that moment it was the first time we even talked about the car or if it could be fixed etc. It just didn't matter until we knew our friend was OK.

Getting to the car and seeing Nick was awesome, he is a true racer, his attitude was resolute and positive even in the face of this bad incident and financial loss. The story of what we did to rescue the car from where it was is another long tale that I will let Nick decide to tell. But this was also a great example of racers coming together to help a comrade in need.

So to summarize, please get safety gear appropriate to the level of driving you are doing.
Novices can get away with the basics, good full face helmet, DOT 4 fluid, decent race level pads and a thorough pre event inspection of the car and tires.
Intermediates should get at a minimum a Clip in type harness and a HANS or Simpson girdle type HANS along with the basics.
High Inter and Advance/Instructor level drivers should have a Roll bar or cage, 6 point harnesses,HANS, NOMEX suit and gloves (have to wear mine), Nomex shoes, full race pads, and do a more thorough nut and bolt check of the suspension, brake and driveline systems. A fire system and electrical cut off switches are also nice options to think about. This accident was a real wake up for me, I have seen many incidents at the track and even incidents where friends were involved, but this was the first that I saw that I really wasn't sure if a good friend was going to walk away. But like true racers, Steve and I buckled up on Saturday and ran a full day on track, both bettering our best lap times by over a second from the previous day. We had both also put fresh brake pads on and checked over the cars a little more than usual that morning.

Steve
Made me feel good to know you were at the track with him Steve. I have seen you be a hero to everyone when something goes awry.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Very happy to know the only damage was to the car and wallet!!!!! Both are replaceable.

I started with few safety mods. So glad I got over that!!! Roll Bar, Fire Extinguisher, Helmet, HANS, suit, shoes and gloves stay in my trailer and I wear them each session.

I have jumped out of air planes with explosives strapped to my backside in the middle of the night just for training no less. I did so with full knowledge of the risks and the safety precautions taken to reduce person risk to the soldier. I would not leave behind a piece of safety gear then or now. We Buried a Warrant office who left behind his flotation devices one night, his call. After all we was a combat diver and did not worry about the small river near the DZ. Bad call, paid with his life.

I know there are guys and gals who just know they will not get hurt....ever. I try to stay away from them. They tend to take others with them.

Again. Glad all were able to walk away. If you have not done so already, take Steves advice. Invest IN YOURSELF, buy the safety gear.

just hearing of this...very glad you're ok, Nick.

I was in your shoes 6 years ago...can't believe I walked away with nothing more than a severely-bruised ego. Had I not had safety setup I had (seat, 6pt, HANS, firesuit, etc)...I'm sure things would have been very different in my life after that wreck.

Best wishes to you in getting things sorted and putting this behind you.

Everytime I check this thread, I anticipate a new video breaking your boss records or awesome pics. I was not expecting this at all! :-\

As everyone mentioned, I'm really glad you're ok and were able to walk away. I know it can be tough to process things after an accident, but it really helps when you have friends like Steve, and Steve, at the track that are ready to support you in any way.

I wish you a quick recovery. Best of luck, Nick!

Glad you are OK. As someone who has left the track in the meat wagon I can fully understand what you are going through

Bay Area
byronj said:
Glad to hear you are OK. Hope you can get the car repaired and back out there. Take care..

I saw your car. I rescind getting it repaired and back out there. Sorry to hear about everything and although we don't know each other I am glad you survived and didn't get hurt too badly.

Nick,

I've never got to meet you, but know you from the forum and have admired your very impressive lap times. I was at the event and heard of a heavy impact involving a GT-350R, just never knew it was you until Sunday when another forum member mentioned it. I did meet both Steve's at the event and I'm glad they were around to help in whatever way they could. Really glad to hear you were able to walk away. Wish you the best going forward.

Hermes

drano38

Wayne
Glad you're OK Nick. But sorry to hear about your GT350R.
Glad others like Steve stepped up and helped where they could.

Glad to hear your fine Nick, I saw the image and I thought it was your car but I was hoping that wasnt the case sir.

Never the less a car can be replaced your health is the biggest priority.

TMO Supporting Vendors