The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Building a 2020 10 spd. Ecoboost for racing. Inputs?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

That is what I'm thinking! On my GT this heavy pig is killing my rules limited 295 tires. I'm running (rules limited front bar) 600front 750 rear rates on coil over and I keep cranking up the negative camber but this heavy car is rolling over and killing front tires.

the kit I got from Vorschlag wag originally for a V8 car, it had the same spring rates as you. I just bought 500front and 650 rear and I’ll stiffen up the sway bars a little. We’ll see what it does...

Yeah Ford Performance sells a plug for the oil port. I'm hoping it's going to help with giving the rest of the engine a little bit more oil pressure as well, I did not feel like changing the oil pump so this is my excuse! not that the engine runs out of pressure but it's always good to have a little more for racing. The removal also allows for one more quart of oil which should help with temperature management.

I wasn’t watching closely for higher oil pressure but didn’t notice anything particularly. That said 5w50 definitely helped my hot oil pressures. If you’re not already running it, worth looking into.

sfo
the kit I got from Vorschlag wag originally for a V8 car, it had the same spring rates as you. I just bought 500front and 650 rear and I’ll stiffen up the sway bars a little. We’ll see what it does...

i have the same Vorschlag kit you have. Why did you drop down on rates? Did you not add aero? Don’t you need more rate with aero? Also get the bigger offset lower shock mounts. You will rip cv joint boots over 150mph. Changing boots is real pain! Don’t let it happen to you.

sfo
Vorschlag qc not great. If you get greater offset offset mounts the slots not milled for full m10 bolt just full thread m10 bolt. If you need the right length nuts and bolts I have extra in 10.9 M10s properly shanked.
the bottom offset mount was not offset enough. I hope the new top one with bigger offset works.20201212_134901.jpg

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I would contact Vorshlag, as we used them at our Motorsports Division ( Woodhouse Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram ) with virtually no problems at all , but they are very responsive. No concerns with my set -up, my son's or numerous friends, but they are a Sponsor on here, comment at length various times on set-up and R&D, and I actually believe your concern will be received and noted. They do use some outside suppliers like many shops, so who knows , they may have gotten the wrong size bolts in a shipment. Not saying that is the case , but do call, they have always been helpful to me and anyone I sent there.

Happy Holidays

sfo
, they may have gotten the wrong size bolts in a shipment. Not saying that is the case , but do call, they have always been helpful to me and anyone I sent there.

Happy Holidays

Vorschlag customer service is good and fast. They instantly knew my problem and sent bigger offset mounts. Reading their old S550 development thread they talk about the need for offset mounts because at high rpm cv boots grow and rub on springs and get burned open and spray grease. When I got my kit it had offset mounts. Mine were not offset enough so they sent me bigger offset mounts. That is all I know about mount 2.0. I hope this works.

The stock bolts though the mounts and mustang fit the old full thread mustang hardware is right at the limit of the bolt length. A proper nut and bolt will have some thread showing after full assembly. When you buy bolts they come shanked and full thread. An M10 hole is a specific M10 size to fit any M10 bolt shanked or threaded. All it takes is a file to broach out the slot so the shanked M10 bolt can pass through mount 2.0. they fit fine on mount 1.0. I mention this because it is much easier to broach out the mount 2.0 on the bench before you assemble on shock and before you put shock on car trying to figure out why your M10 bolts do not go through.

Presumably if the big offset mount works and Chuck has them he will have saved a couple hours of shop time and the cost of new cv boots and the "WTF?? time" of fiting M10 shanked bolts through mount 2.0 when on the car where you can't see. None of this is a big deal. It is just helpful for each other to streamline the development of our builds. Our cars are one huge beta test. Anything we can take the beta-ness out of is more time on the racetrack.

Kind of an aside here, but does anyone make a grade 8 metric bolt? For years they weren't available and SAE hardware had to be substituted because of the quality. If you have a source, I'd be interested in knowing it.
It's kind of funny but the IMSA rulebook calls out immediately "hardware is non spec except where noted".. lol

sfo
There is no grade 8 metric. Grade X is an SAE designation. You can buy metric in 8.8, 10.9 and 12. SAE grade 8 is about metric 10.9. There are grade designations lower than 8 and 8.8 but we ignore them as the non-critical fastener bolts.

i have the same Vorschlag kit you have. Why did you drop down on rates? Did you not add aero? Don’t you need more rate with aero? Also get the bigger offset lower shock mounts. You will rip cv joint boots over 150mph. Changing boots is real pain! Don’t let it happen to you.

I want to try different setups, I generally like a softer car with well controlled roll. I have yet to get the 4 way shocks to be able to adjust the high speed damping. I want to be able to take advantage of the whole track and it sometimes means going over speed bumps, which super stiff setups generally dont like. We'll see if it works out... i'm trying to get as much data as possible, but I have to go by elimination. That being said, I also just had a feeling the car was overly stiff making it hard to use the weight transfer to my advantage, but that could just be me not being used to that car.

Vorschlag qc not great. If you get greater offset offset mounts the slots not milled for full m10 bolt just full thread m10 bolt. If you need the right length nuts and bolts I have extra in 10.9 M10s properly shanked.
the bottom offset mount was not offset enough. I hope the new top one with bigger offset works.

So I do have the offset ones, but I think it's the first gen offset, like 2 years ago. I must admit, it's DAMN close to the cv joint, like too close for comfort, I trusted the guys at vorschlag on this one, but my basic physics understanding made me wonder how a super fast turning booth would not expand by at least a few mm...

SO I just received the steering and the quick release.

the steering is great so far, Love the shape (OMP Kubic), a little thicker grip would have been good, but it's all right. i'll have to figure out how I weld the quick release to the column while keeping the clock spring and how to mount the shift paddles to the steering.

I have issues though with the quick disconnect. In the first picture, you see the connection between the steering and the welded part which is fine, but on the second picture you see the front of the steering and on the third is the back of the welded part too the column. I was expecting to have connector for these 2 sides with wires coming out, like what you see in the 4th picture ( I know its not the same connector, but that's the way it should be IMO) or at least another connector to connect with wires coming out like 5th picture.

OMP uses Fischer connectors, and their answer is that I have to buy the other connectors myself since welding to these connectors is pretty much impossible for normal people. SO basically I paid Like $200 extra for one Fischer connection that I could have just bought myself; this is pretty ridiculous. And now I need to make sure to order the right connector from a Fischer distributor which looks to be quite complicated. I was expecting much better built package than that. aarrghhhh. Someone here knows somebody at OMP?

This video gives you an example of what you’re in for if you want to make your own connector, you need special equipment etc, and you need to make 2 lol!

connect.jpg

btwrwve.jpg

qvervcev.jpg

3419-026.jpeg

QRE1-B-KT-8 copy.png

kfniojv.jpg

welcome to the hot rodding world, that connection looks scary fragile for something that is going to be taken on and off

No sh*t hot rod world! But IMO when you pay almost $600 for a quick release you expect to have all the parts with limited hot-rodding needed!

To be fair, the Fischer connector is top notch, it's swiss army grade connection stuff tested for over 10,000 cycles, and the way the blade quick release is made, you can't get it crooked.

Looks great. For $400 yes please post up the parts list!

Perfect, i’ll do that asap!

in the mean time,I notched a little metal lip on the subframe to give the top hose a little extra clearance, and some peace of mind. The diff is not mounted 100% solid so there is still a little bit of movement. It gave me a good 1/2 - 3/4 inch clearance.

536A97C7-EFE6-4F40-A857-AA57BF0EC3F0.jpeg

8938C56A-530B-4C4F-82FE-FD1504DD4DC5.jpeg

TMO Supporting Vendors