The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Clutch assist spring good or bad open thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I had my dealer instal the clutch line they gave me a deal, I guess since they were going to bleed the clutch anyway. I removed my clutch assist spring and went to this clutch line and I will say it is soo much better, when I say the clutch is easier to push I mean you can tell the line flows better from the larger openings so yes it is the same to hold down but much better while pushing it. dealer charged me $80 bucks. I think that was pretty good being it is an easy job. The car now feels great it is nice to have a clutch the way it should have come from the start. I got on it for a bit today and was very impressed. I know this has been a long bunch of back and fourth threads, I wish I could erase them all and just do a simple posting saying ''listen if you buy one of these cars and drive it hard at all youll need to replace the shifter system, clutch line, remove the clutch assist spring, bleed the entire brake/clutch system, unplug the skip shift, buy the track key, buy the brake cooling kit'', and hang the hell on cause it then is one hell of a car. If not good luck getting the car to work right and enjoy your missed shifts::)

jeepinocala said:
I had my dealer instal the clutch line they gave me a deal, I guess since they were going to bleed the clutch anyway. I removed my clutch assist spring and went to this clutch line and I will say it is soo much better, when I say the clutch is easier to push I mean you can tell the line flows better from the larger openings so yes it is the same to hold down but much better while pushing it. dealer charged me $80 bucks. I think that was pretty good being it is an easy job. The car now feels great it is nice to have a clutch the way it should have come from the start. I got on it for a bit today and was very impressed. I know this has been a long bunch of back and fourth threads, I wish I could erase them all and just do a simple posting saying ''listen if you buy one of these cars and drive it hard at all youll need to replace the shifter system, clutch line, remove the clutch assist spring, bleed the entire brake/clutch system, unplug the skip shift, buy the track key, buy the brake cooling kit'', and hang the hell on cause it then is one hell of a car. If not good luck getting the car to work right and enjoy your missed shifts::)
You forgot to add SS brake lines. :D

Dvendet

Everyone's entitled to my opinion. ;)
jeepinocala said:
Wow Jeep - that was quite an assay you gave the forum. I am certainly happy for you. Now somebody here will now have to come up with something else you can install/remove on your buggy. Hummm....let me think....

MMD

Wow Jeep - that was quite an assay you gave the forum. I am certainly happy for you. Now somebody here will now have to come up with something else you can install/remove on your buggy. Hummm....let me think....

MMD

[/quote]

First off this is a forum I just got off from working from 6am till 7:30 so I really can care less of how I write something up and second what is so wrong with sharing an opinion? My buggy your a funny kid ;D

You forgot to add SS brake lines. :D
[/quote]

have you noticed a difference with the lines? I had the impression that the stock lines were ok for a start?

Dvendet

jeepinocala said:

MMD

First off this is a forum I just got off from working from 6am till 7:30 so I really can care less of how I write something up and second what is so wrong with sharing an opinion? My buggy your a funny kid ;D
[/quote]
Sorry Jeep. You misunderstood. I was complimenting you and all you did to highlight quite a few issues of interest to many forum members. Also, I am sure you work long and hard. You're not the only one.

MMD

Oh, oops been a long day ;D I now have my wife driveing me crazy she has a 2011 f150 decked out but no touch screen and the sink is more of sunk as for connecting to her phone. Well when she dropped me off to get my Boss she looked inside and seen the whole nine yards that she wants so now I guess it is truck hunting for me. Going to be some mixed drinks this weekend ;D

Dvendet

jeepinocala said:
Oh, oops been a long day ;D I now have my wife driveing me crazy she has a 2011 f150 decked out but no touch screen and the sink is more of sunk as for connecting to her phone. Well when she dropped me off to get my Boss she looked inside and seen the whole nine yards that she wants so now I guess it is truck hunting for me. Going to be some mixed drinks this weekend ;D
I think some of us would say that this Bud's for you! Time to unwind and put a few brews down the pie hole. :)

MMD

I've been fighting the spring for 2 hours now, I can not get the top pin to move at all. I tried using hard points to apply force, tried zip tieing the spring then holding the pedal down, tried pulling from the big end. Nothing. I saw a post on another forum that said it has to be turned to slide out, I can't get it to turn and even if it did I don't know what direction to align it to come out.

Anyone who has done this have any suggestions?

Yeah so I found the solution, and it is a 30 second removal now... I used a vice grip needle nose to collapse the spring while the pedal was all the way down, then just pushed with my finger on the top housing and it popped right out from under the perch. The perch does not have a hole in it, it just holds on by spring force into a groove. So it falls out with no force pushing on it... kind of like what happens when you jump a lowered car without safety wiring the springs. The needle nose was a bit of a pita to get a grip, but they make one with flat panels instead of teeth that would work perfect as I have used it on various other springs in the past. Mine seems to have grown feet, I will have to check my employees' toolboxes.

Here is a pic of the spring being grabbed, once I got an angle where the needlenose fit as I said I just touched the top assembly and it fell off. Please pass this on to other forums, I joined the one with the how-to so I could post it in there but I am not on any Mustang forums other than this one.

IMG-20120812-00619.jpg

Ignore the zip ties, they do not have enough strength to hold the spring down. Not even close.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
CaliMR said:
I've been fighting the spring for 2 hours now, I can not get the top pin to move at all. I tried using hard points to apply force, tried zip tieing the spring then holding the pedal down, tried pulling from the big end. Nothing. I saw a post on another forum that said it has to be turned to slide out, I can't get it to turn and even if it did I don't know what direction to align it to come out.

Anyone who has done this have any suggestions?

Yeah so I found the solution, and it is a 30 second removal now... I used a vice grip needle nose to collapse the spring while the pedal was all the way down, then just pushed with my finger on the top housing and it popped right out from under the perch. The perch does not have a hole in it, it just holds on by spring force into a groove. So it falls out with no force pushing on it... kind of like what happens when you jump a lowered car without safety wiring the springs. The needle nose was a bit of a pita to get a grip, but they make one with flat panels instead of teeth that would work perfect as I have used it on various other springs in the past. Mine seems to have grown feet, I will have to check my employees' toolboxes.

Here is a pic of the spring being grabbed, once I got an angle where the needlenose fit as I said I just touched the top assembly and it fell off. Please pass this on to other forums, I joined the one with the how-to so I could post it in there but I am not on any Mustang forums other than this one.

IMG-20120812-00619.jpg

Ignore the zip ties, they do not have enough strength to hold the spring down. Not even close.
Awesome!!!! I will give this a try right away. did you leave the perches in place or remove them after?

5 DOT 0 said:
I don't recall seeing the video posted in this thread but if it has been I'll delete it.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eg1h7Y__Vcc[/youtube]

Just to go with this video the sheet shows the strengths of the spring.

Untitled.jpg

Justin said:
Awesome!!!! I will give this a try right away. did you leave the perches in place or remove them after?

The top perch falls off with the spring and the pin, the bottom one slides off to the side. Easy peasy. Just push the pedal down to expand the spring so the vice grips fits (many other tools would work too) then squeeze the two center coils together. Push down on the top coil and it falls out. The hardest part by far is figuring out how to get both arms down there, I had to push the seat all the way back and lean it as far back as I could then sit on the seat upside down. Getting your elbows in is what makes it difficult.

This is what I wanted to use, but I can't find mine. The needle nose will work, the regular ones will not fit even the small size. The needle nose need to be straight or the jaws will twist and let go. Basically just doing like a spring compressor for doing suspension work.

31NW5IzGQUL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

So far, I like it a lot. There is a spongy bit at the very top, but it is better everywhere else. You do feel a slight clicking as you push the pedal down if you do it really slow, it feels like it is probably the remaining spring twisting, but I don't recall if it felt like that before.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
CaliMR said:
Justin said:

The top perch falls off with the spring and the pin, the bottom one slides off to the side. Easy peasy. Just push the pedal down to expand the spring so the vice grips fits (many other tools would work too) then squeeze the two center coils together. Push down on the top coil and it falls out. The hardest part by far is figuring out how to get both arms down there, I had to push the seat all the way back and lean it as far back as I could then sit on the seat upside down. Getting your elbows in is what makes it difficult.

Amazon.com. $16.09. Shipped

Thanks for the tip! :)

This is what I wanted to use, but I can't find mine. The needle nose will work, the regular ones will not fit even the small size. The needle nose need to be straight or the jaws will twist and let go. Basically just doing like a spring compressor for doing suspension work.

31NW5IzGQUL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

So far, I like it a lot. There is a spongy bit at the very top, but it is better everywhere else. You do feel a slight clicking as you push the pedal down if you do it really slow, it feels like it is probably the remaining spring twisting, but I don't recall if it felt like that before.

I just realized I never measured the width of the area to see if that duck bill will fit. I think it will, based on how wide mine was.

GA
5 DOT 0 said:
I don't recall seeing the video posted in this thread but if it has been I'll delete it.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eg1h7Y__Vcc[/youtube]

So what is different about the 2011 GT500 clutch pedal assembly?

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel