GT350 Front Grille Opening

Discussion in 'GT350 and S550 Technical Forum' started by VoodooBoss, Aug 15, 2017.

1. JAJ

JAJ TMO Race

The OEM tune has headroom to handle more Mass Air Flow than the nominal maximum; it just increases fuel to match. A tune is only needed if you change something that alters the calibration of the MAF sensor (like a tubing diameter change) or that increases flow enough to push it out of range (like FI). While opening up the grill might provide cooler air to the intake, it won't change the actual pressure at the entrance to the inlet horn by much, so the airflow won't change by much either. In fact, there's a risk that opening it up will create turbulence in that zone, which could reduce airflow. Unlikely though.

Tob, VoodooBoss and Grant 302 like this.
  2. Grant 302

Grant 302 OPM Spent: $587,402 Moderator

The mod itself will likely provide nothing either way. As JAJ points out, there is more potential for adversely altering the velocity coming through the stock intake location at the side of the 'fang'. I wouldn't recommend making this modification.

At low speeds, I see the mod taking away from the available air/pressure for cooling. And at high speeds, the air from between the 'fangs' is available to 'spill' into the stock location anyway.

3. Black Boss

Black Boss TMO Addict

Meanwhile here's my effort to reduce front lift and possibly improve cooling:

IMG_4536.jpg

spartan, blok, VoodooBoss and 5 others like this.
  4. Grant 302

Nice. Because RacecaR!

5. RES_22

RES_22 Rob

It would be interesting to understand why the FP design team didn't install a hood trailing edge underside rear seal on the (essentially) FP350S OEM hood...:confused:

6. Grant 302

First guess would be because they pulled the block-off plate and added a splitter. I'm just saying to test it first with wool tufts and video first. Especially if you're keeping the radiator block off.

RES_22 likes this.
  7. RES_22

RES_22 Rob

Agree....they did pull most of the block-off plate. Hard to see from internet pics.

I'd expect a ton of underhood pressurization w/o the plate and with a splitter. But they did not open up the venting in OEM hood.

It would be cool to know what's on their "worry list" for keeping the thing alive at VIR or Sebring in August

8. LERCH

LERCH TMO Intermediate

It may be worth talking with velossa tech to see if the will make a gt350 bellmouth like they go for the gt's.[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

9. VoodooBoss

VoodooBoss Rick Moderator

What advantage does it have over the stock one?

10. blok

blok TMO Beginner

I think the grill opening may be the limiter on the GT350 not the actual duct to the air filter. But I checked out the site and those guys have seen measurable results on GTs with that.

11. LERCH

LERCH TMO Intermediate

On the gt it does a better job of directing the air from the grille opening into the airbox. I don't know how well the stock gt350 piece seals up to the grille, but on the GT's this piece with a little weather stripping makes a true ram air system.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

12. RED BEAST

RED BEAST TMO Beginner

After viewing all info. on the Velossa Tech site regarding their Big Mouth Ram Air Duct I'm curious. So, I've emailed back & forth w/ Dan Bleeker, co. President @ Velossa Tech. He tells me that they may be looking into a Big Mouth application for the GT350 , but not for 2-3 mo
    as they are working through a production backlog after recent hurricanes.
    So, maybe another option will become avail.
    to us. .:)

LERCH likes this.
  13. Eritas

Eritas TMO Intermediate

Ram-air effect?

14. VoodooBoss

VoodooBoss Rick Moderator

That looks stock. Am I missing something? FYI that car belongs to a TMO member.

15. Tob

Tob TMO Race

The GT4 car has no relevance here. It was homologated with the grille plate you see and cannot be altered. Furthermore, the GT4 car uses the more restrictive, closed intake tract from the Mustang GT.

16. Tob

Tob TMO Race

Lighten up Francis. My response wasn't intended to appeal to your emotional side but was merely pointing out that in the context of your post that the GT4 is using a completely different intake tract behind a stock GT350R grille. Changes made to the tract were to limit or restrict power if anything as opposed to teams being given the freedom to make changes in search of more power.

17. ChrisM

ChrisM No bad days.

Okay. The irrelevant picture was removed. Sorry.

I did learn the intake tracts are different. Neat.

18. 65sohc

65sohc TMO Intermediate

So did this mod result in any change in IAT? At 60 mph my IAT is 10-11 degrees above ambient. On my 2013 Boss at the same speed the IAT was actually 1 degree below the ambient readout. That was with a C&L CAI.

19. Tob

Tob TMO Race

Blah, blah, blah. Yes there is additional venting of the hood on the upcoming GT500. I still disagree with some of what has been said (as these intake tract systems don't really leak) in this thread. I think Ford would have too. Looky here...

[​IMG]

20. Grant 302

It's like cutting a hole in the side of a velocity stack. Or adding a funnel on top a bell mouth. I don't see the point.

Yeah, I see that Ford made a single intake inlet, not one divided by the 'fang' in that pic. Makes sense to me.

RES_22 likes this.