The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GT350 News and Predictions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

And as I've been predicting for the LA Auto Show since May....

New Ford Performance Vehicle: Ford plans to unveil a new performance carhttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/icon1.png next week and a series of teaser videos already released by the automaker suggests the car could be the long-awaited Mustang GT350 built by the SVT performance division. The new Mustang GT350 is expected to feature a naturally-aspirated V-8 engine displacing 5.2-liters and featuring a flat-plane crank. This isn’t a replacement for the previous Shelby GT500; the Mustang GT350 will be the track-focused version of thenewhttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/icon1.png Mustang, meaning it will target Chevrolet’s Camaro Z/28.

NFSBOSS said:
So wider front and rear fenders. Was that a vent for the rear brakes? Front vents are a given but the angle looked wrong for the fronts. This is going to be bad a$$!
The stance from the front looks amazing. The hype is part of the fun! I typically don't get that interested in buying "stuff" so it's kind of fun getting to act like a kid at Christmas again ;)

NFSBOSS said:
No FI with that intake. Their reference to Ecoboost was what they learned from them in relation to free revving low inertial engines. In other words a flat plane crank which has low inertia from a lighter crankshaft. ;)

Check this out on the CFC:

http://corporate.ford.com/news-center/press-releases-detail/pr-ford-develops-carbon-fibre-37201

if we are to believe that the biggest surprise on this car isn't the FPC, could it be the *extensive* use of CF reinforced plastics in more than the hood, roof, and trunk? if the front and rear fenders are new pieces and are full of vents...why not do those in CF too?

fuhrius said:
if we are to believe that the biggest surprise on this car isn't the FPC, could it be the *extensive* use of CF reinforced plastics in more than the hood, roof, and trunk? if the front and rear fenders are new pieces and are full of vents...why not do those in CF too?
They could be. My thought was the hood, roof and trunk lid are easy to create and don't get damaged near as easily as bumper covers. But the more I look at the screen shot from the third video the front bumper cover could very well be CFC.

FordMustangGT350-lg-626x352.jpg

NFSBOSS said:
They could be. My thought was the hood, roof and trunk lid are easy to create and don't get damaged near as easily as bumper covers. But the more I look at the screen shot from the third video the front bumper cover could very well be CFC.
Crashing could = $$$$$$$$ ? :-\

I think that's bound to be the case...and think about carbon ceramic brake maintenance and replacing PS cups...pretty sure it's going to require more operating budget than a miata.

fuhrius said:
I think that's bound to be the case...and this about carbon ceramic brake maintenance and replacing PS cups...pretty sure it's going to require more operating budget than a miata.
Hopefully there will be steel rotors available to fit them? Or maybe the CC brake kit will be an option.

fuhrius said:
I think that's bound to be the case...and this about carbon ceramic brake maintenance and replacing PS cups...pretty sure it's going to require more operating budget than a miata.
Yep. Same with the Camaro, GT3, GT-R, Z06 and so on and so on. The GT350 is going to make a Boss look cheap. I'm still sticking with the following:

GT350 = $60-65K loaded
GT350R = $70-75K loaded

The big difference between the two will be the R has CC brakes CF wheels with Cup tires and better dampers along with the LS type equipment. RSD, brake duct kit, more aero, possibly more oil coolers etc.

NFSBOSS said:
From new member Backorder: Note how much lower the front hood is relative to the fenders. I wonder if they lowered the engine? I can't wait to see what Ford has cooked up for us on Monday.
Wow! Is that an artist's rendition or the actual car? The engineers won on the grille design this time. Looks like it should flow pretty well ;)

what strikes me from looking at the rtr versus what, I think has got to be the actual gt350 in the second image, is how much wider the front fenders are - look at the mirrors relative to the outside of the fenders. that's consistent with a comment made in one of the tease videos that they were able to significantly lower the hood and widen the front track. could the lower hood be a result of the FPC engine architecture? and / or fitting it lower? I don't know, but it's certainly one of my main gripes with driving S197 cars on track is the poor forward visibility - particularly over the right fender. I'm sure it's not as bad for taller folks (I'm 5'9") but, particularly, in cars with proper race seats where you want to also get your head down lower in the vehicle relative to roll cages...it's a weak point of the s197 from a driver's perspective.
When I drove the stingray, it was a really refreshing change to have such great visibility...my boxster track car had awesome forward visibility because there was no engine in front of you so the hood and fenders could be really low.
the bottom line, for me, is that the image of the gt350 looks badass and I want one.
Monday will be a big day...I'm looking forward to it. By sheer coincidence / luck another product that I'm very eagerly awaiting is expected to be intro'd on Monday - the new long-travel enduro bike from Ibis. I'm a long-time / huge Ibis fan.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I think it's just the depth of focus of the camera giving the silhouette a much wider and "lowered hood" look; I'll bet it's just that the perspective generated by the camera lens used there makes the rest of the car (mirrors, greenhouse) look farther away and therefore smaller.

Tomorrow should be interesting :)

TMO Supporting Vendors