The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

The new Z/28 vs. BOSS 302 On Track

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How wide are the fronts? Maybe 11's wouldn't fit?

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Grant 302 said:
8)

I'm still wondering about the staggered rims, but square tires.

Might be used to manipulate the way the tires work; could exaggerate the effect of sidewall flex by design (to change the wheel rate of the tire) if that's what they wanted to do. Or it could just be a fitment thing :)

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
ArizonaBOSS said:
Might be used to manipulate the way the tires work; could exaggerate the effect of sidewall flex by design (to change the wheel rate of the tire) if that's what they wanted to do. Or it could just be a fitment thing :)

That's what I'm not getting from a handling dynamics standpoint, why they'd stretch the rear and stuff the front. If it was done for fitment or packaging issues, then they might not be looking at the potential adverse handling effects (which I doubt)...but it looks like that might be part of the problem making it hard to recover at the limit.

When I went on the link to the Camaro forum and read what he had to say, I got the impresion he wasnt pushing the car all that hard cause he was learning it. I laso got the impresion he was "toying" with the BOSS crowd. Thats just what I get from his take. No?

He may have not been pushing it throughout the whole lap, but he was certainlucertainly aggressive with the throttle and shift for that certain turn. To me, it looked like quick weight transfer during gear shift and loss of rear traction after the gear shift was the cause.

Let's learn from other's mistakes! (And share ours :p)

Im not saying I agree with him, but theres one part where he said he saw the line of BOSS' , passed them all then tried to put some distance on NFSBOSS. He made it sound like it was easy. I am totally impressed with NFSBOSS and tell all the Camaro guys that bug me about the Z/28 smoking everthing they throw at it that "yeah maybe with a Seasoned Pro behind the wheel of both cars". Put the average joe or someone with some experience and it will be much closer than the test articles show. Not everyone who buys either our cars(me included), or the Z or Corvettes has the brass balls needed to drive them to their potential limits.

Grant 302

What he seems to be missing is that it still takes driver skill to stay in front, regardless of how 'easy' it was to get there. ::)

NFSBOSS said:
I always spin off track when I'm not pushing it. ::)

This made me laugh every day this past week. ;D

Jason said:
Im not saying I agree with him, but theres one part where he said he saw the line of BOSS' , passed them all then tried to put some distance on NFSBOSS. He made it sound like it was easy. I am totally impressed with NFSBOSS and tell all the Camaro guys that bug me about the Z/28 smoking everthing they throw at it that "yeah maybe with a Seasoned Pro behind the wheel of both cars". Put the average joe or someone with some experience and it will be much closer than the test articles show. Not everyone who buys either our cars(me included), or the Z or Corvettes has the brass balls needed to drive them to their potential limits.
Thanks. The conditions were the same for all of us that day, it was mid 90's by 11:00 on the way up to 108. Like many I wasn't out there beating my car and was going hard one lap hard and the next one backing off so my car would not overheat. For the record that spin took place in turn 2 on the original 3 mile track. We were only allowed to drive the new track during the first session of the morning so during that session there was no new track to learn. When you're driving a car that cost $33K more than a Boss 302 I would hope it could easily pass our cars especially when they are stock. There were only two of us running R comps that day and the rest were on street tires. But like I've been saying for some time if you put the same tires and size as the Z on a Boss and brake pads of your choice it's going to be a lot closer than most think. Remember acceleration times and braking distances are nearly identical. Putting those tires in a 305 square setup should knock 3-4 seconds a lap off of the stock Pirelli's.

But all of this really doesn't matter and it's all good fun. I get passed by Miata's and pass Porsche's all the time. ;)

NFSBOSS said:
Thanks. The conditions were the same for all of us that day, it was mid 90's by 11:00 on the way up to 108. Like many I wasn't out there beating my car and was going hard one lap hard and the next one backing off so my car would not overheat. For the record that spin took place in turn 2 on the original 3 mile track. We were only allowed to drive the new track during the first session of the morning so during that session there was no new track to learn. When you're driving a car that cost $33K more than a Boss 302 I would hope it could easily pass our cars especially when they are stock. There were only two of us running R comps that day and the rest were on street tires. But like I've been saying for some time if you put the same tires and size as the Z on a Boss and brake pads of your choice it's going to be a lot closer than most think. Remember acceleration times and braking distances are nearly identical. Putting those tires in a 305 square setup should knock 3-4 seconds a lap off of the stock Pirelli's.

But all of this really doesn't matter and it's all good fun. I get passed by Miata's and pass Porsche's all the time. ;)
Your welcome! If I lived anywhere near a track, I would so be doing what you and the other guys do every chance I got. Im almost glad I don't because I would probably have gone broke trying to keep up with you guys and made my car into a full fledged race car. Racing is def not a poor mans sport until you get into it so deep, you end up poor! LOL I watch you guys through this site every day and am envious.

Jason said:
Your welcome! If I lived anywhere near a track, I would so be doing what you and the other guys do every chance I got. Im almost glad I don't because I would probably have gone broke trying to keep up with you guys and made my car into a full fledged race car. Racing is def not a poor mans sport until you get into it so deep, you end up poor! LOL I watch you guys through this site every day and am envious.

I would look around for some AutoX clubs. They only need a parking lot and it is safer, cheaper, and still a lot of fun.

Grant 302

WinterSucks said:
I would look around for some AutoX clubs. They only need a parking lot and it is safer, cheaper, and still a lot of fun.

Only somewhat cheaper. I think AutoX is harder on tires and suspension parts. Otherwise I'd do more of that too.

TMO Supporting Vendors