The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Where's Wally

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan
8250RPM said:
Have you installed any paint protection? If not how's the paint finish holding up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No. Thought about it, but concluded that I'll get a paint job if needed. It's likely the stripes would not survive clear bra removal, and then there's always the likelyhood of damage to non-protected areas. Got a minor chip on the hood on the street and the facia has some fine stone marks from the track. Windshield cracked on day 5 at the track and I'll be replacing in a week.....

Black Boss said:
No. Thought about it, but concluded that I'll get a paint job if needed. It's likely the stripes would not survive clear bra removal, and then there's always the likelyhood of damaged to non-protected areas. Got a minor chip on the hood on the street and the facia has some fine stone marks. Windshield cracked on day 5 at the track and I'll be replacing in a week.....
I envy you. Your out racing your car and enjoying it to its full potential and I'm to OCD to even track it yet! Once I hit the 1000 mile mark I'll hit the tracks but because of my business and my work load I just hit 218 miles.
Scott.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Black Boss said:
Much more humid and hotter today. Got some coaching and improved a couple of lines, but shift points were later so power was obviously down. Got within 2/10's of yesterday's time. This car is amazing, the more I drive it the more I realize what a great job the dampers are doing. Hoosier's were good for 20 cycles (about 9.5 hours) and then corded, grip was still great. GLOC pads are still good after 4 full track days, but will likely need changing.

Will measure pads & Rotors and post details, later this week.

Hey Nick, finally signed up! Wish we had better conditions compared to the weekend, you had a low :05' or a high :04 on Monday.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
smbstyle said:
SS5_6698.jpg

Shame the second Pic was removed.

This!

I even had to save a copy of this pic!

Great pic of the best looking GT350 R on the planet, IMO.

Best of luck with your 2016 race season,

Dave
302 Hi Pro

@Black Boss how are your front rotors holding up? I'm alway concerned about drilled rotors cracking prematurely but I'm hoping these wear out before cracking. Also how many days are you getting out of your G-Loc pads?

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan
@VoodooBOSS I've only done a quick check at the track on the pads and rotors, and will be pulling the wheels next week for a thorough inspection/ bleed / pad change before heading off to Watkins Glen. 8)

Preliminary observations: GLOC pads had great initial bite and good feel. Fronts are nearly done, but lasted 4 long Track days -- 9 hours at VIR and Gingerman, both tough on brakes. Rotors have some micro cracks and are grooved. That said, I saw similar micro cracks on my Girodisc slotted rotors on the Boss with the same Brake compound and those rotors typically needed replacing for cracks (a little) prior to getting to minimum thickness.

I will measure pad/rotor thickness and do a more thorough inspection, including inside rotor surface next week and post results.

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan
VoodooBOSS said:
@Black Boss how are your front rotors holding up? I'm alway concerned about drilled rotors cracking prematurely but I'm hoping these wear out before cracking. Also how many days are you getting out of your G-Loc pads?

Measured everything today. Front pads are 2.0 (R) -2.5 (L) mm at thinest point, Rears are both 3.0mm at thinnest section, so time to change both Front & Rear pads after 4 long track days (9+ hours) on tough braking tracks. Rear rotors show minimum wear (26.05mm) and no cracking or grooving, fronts are close to nominal thickness (at 36.02mm) with a fair number of micro cracks from the cross drilling locations and grooving of just over 0.5mm. Very pleased with GLOC pad longevity and feel and the rotors are cheap, plus the front rotors are easy to change.

Another learning from the last track session, you only need to hold down the TCS button for 5-10 secs to totally disable the nannies in Track mode -- no need for simultaneous brake application (as required in the Boss).

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan
kona302 said:
Any tricks to installing the catch cans Nick or is it pretty straight forward. Still have to install mine.

Thanks
Tal

Very straightforward -- took about 10 mins each side. Tubes need a little bit of juggling to make the second connection as they're solid.....

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan
Awesome day at Watkins Glen today, with Steve and BOTH 21 cars:

image_zps9qrprgmj.jpg

Ran a 2:07.x in the 350 -- almost 10 seconds faster than my Best time in the Boss, although I've only run 4 days at this track before.......

Will post video etc after tomorrow's session.

Black Boss said:
Awesome day at Watkins Glen today, with Steve and BOTH 21 cars:

Ran a 2:07.x in the 350 -- almost 10 seconds faster than my Best time in the Boss, although I've only run 4 days at this track before.......

That is inspiring to shave 10 seconds!! Nice driving and great looking line up of cars.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel