The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Blown 2012 Engine.Important read

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just a data point that if I keep mine filled to the midway point on the dip stick it doesn't seem to go down nearly as quickly compared to when I fill it to the top of the range. It makes no sense but there it is.

Unless Ford officially releases something stating to overfill, I will not do it. To me that would be a reason for Ford to deny a warranty claim if something were to occur, and there was no official paperwork on overfilling.

I will be installing a true temp gauge and oil pressure gauge in my car in the very near future.

LostPony said:
Unless Ford officially releases something stating to overfill, I will not do it. To me that would be a reason for Ford to deny a warranty claim if something were to occur, and there was no official paperwork on overfilling.

I will be installing a true temp gauge and oil pressure gauge in my car in the very near future.
I understand your concern with it and I don't overfill mine either despite a need for more cooling on the track. I just thought I'd share what we were told. I'll be interested to see what kind of oil temps you are running to compare with mine. Since installing the gauge I've always had the air-to-oil cooler so I don't have any stock oil temps to compare them to.

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
5 DOT 0 said:
Just a data point that if I keep mine filled to the midway point on the dip stick it doesn't seem to go down nearly as quickly compared to when I fill it to the top of the range. It makes no sense but there it is.

That is the identical result with a couple of air cooled 911's that I owned. They did not like to be filled to the full mark of the dipstick.

They would burn off oil to about the halfway point on the dipstick and then the oil level stayed steady.

07SGT0547 said:
I also believe that a majority of the oil consumption issues are the result of the higher RPM's forcing the oil vapors out the PCV system... For those of you who have the "Catch Can" installed, is the amount of oil in the canister consistent with the amount of oil you are showing low on the dipstick??? I realize that it won't be 100% accurate, but at least it is an indication of "where" that oil might be going... And other than a physical leak, where else could it go???

So far I have only seen a coating of oil in my canister, no build up. I burn half to a full quart per track day and my plugs were almost fouled after 4,000 miles.

Can I ask a stupid question? Apart from the car in this thread, how many Boss owners have experienced an engine failure like this? The way people are talking about warped heads and such, you'd think this was common. I had never even heard of it until this thread.

zzyzx

Steve
I seriously doubt there's any "design flaw" at play here. It's far more likely that there are assembly irregularities, or batches of parts that are marginal (though unlikely).

Also there seems to be a lot of debate on design details of the engine. That can all be settled by reading this article:

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/techarticles/m5lp_1108_2011_ford_mustang_302/viewall.html

It's a long but fantastic read. Might clear up a lot of misconceptions as well as Fords design intent on various components.

zzyzx said:
I seriously doubt there's any "design flaw" at play here. It's far more likely that there are assembly irregularities, or batches of parts that are marginal (though unlikely).

Also there seems to be a lot of debate on design details of the engine. That can all be settled by reading this article:

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/techarticles/m5lp_1108_2011_ford_mustang_302/viewall.html

It's a long but fantastic read. Might clear up a lot of misconceptions as well as Fords design intent on various components.
Great read and thanks for posting. Engine durability was advertised from day one and I don't think that should be a big concern. I've seen my share of Vette and P-cars pop engines this year already, but haven't heard of too many Bosses. It's particularly interesting in the article how they repeatedly talk about more high end power available above 7500 RPM. You think that revised crank timing ring now being offered has something to do with that? :-X

zzyzx

Steve
cloud9 said:
You think that revised crank timing ring now being offered has something to do with that? :-X

I didn't know there was a revised timing ring. Care to fill me in on the details/provide a link? And yes, per the article, I would definitely think that has something to do with it. :)

Rich_S said:
Can I ask a stupid question? Apart from the car in this thread, how many Boss owners have experienced an engine failure like this? The way people are talking about warped heads and such, you'd think this was common. I had never even heard of it until this thread.

I'm thinking a bad engine just slipped through the cracks. I don't think we all have to much to worry about.

zzyzx said:
cloud9 said:
You think that revised crank timing ring now being offered has something to do with that? :-X

I didn't know there was a revised timing ring. Care to fill me in on the details/provide a link? And yes, per the article, I would definitely think that has something to do with it. :)

https://trackmustangsonline.com/boss-302-technical-forum/new-high-rpm-crank-trigger-ring/msg42762/#msg42762

I had a chance to run my car around 100mph-120 for a few hours straight and will say after two sesions like that the car feels soo much better. I encourage doing this to break them in it really has made a great difference mine has 8600 miles on it and it never felt this good. I believe the run has broken in the motor. very clean sounding to.

Mid-Week Update (7/22/2012):

Looks like my replacement Long Block actually arrived at the Dealer on Monday... Service Writer had this particular Monday OFF and didn't see the warranty paperwork until early this Morning... Should have the BOSS back on the road in a few days... Hoping to be able to pick it up on Monday the 30th...

07SGT0547 said:
Mid-Week Update (7/22/2012):

Looks like my replacement Long Block actually arrived at the Dealer on Monday... Service Writer had this particular Monday OFF and didn't see the warranty paperwork until early this Morning... Should have the BOSS back on the road in a few days... Hoping to be able to pick it up on Monday the 30th...

I hate to say this, but good luck with the engine change. Based on all the incompetent service experiences I've had and many others on this forum, I would hate for anyone to take my engine out and put it back Plus the bolting up of all the accessories/wiring etc. the chances of you opening that hood and saying "wow, looks like it did before" are slim to none. Hate to be the negative one, but damn. Putting the correct oil in these cars seems to be a chore for most service depts. I know, I know, your service guy is the bestest. Just like everyone's doctor is the best. Just picking. Good luck. I'm hoping to hear you get your car back and it's like new.

I have to agree with Tflong24. I had my 3rd Gen RX7 engined swapped for a factory crate motor. Ran great for about 6 months, then, kablooey! I really wish you all the luck and skill in the world but I would definitely be nervous.

Shawn

TMO Supporting Vendors