The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

TracKey is here! Those that are installing - please post!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Guys - I really think the whole "do the Trackey installation right" thing is a bit overstated. I may be off base here and am will to take a thrashing online for what follows ;D The whole installation for any Ford trained tech is a mindless exercise (remember the monkeys banging on the transmisson AAMCO commercial?) as long as they can do 2 things:

• Read - the install instructions are very explicit
  • Have the correct version of the laptop software required for the install (see the first requirement above)

The only reason why it even takes an hour is the data download times. For all the guys that haven't had it installed yet I'd let your dealer do it just as long as they say they can. My dealer has done only one, my LS, and the process went flawlessly. Obviously, SHxx can happen at any time and Murphy will stick his head out for the simplest of things. That said, I think a lot of Boss owners ar elead to believe the whole process is a crap shoot when in reality it's pretyy straight forward.

(Fire away ;D )

It is not hard if you read instructions, have hard/land line hook up to computr, and latest update. I did n mine while my Tech got a cup of coffee...lol.
The 1st time was scary tried for 3hrs, and TECH could not do it. WI-FI hook up was problem.

BLAZN BOSS

No bashing but practice makes perfect. If i was waiting in line for this to be accomplished, trust me, I would step aside and let the guy behind me go first. I worked as a mechanic for two Ford dealerships. Dealership mechanics think they are invincible because they are dealership mechanics, (ford backing). I've have witnessed the "awww shits" plenty of times.........my car will not be part of someones learning curv. I may be overcautious but thats they way its gonna be.

Well I have a copy of the " Installation Instructions For Dealer Technician v1.0" and after reading it, it's pretty straight forward. My dealer installed one TKey Package prior to mine. It took them less than an hour... People worry too damn much.

Now for my TKey evaluation comments:

There is a night and day difference in throttle response. The butt dyno can definitely feel a difference in the low end rpm spectrum on exceleration. Let off the pedal and engine braking is very prominent. The exhaust note sounds more beefy according to my wife. I agreed. I swear there is a rpm range where it teters on a note of rasp if you ask me. Skip shift? What is skip shift? Lopey Idle is "ok" but nothing like the youtube video thats going around. It seems the Boss idles faster but I could be wrong on that. There is an engine vibration here and there that shakes the interior. Parking lot driving was kind of a pain in the azz. Touch the pedal in 1st and you jumped forward 5 ft. Let off and you get jerked forward a bit. Probably better to use 2nd gear in parking lots.

Overall, I feel TKey delivers and would be a great benefit on the track. Very responsive engine braking heading into a turn and nice hard quick exceleration coming out that plants you in the Recaro. It is seat of the pants fun. An already fun car made even more fun. My last car was a cammed, underdrive pullied, full exhaust, dyno tuned SS 6 spd with welded in Hotchkis subframe connectors, Hotchkis LCA's, strut tower brace, LS6 Intake, CAI, etc. It screamed pretty well. I believe my Boss pulls nearly as well and definitely out handles the SS.

hi had my trckkey installed on nov 29 apperantly first one in canada they had to use v1.2 from fordtrackey.com. ido get alouppy idle but not like on the video mabey the weather is too cold anyway its sleeping in the garage for now let you know in spring how it performs.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
The lopey idle will not sound like the old Ford video, that car was set up differently. You will hear a difference, especially with the restrictor plates out, but it won't bump and grind like a NASCAR in idle ...

98RedGT

2012 #552
does anybody have a pic of the CARB EO sticker on the strut tower? curious where people have placed it as it does not seem there is enough room to place it flat.

98RedGT said:
does anybody have a pic of the CARB EO sticker on the strut tower? curious where people have placed it as it does not seem there is enough room to place it flat.
Leave it off until it's needed. And if you're outside CA you might never need it!

BLAZN BOSS

BadBoss1930 said:
Well I have a copy of the " Installation Instructions For Dealer Technician v1.0" and after reading it, it's pretty straight forward. My dealer installed one TKey Package prior to mine. It took them less than an hour... People worry too damn much.

Not sure how easy 40 thousand dollars comes to you but its hard as hell for me. Like I stated before I have worked as a mechanic for two dealerships and for every grade 5 mechanic there are 3 grade 1's. I don't want some out of highschool kid tell me he screwed up and they need to keep my car. people worry too much........you DAMN right and rightfully so.

I was not worried until I watched my Dealers only Tech have three, and one half hours of trouble, and still not get it done. When I went back TWO weeks later thanks to this forum information, and my copies of dealer instructions I was able to get him to let me do most of it, (He now knows how) Yes I worried after the FORD RACING REP told Him to send my car PCM in, and they would do it. NO WAY.
If you did not have to worry , that is because you did not experience the confusion, and worried look when the TECH opened the package, and started doing it.
Glad some never had any trouble, and I am glad its on my car.
I just turned over 800 miles on my car built on 6/9/11, so I am worried about wearing the tires out. LOL.
HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE.

302BOB said:
I loved the lopey idle in the old video (where He's showing off launch control). It's a shame it got watered down to what it is now thanks to CARB restrictions.

Bob, I am no fan of CARB but the Trackey program we got is what Ford submitted to CARB. The original idle posted on youtube were prototype cars and not meant for the cars we bought.

I couldnt be happier with the track key, yes i was the first install at my dealership but after to tries they finally got it right. Id pay the $300.00 just to get rid of that annoying skip shift. When i use the idle the whole car shakes and sounds awesome but i do have my restrictor plates removed. I cant to use the two step like set up at ENglishtown this spring. Has anyone purchased any street slicks yet for 1/4 mile racing.

BLAZN BOSS said:
BadBoss1930 said:

Not sure how easy 40 thousand dollars comes to you but its hard as hell for me. Like I stated before I have worked as a mechanic for two dealerships and for every grade 5 mechanic there are 3 grade 1's. I don't want some out of highschool kid tell me he screwed up and they need to keep my car. people worry too much........you DAMN right and rightfully so.

Oh I just looked in my couch cushions and came up with $40k...
If you're in the DFW then I can give you the info on my dealer and the assigned tech that did it.
Otherwise, maybe get some networking done with Boss owners in your area. OR maybe go without the TK if it's gonna eat you up inside while it's getting done.

BLAZN BOSS

No hurry for Trackey..........I dont track the car and I dont care that much about lopy idle.......the parts manager at the dealer I bought the car from is a close friend.......he's gonna let me know when they install the first........if its successful then I'll make plans to get mine..........Might just wait till I have 2 years on the warranty then once i get Trakey the remaining 3 wont be affected. Check the rest of your cushions and send me your next 40K........I'll put it to better use.

I bought my Boss 302 3 days after the track key was available (11-4-11), and had them enable it before delivery. I'm not going to track or drag race the car, but how can you not have such an option enabled on this car. It's a must have in my book, unless you plan on aftermarket parts and a tune, which I don't.
the track key really wakes this car up, the throttle response, handling and power are very different. I have limited miles on it before I tucked it away for the cold months here in the North but from what I felt in the times I used the track key was great.

Dig-It

Kevin
VA
BLAZN BOSS said:
No hurry for Trackey..........I dont track the car and I dont care that much about lopy idle.......the parts manager at the dealer I bought the car from is a close friend.......he's gonna let me know when they install the first........if its successful then I'll make plans to get mine..........Might just wait till I have 2 years on the warranty then once i get Trakey the remaining 3 wont be affected. Check the rest of your cushions and send me your next 40K........I'll put it to better use.
Which dealer, if you don't mind my asking?

98RedGT

2012 #552
BadBoss1930 said:
BLAZN BOSS said:
BadBoss1930 said:

Oh I just looked in my couch cushions and came up with $40k...
If you're in the DFW then I can give you the info on my dealer and the assigned tech that did it.
Otherwise, maybe get some networking done with Boss owners in your area. OR maybe go without the TK if it's gonna eat you up inside while it's getting done.

IMHO it goes to building a relationship with your local dealer, so when you take your car in for any type of work (even as simple as oil change) it gets done right; because he knows you and values your business so he makes sure it gets done right for you. For my TracKey install I worked with my dealer (who is about 20 miles away, even though there is a Ford dealer 2 blocks from my house) to get it done on the schedule of the tech that is a grade 5. The tech worked every 3rd Saturday so I scheduled it for one of those Saturdays and that's all he had on his schedule. He wasn't rushed and in about 1 or so it was done without any issues.

TMO Supporting Vendors