The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Where's My RedPill?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Boss will always be the BOSS!

Did you remove the clutch helper spring?

I would add that to my rant list, I really don't like the on/off feel of the clutch. I find the center console a bit busy as well but the steering wheel controls are nice. (Have a boss wheel on my s197 with non working buttons)

And I can see where you are coming from with the visceral experience compared to the boss. The motor sound isn't quite as raucous and the chassis in general is much more refined than the s197. That's why I'm a bit torn selling my s197, I absolutely love the Gt350 but can still appreciate the rawness of the s197

krt22 said:
I absolutely love the Gt350 but can't still appreciate the rawness of the s197

You mean can?

Rick - a few questions. Is the R wheel identical to the regular GT350 save for the red band and stitching? And the calipers...what are you doing for the rest of the hardware as it looks as though they didn't come loaded.

I have not removed the helper spring and after driving the car, almost 200 miles on it now, I've gotten familiar with the clutch and will leave it stock for now.

Here's my take on the visceral differences between the two cars: the Boss FEELS more like a race car with a license plate while the 350 IS more like a race car with a license plate.

Tob, the wheel is identical other than the cosmetics. Sure would have been nice if Ford had spec'd a white piece of leather instead of black on our stock wheels. Seriously that couldn't have cost any more money... If they had done that I would not have spent the money or time to swap it out. The red stripe and stitching does go well with the RedPill.

You are correct there is no hardware included with the replacement calipers. I'll use the hardware that came with my stock brakes but anyone upgrading will need to purchase those parts separately. I think the only parts you'll need are the pins and clips holding the rear pads in place and any backing plates in all calipers. Oh and the front spindles. I'm not sure if there are any differences in mounting the rear calipers. If you track your car I think the effort will be it. The stock brakes are AMAZING!

@voodoo child21

I'm jumping off the fence and doing the same with the steering wheel and calipers. What apparatus are you using for bleeding?

And about the shifter you've hinted at getting. You are really going to like what's in store...

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
Congrats Rick! So are you teaching Jared how to drive in this? I know I'm not on here much anymore, owing that to having a "real" job again. I'm definitely going to miss you guys at track days, especially with the new red pill. Enjoy the heck out of that car.

ufnavy06 said:
Congrats Rick! So are you teaching Jared how to drive in this? I know I'm not on here much anymore, owing that to having a "real" job again. I'm definitely going to miss you guys at track days, especially with the new red pill. Enjoy the heck out of that car.
Thanks Sean, we'll miss you at LS this year. I hope everything is working out well for you and your family!

Any chance you could post a few more pictures of the Race Red, specifically some side profile shots (although all are welcome)?

I have had too much time on my hands while still on unscheduled/material hold and am now second guessing some order choices. Additional pictures would help immensely!

Thanks!

Phenomenal!

I have a RR Tech pack on order from an out of state dealer with courtesy delivery to me in Portland, Oregon. I was back and forth on Tech vs. Track and decided that it might be easier to add the coolers afterwards as it will be a daily driver (although I don't have a commute). Now I'm intrigued by tracking the car at some point (very limited amount) and have been reading about the limp issues with the Tech pack.

I'm also torn about the black roof. I think your pictures have answered that one for me, I'll stick to the solid color and I can always add stripes afterward.

Thanks for the pictures. My folks live out in Glen Ellen, you're in a beautiful part of the country. I used to go see Nascar at Sears Point years ago.

-Rob

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
For ANYONE considering the painted black roof--just get the uniform body color roof and you can have black vinyl applied for less than $200 by most installers.

MA
Question for you sir, if money was no object, what would be the ideal situation:

1. Keep both cars
2. Keep the Boss only
3. Keep the GT350 only

Me, personally, LOVE my Boss...but I was fortunate enough to drive a GT350 at NA Track Tour, and have wanted one ever since. My Dealership got one in and I stared at it and sat in it and still want one, but I'm on the fence about giving up my boss! what would your advice be?
Thanks!

TMO Supporting Vendors