The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Where's Wally

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Very nice. I look forward to photos to see how much they had to cut the side panels and RSD kit.

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan
VooDooBOSS said:
Very nice. I look forward to photos to see how much they had to cut the side panels and RSD kit.

Picked the car up from Watson. They did a great job with the install.

Rear mounting plates are substantial:

IMG_2001_zps2gudbvjj.jpg

They mount to a reinforced portion of the rear floor pan -- note factory spot welds to the right:

IMG_1999_zps4pt0a5wg.jpg

Minor trimming of the rear trim panel and RSD panel was required for the main hoop:

IMG_2002_zpsva8qvrfe.jpg

And obviously holes are required in the RSD panel for the rear supports:

IMG_2003_zpstvk4ds3h.jpg

Overall a clean install. Trimming is very comparable to the CoolTech bar on the Boss.

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan
Test fitted a Momo race seat today. Stock seat is 49 lbs. Race seat, Mounts, hardware and 6 point harness is 37 lbs.

Rearward seat travel with the Roll Bar and Stock seat was at the limit for me being 6' 2". Race seat can move further back, as the rear support is over 1" thinner.

The stock mounts on the S550 are way bigger than on the S197, so with a race seat mount you end up with more exposed floor pan with a Race seat install than on the Boss:

IMG_2028%202_zpsbwh2knw5.jpg

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan
ITLRUN said:
Do you have any issues (idiotl lights / air bag removal) when removing the factory seats?

Finished up the Momo Race Seat install today. I was planning on using the Rotunda OTC diagnostic plug in to eliminate the Air Bag light (this worked great on the Boss):

IMG_2033_zpsdfykfl1o.jpg

Unfortunately the harness connection has changed for the S550 -- there's now a single connector for the entire seat, so I'm going to live with the light ::)

Used a Corbeau seat mount:

IMG_2032_zpsciyqamln.jpg

Plus Sparco Aluminum side mounts and CoolTech clips for the Lap Belts.

Couple of changes needed for the CoolTech clips: On the outboard side there wasn't enough clearance to the trim (highlighted in green), so I bent it inboard a little.

IMG_2030_zpsn80wep65.jpg

Also on the Boss install the edge highlighted in Red butted up to the seat mount to prevent rotation (Yellow arrow) under impact. There may be enough torque in the bolt to prevent rotation, but I'm not trusting it, so I'll get it welded. Same is true on the inboard side:

IMG_2031_zpstkqyzc2g.jpg

Finally, I've decided not to drill the floor pan for the sub-belts. Two reasons, first the steel is way harder to drill, secondly the fuel and brake pipes are routed on the outboard side of the frame rail, exactly where drilling would be required. I'm goung to modify the seat mount to attach, instead.

Interesting. I have the bendable Sparco eyelets to use for the lap belt, but doesn't sound promising to use the eyebolts and fender washers for the sub-belt mounts...... Can the lines be moved to drill, or is there no play in them?

Were you able to find the torque spec on the seat bolts?

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan
cloud9 said:
Interesting. I have the bendable Sparco eyelets to use for the lap belt, but doesn't sound promising to use the eyebolts and fender washers for the sub-belt mounts...... Can the lines be moved to drill, or is there no play in them?

Were you able to find the torque spec on the seat bolts?

There's a plastic shield over the lines. My guess is that if you remove the shield and any clips supporting the lines, there would be enough play to drill. Then the question is whether there is space for the reinforcing plate and nut -- the lines could be flexed, but the plastic shield might push them back -- I wouldn't want any of those lines rubbing -- It was just too much work with many un-knowns on whether it would be successful for me.

Torque spec for seat bolts is 35 ftlbs; Sequence is Front Inner, Front Outer, Rear Inner, Rear Outer.

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan
steveespo said:
Nick is the Corbeau seat mount steel? If so weld 1/4" thick by 4" wide piece across the side straps where you need the lap belt anchors to be. Will be plenty strong, weld it under the side straps. I have it that way on my Sparco base.
Steve

Yea, It's steel. I plan on welding a 1/2 round bar across the underside for the sub belts.

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan
Mad302 said:
Is there a part number for the Rotunda plug. I would like to get rid of my light since i have my Corbeau seat in
@Black Boss

I have a brand new pair I bought in anticipation of using on the new car (they sell in pairs). I'll sell them for cost - 20%. PM me if you'd like them.

TMO Supporting Vendors