The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Whiteline Transmission Bushing Insert

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

F.D. Sako said:
What's involved in installing these?
do we have to unload the transmission weight from the mount before sliding the inserts in?

Well, you have to be able to access the trans mount rubber bushing, which means first supporting the transmission with a floor jack (or transmission jack if the car's up on a lift) and then either:

a) Remove the trans mount by removing the 2 15mm nuts that attach the trans mount to the cradle, then remove the 3 15mm bolts that attach the trans mount to the back of the transmission, or
b) Drop the trans mount cradle by removing the 2 15mm cradle nuts, then remove the 4 18mm cradle bolts.

Either way, it's not a difficult job.

Agreed it says no tools required, so I don't think your doing all that unbolting? I ordered one and it should be here in a day or so, so we'll see

Installed the Whiteline bushing insert this evening. It's very straightforward:

IMG_4513_zps80a9a3b9.png
Whiteline includes grease in the package.

IMG_4515_zps1c10d561.png
Greased up the center insert.

IMG_4514_zpse1adf067.png
Insert from the front of the bushing. A little pressure to get it started and it slides right in (if you can't get it started with just hand pressure, a light tap or two with a ball peen should help). No grease needed on the outside lugs of the insert.

IMG_4516_zpsf9f9ef49.png
Fully inserted.

IMG_4519_zpseb81bade.png
All buttoned up.

No tools needed to install the insert itself, but obviously you need a 15mm and 18mm socket to remove/reinstall the lower trans mount nuts and crossmember bolts respectively. Trans mount bolt torque specs (in lb/ft):

Trans mount insulator (15mm center nuts): 52
Crossmember-to-body (18mm outer bolts): 46

Quick test drive revealed slightly more vibration thru the shifter than stock, but not objectionable. Unfortunately could not test the 2-3 full throttle upshift... too much traffic. That'll have to wait for this weekend I guess.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
Looks like the crossmember captures the insert. Putting in rearward would not capture it. I would think you could save a step and just unbolt the mount from the crossmember and raise the trans to gain access, right?

pufferfish said:
Looks like the crossmember captures the insert. Putting in rearward would not capture it. I would think you could save a step and just unbolt the mount from the crossmember and raise the trans to gain access, right?

Steve... yes, the ridge on both the front and rear of the crossmember should hold it in there. Whitline's instructions say to insert from the front, so that's what I did.

Don't see why you couldn't raise the trans instead of dropping the crossmember. Either way, it's one of the easier mods you'll do. 20 minutes tops from start to finish.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
dabossinne said:
No. The ridges on both the front and backside of the crossmember casting block access to the bushing.
OK no problem, thanks for confirming

now if only someone posted the torques required on those bolts... this thread would be complete lol after dabossnine's 2-3 shift impression, of course.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
F.D. Sako said:
now if only someone posted the torques required on those bolts... this thread would be complete lol after dabossnine's 2-3 shift impression, of course.
torque is 3.5 grunts with a breaker bar lol. thread locker and nice and snug you will be set
but feel free to book mark this link as its a work shop manual
http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=499

Torque specs and picture http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=1115&viewfile=Crossmember%20-%20Transmission,%203.7L%20and%205.0L.pdf

Justin

Brandon302 said:
Torque specs and picture http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=1115&viewfile=Crossmember%20-%20Transmission,%203.7L%20and%205.0L.pdf
my 1/2" torque gun has settings of 1 2 3 4.. 4 being break the heads off of the bolt so I stick to 3 and thread locker lol

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
jesus the NVH.

Drove it around today with the bushing in, this is definitely a track day only part, at least on my car. introduces a lot of vibration into the cabin, and noise. shifter doesn't shake around a lot, but I already have a barton bracket and steeda shifter.

Going to pull it out for my sanity and just install it on track days. It does help firm the setup up.

Justin

captdistraction said:
jesus the NVH.

Drove it around today with the bushing in, this is definitely a track day only part, at least on my car. introduces a lot of vibration into the cabin, and noise. shifter doesn't shake around a lot, but I already have a barton bracket and steeda shifter.

Going to pull it out for my sanity and just install it on track days. It does help firm the setup up.
I hope thats not the case for me. if it is I will have it up for sale same day lol. I have bbr motor mounts already and they arent bad at all.

TMO Supporting Vendors