The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Barton vs. MGW?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

If removing the shift knob was the hardest part of this install, I would get a MGW in a heartbeat. Good luck to you guys that will be getting yours soon. I know I want one, but I'm still on the fence about getting it installed.

Dvendet

Everyone's entitled to my opinion. ;)
302BOB said:
If removing the shift knob was the hardest part of this install, I would get a MGW in a heartbeat. Good luck to you guys that will be getting yours soon. I know I want one, but I'm still on the fence about getting it installed.
Bob - Just posted up a link in the "How-to" forum that takes you to the MGW installation videos. Take a look. Go for it! You"ll learn something along the way and you will get a lot of satisfaction you did the install.

MMD

Maui
boss2511 said:
808Boss said:
boss2511 said:
jeepinocala said:
I will give a review if it ever arrives ;D
if it ever arrives I am going to write up a how too with pics. I will be doing the install in my driveway. at the same time I will be swapping out the fluid for Redline MTL and installing alcantra shift boot and parking boot. I would like to do the driveshaft at the same time but it to is on a 3-4 week delay

Please post pics of install. That would be really nice. ;D I just ordered the shifter last week as well. I was told they wouldn't charge the credit card until it actually ships... Has MGW charged you yet? Where you getting the alcantra boots? Sounds like a nice upgrade...
Thanks...
I got the boots from CJ Pony parts. They are OEM stock for the GT500's. I have a thread https://trackmustangsonline.com/boss-302-general-forum/order-alcantara-shift-boot-and-parking-brake-boot/
they havent charged my card yet so I take that as it hasnt shipped yet

Thanks, I'll take a look!

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
302BOB said:
the hardest part is the wait for them to ship it. lol

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
Ok, everyone can just relax, my order is in! The floodgates will open and all your orders will ship within the next 7 days.*

*Although the information and recommendations at this internet site are presented in good faith and believed to be correct, ace72ace makes no representations or warranties as to the completeness or accuracy of the information.

Information is supplied upon the condition that the persons receiving same will make their own determination as to its suitability for their purposes prior to use. In no event will ace72ace be responsible for damages of any nature whatsoever resulting from the use of or reliance upon information from this post or the products to which the information refers.

ace72ace does not warrant the accuracy or timeliness of the materials on this site and has no liability for any errors or omissions in the materials.

THIS POST IS PROVIDED ON AN “AS IS” BASIS. NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR OF ANY OTHER NATURE ARE MADE HEREUNDER WITH RESPECT TO INFORMATION OR THE PRODUCTS TO WHICH INFORMATION REFERS.

Justin

ace72ace said:
Ok, everyone can just relax, my order is in! The floodgates will open and all your orders will ship within the next 7 days.*

*Although the information and recommendations at this internet site are presented in good faith and believed to be correct, ace72ace makes no representations or warranties as to the completeness or accuracy of the information.

Information is supplied upon the condition that the persons receiving same will make their own determination as to its suitability for their purposes prior to use. In no event will ace72ace be responsible for damages of any nature whatsoever resulting from the use of or reliance upon information from this post or the products to which the information refers.

ace72ace does not warrant the accuracy or timeliness of the materials on this site and has no liability for any errors or omissions in the materials.

THIS POST IS PROVIDED ON AN “AS IS” BASIS. NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR OF ANY OTHER NATURE ARE MADE HEREUNDER WITH RESPECT TO INFORMATION OR THE PRODUCTS TO WHICH INFORMATION REFERS.
lol well tomorrow is the day they promised me two weeks ago. I will email them tomorrow and see if they say it shipped or if they tell me two more weeks.

lol well tomorrow is the day they promised me two weeks ago. I will email them tomorrow and see if they say it shipped or if they tell me two more weeks.
[/quote]

Join the club I have the same intention of emailing them tomorrow ??? With not much hope ;D

Justin

I think my shifter may actually ship today got this back from Julie
WE ARE PUTTING THEM TOGETHER NOW AND SHIPPING AS MANY AS WE CAN TODAY YOUR
UP FRONT SO IT SHOULD GO.

JULIE

ace72ace

Good customer service. I had put in my 'Comments' section of my order, 'please provide me with an ETA, I understand they are made in batches, but please provide an ETA'. I placed my order last night, and got a call this morning at 8:05am to let me know that my shifter would be ready in about 4-5 weeks, and that I would not be charged until the ship date. So even if my MGW order slips a week or 2 beyond that, I will still have it on my shelf a full month or so ahead of my Boss.

After reviewing the installation videos, I'm glad I will also have the driveshaft ready to install the same day so that I will have easy access to the underside of the shifter with the stock DS removed. What a quality piece. Looking forward to getting this in. The videos also demonstrate that if you are handy with a wrench, you should be able to get this job done yourself. Having an extra set of hands would speed the process up for sure, but could be done solo.

I ordered the optional heat shield as well to try and avoid the NVH issues reported by some owners. Watching the video, I think I would definitely want to have more Dynamat to completely surround the opening in the body, and have it overlap completely the circumference top and bottom for maximum effectiveness.

Was wondering also how many folks who ordered MGW decided to get the extra shaft to accomodate aftermarket shift balls, so you have both, or just picked the OEM or the MGW shaft? I wanted to keep the stock Boss ball, so I just picked the OEM shaft. Can't wait to see pics of the new installs.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
I just went with the MGW, I figured if I want to go back to the stock ball I could order the shaft later on. In reality I just have the old shifter and knob all packed up if I ever decide to sell the Boss. Highly doubtful... ;D

Justin

I went with the OEM shaft. Mostly because I am poor and I like the Boss knob and seeing how the MGW knob is the same and not quite as finished looking I figured I would use that money else where.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
boss2511 said:
I went with the OEM shaft. Mostly because I am poor and I like the Boss knob and seeing how the MGW knob is the same and not quite as finished looking I figured I would use that money else where.

You're smarter than me ! ;D

ace72ace

Heh, weeks my friend. I'm in no rush as I have a Q3 build, seems like we have a bunch of new orders that will be in the next batch. Now need to price out some Dynamat.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel