The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Barton vs. MGW?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
Paste in the URL you get from sites like photobucket, flickr, etc. That's the easiest method. Nifty method for the web page to fetch the image from another server while rendering the page on your web browser.

OK, been reading about this MGW shifter vs. the stock... What does it do to your warranty though? Can Ford say "Hey, you took out the stock shifter so we will not warranty any tranny parts since you "Modded" it.".

Is that the risk you take? Or will Ford allow a "Shifter change".?

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
rpm3dinc said:
OK, been reading about this MGW shifter vs. the stock... What does it do to your warranty though? Can Ford say "Hey, you took out the stock shifter so we will not warranty any tranny parts since you "Modded" it.".

I have heard of dealers like tasca that will install it before you buy the car so I wouldnt think so but I wouldnt say you 100% wont have to worry about it if you do have a transmission problem later. but they do have to prove that the shifter or its installation is what caused the problem.

Justin

ace72ace said:
Paste in the URL you get from sites like photobucket, flickr, etc. That's the easiest method. Nifty method for the web page to fetch the image from another server while rendering the page on your web browser.
you also have to add in the code on either side for it to display there is also a icon above the reply box that looks like a tiny picture that will paste the code in for you.
to tag a youtube here you just click on the youtube icon then paste the url in the middle

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
2012YellowBoss said:
It is not a fix all, mainly the 5Th gear lock-out is still there but better. 3-4 5-4 is way better then the stock unit for me. Most of us have seen the way the instructors can drive the Boss around the track at Miller with the stock shifter. Having said that I saw one (champion winning) driver put one of the cars into reverse instead of first after backing out of the garage. I did that many times with the stock shifter but never with the new unit.

What I can say is it makes the shifting way more precise, it is very hard to miss a shift anymore. The shorter throw also makes shifting faster and with less effort.

My sentiments exactly.

jeepinocala said:
Mine came in yesterday will try and have it on this weekend not sure yet but will give a review I havent even had time to go through the box yet ;D working a lot of hours.. how do you post pictures on here?
For instructions on how to post photos on BMO read the following thread.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/boss-302-general-forum/a-tip-for-reading-boss-mustangs-online/

rpm3dinc said:

No they can not blame the shifter for the transmission problems but to be honest Ive read their warrante and being honest I believe once you have gotten through say 10000 miles pretty much every problem should have shown up that is not caused by abuse I am going to wait until 15000 miles then add a supercharger knowing it will kill warrante.

As far as warranty goes, they would need to go out of the way to prove the shifter caused the problem, unlikely I would guess. I don't think Ford should be responsible for aftermarket parts causing problems, however in my experience I don't see them looking for reasons not to cover a problem. It depends on the dealer and your relationship I guess.

PeteInCT said:
My sentiments exactly.

I think it was Peter that said the 5th gear lock-out feels like it cost him a second on the track, I have always felt that way myself. When I look at my tapes it does not really show this, funny how your mind tells you different while you are actually out there. It really feels like it takes a whole second to get it into gear but only a few times did I see myself really fighting to get it into gear.

It still jams up a little even with this shifter, however I have never missed lining it up to 5th. There were a few times (not many) that I did get it caught up between 3th and 5th mostly when I first started out on track with the stock shifter. Operator error, maybe? but it has not happen since.

With most modern cars, in my experience and from the other forums I have been on, major mechanical problems usually show up pretty quick. It is the electronics that go bad later in the warranty (ABS sensors, wiring harnesses, lock activators etc) which would not be voided unless you messed with those directly. But on the other hand, I know people who had tranny and motor issues with other brands and the dealers tried to void the warranty based on aftermarket exhausts and stuff like that. Ford has been good to me almost every time, and with a little talk to the service manager or warranty rep I usually get any little issues cleared up (we have a lot of Fords... 10 at the moment I believe and almost all are still under warranty so there have been a few issues especially back in the day when my Bronco was new).

That said, I will be waiting until the warranty is out before doing anything major, but partially because people will have had mods on long enough to know which are fairly safe.

I just installed an MGW on my buddys GT. Before I took his stock shifter off I compard to my BOSS and could tell the BOSS shifter felt much better and wondered what is the differance? Does anybody have pictures of there stock BOSS shifter after they have taken it off?

The MGW was a big improvement over stock GT shifter but I'm not having problems with mine and was just thing of putting a rear bracket on mine instead of a new shifter. But I just don't know what the differance is between the GT and BOSS shifter and would like to compare with out taking mine apart.

Justin

ORANGE CRUSH said:
I just installed an MGW on my buddys GT. Before I took his stock shifter off I compard to my BOSS and could tell the BOSS shifter felt much better and wondered what is the differance? Does anybody have pictures of there stock BOSS shifter after they have taken it off?

The MGW was a big improvement over stock GT shifter but I'm not having problems with mine and was just thing of putting a rear bracket on mine instead of a new shifter. But I just don't know what the differance is between the GT and BOSS shifter and would like to compare with out taking mine apart.
there is no difference between a GT/Boss or V6 shifter. I just installed the MGW shifter on my Boss last week. Much better than the stock one. Even better once you put some REDLINE MTL in it. If you arent having a problem with the shifter like finding third or fourth on a down shift, then maybe all you need is the rear bracket like the steeda one or one of the others. Driving my stock shifter around town normal I had no issues. Not until I was doing heated 7500 rpm shifts at the track. The centering springs are just to weak to send it home to third without some guidance and this would just end up with it finding 5th. Now there is no issues finding 3rd and the 5-4 downshift is much smoother.

I thought the Boss had a shorter throw compared to a 5.0?

I'm not having any shifting issues with my car and I have Redling MTL and the Steeda shifter bracket with the softer bushing. Another Boss owner drove my car yesterday and he thought mine felt more precise than his. The bracket doesn't make a huge difference but it does help and it's an easy and inexpensive mod to find out. While I have the Steeda bracket I'd buy the Joe Heck Racing bracket (it's less expensive) and get the harder bushing. There is supposed to be some increase in noise with the harder bushing but it will be closer to the MGW which has a solid bushing. I started a thread on the bracket in the Tech section.

With all of that said I may still buy the MGW at some point.

I have a standard Boss and a L/S. The L/S was always much smoother to shift than the standard Boss so I installed an MGW shifter in my standard Boss this weekend, huge improvement over stock. The L/S still seems pretty nice (not quite as crisp but still good) even after driving the standard Boss with MGW shifter. I'm sure being an L/S is not the differance, probably just got an exceptionaly smooth one installed in it. Funny thing about standard Boss, it never skip shifted. My L/S sometimes drives me nuts, guess I need to disable it.

OMG !!!!! I drove a Boss this week with the stock shifter and what a difference. I can't believe I ever drove mine that way before. There is no way I could drive the Boss on track again with the stock shifter since I would have no idea what gear it is in. The MGW has spoiled me for sure.

Also as far as i know the GT and Boss have the same factory shifter.

Said I would give my opinion of the mgw so far I have only looked it over as for the quality it is very good for the price they are not making much if any money on these. Starting with the main body, I am not a fan of galvanized hardware they use galvinized nuts and studs the washers are SS thats good and really there is no reason to worrie about the galvanized nuts and studs I am just not a fan but I am sure this is all cost effective the body is machined very well not alot of machining marks just the faces and that is pretty normal in production of parts like this so I would say so far pretty damn good, now lets go on to the shift knob, I ordered one of their black with white writting this is very nice and the upgraded lock nut a must have the shifter and shaft setup is great quality for sure. The shifter boot seems as good as could be no thoughts there and no worries it is fine. The rear support bracket is very well made I am not keen on the rubber as for bushings in it but I am sure it will not have much give at all should be fine maybe just grease it after a few years. The upper shift body looks just fine very well made, my only not cared for part of it is again a few galvanized studs and a few steel set screws no real big deal at all looking at the big picture they are giving an excellent deal that I really doubt anyone will try and compete with there just can not be much money made off this product if they go to all SS hardware completely and going to something like peek for the rear support bracket bushings ontop of pinning the main body for alignment I can see a shifter of this quality going in the 700 dollar range easy. Over all I am very glad I bought it and look forward to the install crossing my fingers for this Friday. All I can say is buy one while you can for this price.

When I order my MGW shifter, I'll get the heat shield also. Is the optional "Deluxe jam nut & washer" a gotta have item too? Is it used to position the shifter handle to the right orientation of the shifter knob?

Justin

302BOB said:
When I order my MGW shifter, I'll get the heat shield also. Is the optional "Deluxe jam nut & washer" a gotta have item too? Is it used to position the shifter handle to the right orientation of the shifter knob?
That is only needed if you are going to use a MGW knob. Which if you look at the two knobs they are the same I just think the MGW knob doesnt look as finished as the stock knob having that nut under the knob.

TMO Supporting Vendors